Won't come back in from walks...

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Won't come back in from walks...

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ok, so this is something that Tiberius has been trying to do now for a little over a month or so. We have no problems going to the door, sitting politely while I latch his leash, or sitting and waiting for the door to be opened. I also have him sit before we go out the complex door at the bottom of the stairs. He walks beautifully, either at a heel or at a loose length a few feet ahead and relaxed. However, when we get to the front of the building to come inside (doesn't matter if we've gone for a really long walk, short walk, or gone for a ride) he plops down and refuses to move. If I walk over to him and tell him up,or go to grab the top of the harness to put him back on his feet he'll either roll over with this mischevious look (which if I pull the harness from here, he can slip out) or he'll just become dead weight and lay back down. I've tried coaxing him in with a treat and give it to him when he comes in and sits again (once we make it to the top of the stairs and into the apartment with no trouble, any resistance, no treat) but this seems to have worn off in a week. I used to just drag him till he decided it was enough and then got up and came along as expected, but the easy walk will slip off if he's laying on his side (the only downfall of this harness!) He gets nothing free and he works for whatever he gets. He knows his place at home (even his play nipping me as a challenge has subsided), but this is still an issue. Any suggestions? I'm at a loss! He gets at least three walks in a day. One long one in the morning (usually) and two shorter ones around the block (which is already about a mile or so). He also gets to run and play off leash with his best friend almost daily for a half hour or more and sometimes gets to go to the dog park( about twice a week) so I don't think it's a lack of exercise issue as a challenge issue. He is 10 months after all, it would surprise me.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Won't come back in from walks...

Post by Sarahloo »

I should think it's a Chow thing! Loo loves outside so much, no matter how long he's been out he is reluctant to come in. He rolls around in the driveway before he reluctantly comes inside with me. I manage quite fine by reminding him of the meal that is waiting for him inside. He will come in, but he will show his displeasure first! :D

I don't really see it as a problem. Maybe I even think it is kind of cute! :D Can you absolutely not get him back inside?
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I think you're right Sarah, it is a chow thing. Cocoa can be reluctant to come back in from a walk as well, unless it is raining and then she's reluctant to go out and can't get back in fast enough. :lol:
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Oh, I've heard of dogs who don't like rain. Maybe some day I'll even have one... :x *dreams*
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

You mentioned you pup is 10 months old... Could it not be the naughty rebellious teenage period you're going through?
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My guess is that it is a rebellious thing. It sound like he is challenging your authority. You will just have to be more stubborn than he it. Eventually, he will see that this trick is not working, and will go along with the program. How long will that take? That is a good question. I would hope that it will only be a few weeks. Some things to try would be to ignore this behavior when he gets to the door. Look away from him and cross your arms to signify that you are not happy. If you have the time, just restart the walk and begin to go away from the door. This might confuse his strategy. His plan is to show you that he can make you do what he wants. Obviously, if he cannot accomplish this, then he is defeated. You might have to walk to the door, and when he stops, turn and walk around the block again. View it as good exercise. If there is another action which would show that you are in charge, then try that action. You could even mix it up a bit. He has to know that you are determined to be the leader.
A little example. Malachi will not come in for my wife after being let out for the last time in the evening. He will flop down in the middle of the yard and go selectively deaf. She would then have me go to the door and call him in. The other night she had had enough. She picked up the leash for the little dogs, and walked out the door shaking it overhead where he could see it. He got up and ambled to the door with the air of "I'm glad you showed up, I was ready to come inside." Now she will go to the door with the leash and he comes in. He knows that she is coming out there to get him and if necessary will drag him in. Of course, he ignores the fact that he is not wearing a collar and this is a quarter inch leash. Maybe it is the fact that he would be embarrassed by having her put a bright purple lead on him. :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Rory does the same at a much younger age. He doesnt lay down in defiance, but pulls to go back in the other direction whenever he sees the return steps. I keep just a little bit of his breakfast or dinner aside so he knows he gets some when he comes back in. We keep to a pretty regimented routine. 5 to 10 minutes after he eats, he goes out. Social walks dont involve eating, so that is more play time. Before and after 'business time', he gets food. So far, it seems to help.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Thanks everyone so far on your input. Let's see..
Sarah- It was cute the first time. After that I knew what it was and wasn't happy. He did this when we first got him, that's when I was able to drag him along. Then he stopped for a while. And he does it to my fiance sometimes too.
MissV- Yes, I really do think that's what it is.
Ursa- Unfortunately (and I know he knows it!) the most frequent time he does this is when I have to go to work and I'm taking him for his last walk before I get ready to go. I have tried the walk in the other direction and he just stares at me kind of like "haha, yea right. I'm not that dumb" I've used the authorative growl tone, I've dropped the leash and walked away, which he just continues to lay there. I've shut the door on him, still sits there. The only thing that seems to work is loop the leash through (after unclipping it) and use it like a noose type leash, tightening it around his neck right behind the ears. He gets right up and acts like he never did a thig. Follows every movement. Mind you, I don't strangle him, but I'm afraid one of these days he's going to avoid this tactic too and take off or something silly.
Rory-yea...I'm about to take cheese out with me. At night I can take out the laser pointer and he'll follow it, during the day completely different.

