1st time to play with dogs other than parents

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Gigi
Rank 0
Rank 0

1st time to play with dogs other than parents

Post by Gigi »

I am caring for my grandchildren's two adult , 8 year old Bijons. Sahara, my 4 month old Chow girl is so excited & wants to play with the Bijons. Of course neither Bijon wants to play & they growl & show their teeth at Sahara. Sahara isn't taking "no" for an answer. This is the second day of this 3 ring circus... I finally put the Bijons in their crate & Sahara in her crate to quiet her down.

My question is, is this normal behavior for a Chow puppy? I am thinking it is. The Bijons are sisters & have never been trained or around puppies, just adult dogs. They do fine when we go for our morning & evening walk. Maybe I just need to keep walking them....
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 1st time to play with dogs other than parents

Post by BeckiHutton »

My mum once came round with one of her jack russels. This reminds me exactly of lily's behaviour. Pol
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Gigi wrote: My question is, is this normal behavior for a Chow puppy?
What? Wanting to play? Um, YES!!! :)
Gigi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gigi »

I know the pup just wants to play, but the constant barking from Sahara & growling from the little dogs is a little over bearing. Just how much is too much? Is there such a thing as a balance with this interaction? The Bijons are leaving this evening so I can get back to working with Sahara on her training. I tried working with her on a few commands... waste of time, she had the attention span of a gnat.

Thanks for the comments.