Leaving Chow Chow at home & and barking

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Matta
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leaving Chow Chow at home & and barking

Post by Matta »

Hello.

Me and my girl are the proud owners of a 5 year old Chow Chow named "Popi",that we have recently got from a shelter. He is very kind, patient, easy going and polite- so far :wink: He has got all vacsines and papers in order.

He does needs to be home alone some days a week. He now sleeps in our hallway (enclosure) during the night, and has no problems with that. Would it be best for him to be in a crate during the day if and when we are both gone for work, or should we find a different option (possibly just let him stay out) ? People mean different things, so it is hard to say.

Also, he has developed a bad habit of growling and barking at other dogs when we are walking him. It is no problem holding him back, but I believe that we probably should adress this right away instead of "letting it be". Any suggestions?

Thanks for your kind reply.

Matta from Norway

ME
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Leaving Chow Chow at home & and barking

Post by tabate45 »

Hi Matta,

I see no one has replied, so I'll give you my opinion. Crates are bad for Chows. Since they know that where you live together is also "their home" they rarely chew or mess in the home. I have never had a problem with an older Chow being left alone for long periods. As for the growling at other dogs, it sounds like he just needs to be socialized with other dogs. Just take your time and introduce him to some.

Tracey
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

No, crates are NOT bad for chows. They are very good for chows, but not to be left in for long periods of time,the same as any dog. It is a safe place for them. It I'd a matter of choice whether you want to use a crate or not. Chows do not tend to mess in the house, I can leave my girl for over 9 hours at a time knowing that she will be fine and won't mess. I have not had to use a crate, but I know that a lot of people here do use one. As for the growling, socialization is the way forward. Not contact at first, just get him used to being around other dogs. If he shows signs of barking or growling, distract him immediately. Sitting until he stops is good. As soon as he stops the barking/ growling, set off again.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Matta, please read through this forum to get some ideas about crate training. I did not crate train my two, but the typical practice in my house hold is to provide our dogs with specific bedding arrangements, and we would then tell the dogs to "go to your bed" when we needed them to be in a safe and secure setting. Chows don't grasp the concept of "bed" so that hasn't worked. I have a friend who raises dobies, and she swears by crate training. Her dogs take to it.

Socialization is needed for your chow. Again, read through the forum for advice of socialization. Chows seem to need more socialization that other breeds. Also, if you live in the good old USA, there are some valid legal reasons for making sure your chow is socialized, since there is a common belief that they are vicious dogs (along with a number of other breeds). When I lived in Savannah, I would take the dogs out to the dog parks, since the city had several. Now that I live in a somewhat rural area, I go to Petsmart, where they get to meet other people and dogs.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Matta
Being that Popi is 5 you might have a harder time trying to make him feel comfortable with crate training now. We did crate training as a puppy but as we felt she was okay with her freedom (over the puppy chewing stages) we left the crate door open and just baby gated the kitchen off and she was happy there during the night and when we had to leave for long periods . she actually slept in the crate at night with the door open on her own accord.(husband had asthma so we couldn't have her upstairs near the bedrooms the dr said keep the sleeping areas as clear of dog as possible) She quicky got use to her sleeping area and after a while she just went to the kitchen after her last walk of the night, and we didn't need gates she just knew her place at night. We did get rid of the crate years ago just cause I wanted the space back..and she slept in a doggie bed.
dkas2929
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dkas2929 »

Matta,
On staying out I think that would depend on where you live, how big your yard is, will the dog stay home ect. Does Popi tear things
up in the house when your not home? If not he should be fine indoors if you don't have a fenced yard for him. As for crates my other
dog (not my chow) still sleeps in her travel crate although I took the door off and her favorite pillow is in there.The growling might
be fixed if you take him to a dog park and let him get used to other dogs. :)