You have all at least made me feel better to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I suppose it's a chow thing. If I had a fenced in back yard, I'd let him sit out as long as possible...but alas this isn't the case right now. Funny thing is, when we tie him out (when we're visiting home) he doens't like to sit out there. Strange pup.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry likes to be tied up outside for a bit after a walk, sometimes he will want to come in and go straight back out the back door. I think he is just hot from walking and likes to cool down for a bit and get his breath back.
Thank you Sweatpea
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

^^^^^ Shaking in her boots!!! AGHAGHGHAGHAGHAG ... she screams running to hide her head in a pile of pillows on the bed. Max has just started doing this. Oh yeah ... he's our defiant one. We call Leo the Beat Cop and Max the Desk Seargent. Leo the tight end and Max the line backer. Lately, especially now that it's colder out, Max has (as George so aptly put it) plopped down and gone selectively deaf (I LOVE it!). No matter how I call, he will play Sitting Bull (or sitting boy, as we call it). The last two times, I have gone and grabbed our 20+ pound boy and carried him (barely) to the door and, fortunately, Leo will trot happily behind. This last time Max grunted at me, squirmed so he could see me and chuffed, to which I replied, "Well, now, boy if you're not going to come in when you're called then I will unceremoniously carry you, so there!"

I hope he got it! We'll see tomorrow. Now ... fast forward three months and he weighs FORTY POUNDS and I think I'm doomed!!! I try to make fun sounds about going in, praise the one who gets there first (they like the contests) or do some "woo hoo's we're going inside" stuff. Generally, they come right in but sometimes, Mr. Max decides he's the boss. Humpf. Guess I have more fun to look forward to.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yes Marti, Like I said...it was so much easier when he was smaller and I can just drag him along with his other harness that would just tighten. Not so much now that he's pushing 70 lbs. I wish you luck. Like I said, he stopped for a while. Then he figured out he could do it and almost get away with it again. I say almost because I won again tonight with a laser pointer, but only because he's a slave to it. I live for small victories though ;)
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kaysa »

It's a chow thing! Muñeco used to do that when he was very little, but the first time he did that I said "no more walks for you" and didn't walk him for 2 days, the next time we went out he did the same and again I applied the same punishment, the next time he even pushed pass me to come inside the house :D He behaves pretty well since then :D

He was 5 months at the time, but I resolved the issue of before and after walks the same way, no more walks for a couple of days and by the 3rd time he learned to sit to let me put his leash and waiting for the door to be opened and I even teach him to wait until I said "Go", he loves to walk outside so I guess not going out was too big a punishment for him so he learn to follow mommy's rules instead :D
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I have quite a lot of snow in the driveway right now (too weak to shovel! :( ) and Loo has made an art out of prolonging the inevitable, coming inside. He rolls around in the snow and plows through it like a sea lion. Personally, I love seeing him so high-spirited and unwilling to give up a great thing! That is part of the Chow charm, surely? And he always behaves so well inside, I don't mind the 2 minutes that I spend in the driveway with him.
It was fun to read that many Chows here do the exact same thing. I don't know if it is an act of rebellion. I'm sure there is a huge part of almost every Chow that is an outside guard dog, and that is what we see when they want to stay in front of the house. Loo would just love to stay out there and bark at everyone going by. So we compromise and he gets to stay out a little and then comes back inside with me without putting up too much of a fight.
Also like Piff Poff's theory. Could be true!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Oh Henry's favourite place to be is out front, he will even ask us when he wants to go out front versus the back, he will just watch the passers by and bark if there is a threat. He has been known to be completely asleep while someone comes up to the path and only barking awake when he hears the doorbell lol.
Thank you Sweatpea
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

The only thing that seems to work is loop the leash through (after unclipping it) and use it like a noose type leash, tightening it around his neck right behind the ears. He gets right up and acts like he never did a thing.
That is what Kitty (wife) will do to Malachi if he won't get up and come in. He knows it, so he is Mr. Cool about acting like he really wants to come in when she goes out the door. You could get a second small leash and carry it with you. Then you could use it if he doesn't want to get up. That way you will not have to unclip him. They can definitely be hard headed. You could reach down and grab a big handful of that fluffy mane, which is where another dog would grab. Then use it to pull him along while making suitable alpha noises. I have been taking my thumb and forefinger and holding just a pinch of hair while telling Malachi to wait until I am ready for him to come through the door. It is just a symbolic thing to show that I am in charge. You are not going to be able to grab enough hair to physically move him. My guess is that it is a test to see just who is the most stubborn.
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Yeah, my boy has been known to plop down, roll over onto his back, squirm around and chew on the grass with the side of his mouth when he doesn't want to go in the direction I want. If he gets me laughing he knows he can get away with it for a little while. If I get real serious and use my alpha voice while pulling him to his feet by directly using my hand on his collar he knows it is time to obey.

