Home Alone Training

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SamuraiZack
Rank 0
Rank 0

Home Alone Training

Post by SamuraiZack »

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how to teach my 4 month old chow to be able to handle himself being left home alone. I'm going back to school the next month and would like to teach him some independence before I leave him alone for several hours. I've heard crate training works but I'm currently in an apartment on the 3rd floor so there are no yards for him to go pee/poop. Do you just put pee-pads inside the crate or something for them to use the restroom when no one is available to take them outside?

I was thinking about buying a crate and was wondering if the size of 36" L x 24" W x 27" H would be good enough for my chow to grow into.

Thank you!
Zhuyos mom

Re: Home Alone Training

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. The size of crate is good. It's the same size I have for my chow/s.

If you are to crate him for that long period of time, make sure there is a water bowl in the crate. I use a non-spill bowl. Yes, you can use the pee-pee pads they sell in the stores.

Could you babygate off your kitchen or bathroom while you are away? Then you can spread newspapers/pee-pee pads on the ground for him to use. Others have used old towels or old bathrugs with the rubber backing. It might be more comfortable for your chowling.

I have also used doggie diapers - for my chowling because he couldn't make it to the door before he started to trickle and for my elderly chows for the same reason.

Just make sure you take him on a walk to do his business before you leave him alone in your apt.

Good luck.
SamuraiZack
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SamuraiZack »

Hmmm I can do the gated thing for the bathroom at least. I decided to train my chowling to use pee pads when I'm gone. However he's pretty house train to sit next to the door to tell me that he wants to go out to use the restroom.

Will training him to use the pee pad stop him from telling me to use the restroom since he has the pee pad?

What I want to do is pretty much for him to tell me if he wants to go out when I'm around and him to use the pee pad when I'm not. I was thinking he might do this if I remove the pee pad when I'm around but I'm not sure if this will work. Any tips on how I can train my puppy to use both the pee pad and the outdoor?

I was also wondering if they know to pee on pee pads or do they just learn to pee in that area where the pee pad is or not?

Thank you very much and this forum has been great for me!
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

I don't know that it is reasonable to expect a 4 month old in a crate with water to hold it all day. Perfect case scenerio would to be able to have someone let him out for a potty break during the day. Chows want to be with there owner as much as they can especially when there young, it helps with the bonding. If that is not an option then gating them off in an area such as a kitchen would be next best case scenerio. Putting them in a bathroom with the door shut is not in my opinion good for a chow, or any dog. Eight hours or more looking at the inside of a bathroom with no stimulation during the day one could get pretty cranky.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

SamuraiZack wrote: Will training him to use the pee pad stop him from telling me to use the restroom since he has the pee pad?
No. Unless that is what you want him to do. He'll follow what you train him to do. The pad is/should be a temporary option for him to choose when he can't go outside. It's a better choice than soiling on your rug or on your bed when he can't hold it anymore. Remember when a dog urinates on a cloth surface, if it is not cleaned thoroughly, they often scent it and will go back and do it at the same place.
SamuraiZack wrote:What I want to do is pretty much for him to tell me if he wants to go out when I'm around and him to use the pee pad when I'm not. I was thinking he might do this if I remove the pee pad when I'm around but I'm not sure if this will work. Any tips on how I can train my puppy to use both the pee pad and the outdoor?
Just keep the pad in his safe spots, like the bathroom or crate. While he is still little and his bladder isn't fully trained to "hold it", I suggest right in front of the door he takes to go out with you. A chow is easy to potty train. You just need to keep a fairly regimented routine on his going outside to do his business, don't be late or lazy and you must honor those times. Otherwise, he'll find a way to train you by having "accidents" - when duty calls, it calls. Also, unless he is feeling poorly, he'll eventually wait for you to do his business. If you are consistent with is "going out to do his business" schedule, he should be potty trained before he is 6 months old.
SamuraiZack wrote:I was also wondering if they know to pee on pee pads or do they just learn to pee in that area where the pee pad is or not?
they just learn to pee and deficate on the pad (or newspaper).

Good luck. Remember, the crating or bathroom gate is temporary. Once he is fully potty trained, he'll wait for you to come home.
kendock1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kendock1 »

This one is what I call the extremely impressive article. It has great detail that are easy to understand and it also has a great stuff. I can’t wait to read more of your posts.