Dad going overseas for maybe a bit more than a month!! HELP

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

N.Princess
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dad going overseas for maybe a bit more than a month!! HELP

Post by N.Princess »

My dad is going to be going overseas for about 1 month or maybe a bit more. tomorrow on Friday we will be getting our chow chow she will be 8 weeks old, my question is will our chow chow forget him when he gets back. He will be leaving some time late January 2012 so he will leave whn she is about 2 maybe 3 and a bit months old. Also my mum, dad and brother work from 8 am till 5:00 pm will she consider them strangers or still part of he family.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Dad going overseas for maybe a bit more than a month!! H

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Your dad will be with the puppy for a month and a half. So this is at least some time to socialize with the dog. I don't know how much bonding will occur in that amount of time. Now his scent will not disappear from the house in that time, so the dog will be able to recognize him by the scent when he returns home. You could put your dad's sock or other piece of clothing in the dog's bed to help her firmly fix on the scent. When he returns, she will have to approach him and do all the sniffing and recognition while your dad is being still. Everyone in the family will have to work with the puppy so that she gets used to the whole family. She will probably pick a favorite, and it will take a while for her to bond. The 8 to 5 routine should not be an issue. Dogs do real well with fixed routines. I suppose you will be at home with her while the rest of the family is at work. Some dogs do have separation anxiety, so you will have to work with this should it occur. Basically, she wants the same thing the rest of us want: to have a secure home and to be loved.