Loha's Dad
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Thanks again everyone! I guess I'll just have to go with the "It's a chow thing" and take along his little leash from the breeder when he was small. It's not too much extra to carry. I can't wait till we have a back yard and he can just lay out as much as he wants. Until then, we'll continue to work on coming inside one way or another. I'm sure he'll get over it eventually or something. At least I know that I'm not the only one, and that it's not really poor training on my part. :)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

This may sound silly, but do you talk to him during his walks? I know it sounds silly, but I don't think it's so much a rebellious thing, since you say he does it most of the time during his last walk before you go to work. My two try the same thing, but mostly they will decide that every leaf and every crack in the side walk has to be thoroughly investigated. I have my own tricks for this walk; 1st, it is a very short walk, no more than 20 mins, usually 15, 2nd I constantly remind them to "go potty", "mom has to go to work," let's go, hurry up" I walk them briskly and don't allow any sniffing or looking or anything, this is a business only walk. I sound like a drill sergant I'm sure, with my constant, "let's go" and "hurry up" When we get to the door it is the same, I say, "In." if they try to ignore it, then I say, "In in in, let's go, move it."

The thing is he is perfectly aware that you are going to leave him, and he's trying to put that off for as long as possible. So you have to just tell him--by words and actions--that yes you are going to leave, and that he has to just deal with it, it is the routine and he has to live with it. He never understand why you leave him most days, but he'll get used to it. Make the walk before leaving for work about business...and make all the other walks fun times where he can romp and play and even hang outside for a bit if he wants to...he'll soon learn the difference.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

It's not silly at all, I do see what you're saying. And I don't do this every time, but I do "drill" him so to speak when I'm reaaallly in a hurry. It doesn't make a difference to him when I do do it, but maybe I'll try it more often and see if that helps too. And yes, he does the all of a sudden things need thoroughly checked out right outside the apartment stalling routine. Lol. Silly dogs.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Ours are good at delaying tactics too when they know it is time for me to go to work but I have several ways of getting everything done on time. Like you Victory there is absolutely no room for nonsence at that time and so they know whiich walk is which. If there is nonsence then the gruff voice comes out and boy does that make Bramble move. Izzie doesn't respond so well to that because frankly she doesn't give a d..m about anything. So my means of getting her moving is based on the fact if I pull or tug she just leans back or lies down so a prodding knee behind her has much more effect. It is litterally a small jab at the end of my step but it motivates her forward because no chow likes something coming up behind and their response is to move forward quickly away. I acompany this with a "Come on, get a move on" and now I can say that in my gruff voice and no need for the push. She knows that I mean it and that is the main motivation. Once you find what works, you need to keep a whole different voice and mannerism for this walk and I think he will learn. Ten months is also a time where he is testing you and trying to let you know he is boss. This will pass but make sure by the time it passes he knows who is boss. Good luck :)

Imo the most important piece of advice breeders should give us when we buy a chow should be "Never start an argument you cant win with a chow"!!
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

the most important piece of advice breeders should give us when we buy a chow should be "Never start an argument you can't win with a chow"!!
Sirchow has that right. Now Kitty seems to have Malachi trained. When she comes out the door, he knows it is time to come in. Just keep at it.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Sirchow I did the same thing, a little push with my knee, I also snap the leash like you would the reins on a horse, slap it across their butts and they move. I don't slap it hard, just a little touch...works well.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
willfrommaine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfrommaine »

Our chow did the same thing, but in the reverse direction, she would do it in the driveway before we took a walk. She would sit down then roll onto her side, and if I tugged more on her leash she would roll onto her back. It was funny the first time... I tried to coax her with treats, didn't work for long, or I would have to repeat every 10ft. We just use a collar and if I pull too hard she will get out of it, so I resorted to grabbing her collar and tightening it up with my hand as I dragged her onto her feet. The first few times I had to drag her a bit forward before she would walk, then she would do it again 20ft later and I wold have to do it again. Eventually if I even touched her collar she would get right up and now if I just walk toward her and tighten up the leash she will get up and behave. If you are consistent and patient you will win eventually. Good luck.
-will
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

willfrommaine wrote:Our chow did the same thing, but in the reverse direction, she would do it in the driveway before we took a walk. She would sit down then roll onto her side, and if I tugged more on her leash she would roll onto her back. It was funny the first time... I tried to coax her with treats, didn't work for long, or I would have to repeat every 10ft. We just use a collar and if I pull too hard she will get out of it, so I resorted to grabbing her collar and tightening it up with my hand as I dragged her onto her feet. The first few times I had to drag her a bit forward before she would walk, then she would do it again 20ft later and I wold have to do it again. Eventually if I even touched her collar she would get right up and now if I just walk toward her and tighten up the leash she will get up and behave. If you are consistent and patient you will win eventually. Good luck.
-will
If I were you, I would try to find out why she doesn't want to go on walks. Do her joints hurt, maybe? Is she afraight of things?
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I don't know if it's that serious, Sarahloo. Will, how old is the dog? I know when we first got Ty he did not respond well to the collar at all and the moment we put a harness on him he walked fine. We did ease into collar training later and he'll accept it now, but for a while it was a constant pull back. Also, I did mention when we first got him he would do this stubborn plop thing too and it didn't matter if we were coming or going. It seems you have it straightened out though!