house train

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CoCo25
Rank 0
Rank 0

house train

Post by CoCo25 »

Hello there. I just got my very first puppy 2 days ago, and he's a male chow.
he is 2 months old, turning 3 this coming thursday. Only problem i have with him, is peeing inside our house.
i was told to put/catch his poop or pee whenever he do it. He stays in our garage most of the time and i think
he only goes inside our house when he wants to poop. I can live with catching his poo/pee, but the problem is when we sleep.
i dont want to leave him in our garage for the night, cause im afraid he might get sad, or worse he might be taken by others.
So i let him sleep inside, then place newspaper in the corner , hoping he will do his thing there. but no, he pees/poops in many spots in our house.
i dont want to crate train him.
Can yoo guys give me some advice, or new way of crate training him?
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: house train

Post by Jdcell100 »

Chows. Are meant to be part of a family not left in a garage or to be isolated
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

I second JDcell100's comment- Chows love to be part of a family. They are one of the easiest if not the easiest breed to potty train.. I kid you not Matilda was potty trained in 2 weeks. Please take the time to let your Chow Chow become a part of your family and stay inside the house with the rest of the family. It helps them bond with you much better, and in reality that is what they love to do.
Last edited by oceans on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I third Jdcell100's post. Chows thrive on being a part of the family. And as oceans said, chows ARE one of, if not THE easiest breeds to potty train. My last purebred chow pretty much potty trained herself. She had 1 accident EVER when she was a puppy. And most likely, your puppy is going potty in the house because he doesn't see it as HIS living space. Chows will not potty in their living space(which is why he's not doing it in the garage). You need to schedule regular potty breaks about ever 15 minutes at first, and then you can start spacing them out farther. But make sure you take him out right after he eats, drinks, plays, and sleeps. And crate training isn't a bad thing, I don't understand why so many people think it's this evil thing. My dogs are crate trained and absolutely love their crates. It's their "safe place" and they even go in them to sleep when I leave them to do as they please, so please reconsider this. A crate is a valuable thing with puppies. It's a great place to have them if you can't keep a good eye on them(not that it's ok to keep them locked in it all day).
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Sometimes dogs and their owners have trouble making each other understand. The first day I went to the shelter to meet my male, they bring him in from the kennels, and I have to wipe up the floor. The next day, I pick him up and take him around to visit friends and show him off, I am having to clean up a number of wet spots. I get him home, and we go out into the yard several times that evening, and things are going ok. He and Ursa sleep by the side of the bed. First thing in the morning, he makes a little noise to get my attention, and I am a little slow getting up, so I am rewarded with having to mop up the floor. Lesson learned. When he made any kind of noise, I took him outside. I never had to clean up the floor again. Now, there was a lot of "let' go outside", and we would make a big deal of it. And he would go out right after feeding in both the morning and evening.

Ok, where does this leave you. Take your dog when you first get up, when you come home, after meals, and any time he acts like he might need to go outside. Praise him when he eliminates outside. He will get the message. Keep an eye on him when he is inside with you. If you let him sleep in the bedroom with you, and you close the door, he will probably scratch at the door or make other indications he wants. That also puts the ball in your court. You are probably going to have to clean up after him a few more times. That goes with having a puppy. At his age, he should learn fairly quickly. As Jdcell100 notes, he should be part of the family. Obviously, if he thinks his home is the garage, then he is not likely to recognize your home as a place to keep clean. If he has been in the garage for any time, take him outdoors before you bring him in the house. If possible, walk him in the same places so he can establish a routine.

I see that Tippsy's mom and oceans commented while I was writing. While I have not crate trained my dogs, I can see it as very good, especially for Chow Chows since I think they seem to desire a "safe place" more so than other breeds. My Dobie breeder friend swears by it. She thinks it gives the dog an additional sense of belonging.
CoCo25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CoCo25 »

he is staying with us inside. thats what im saying. he pees inside while we sleep. he pees in my room, in our living room. im asking how can i train him not to pee inside while we are sleeping. :)
CoCo25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CoCo25 »

thats
CoCo25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CoCo25 »

thanks for the suggestions by the way. :) I was succesful training him to go outside whenever he wants to pee or poop, but still the problem is while we are sleeping, WITH US. he poops in the middle of the night, i dont know if he made any noise or sign, cause im sleeping. But as soon as i wake up, poops and pees scatter in different parts of our house
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

The only thing I can think is to crate train. That's how I broke my current dogs of peeing and pooping in the house.
Jess
CoCo25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CoCo25 »

wouldnt crate training turn them wild or something? :D

@ursa's daddy.
thanks sir. but what do you mean by ". If possible, walk him in the same places so he can establish a routine."?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I have used crate training for all my chows . I used it mostly when she was a puppy for keeping them safe at night while we slept.They could get into too much if they had the run of the house. also they don't like to mess where they have to sleep. letting them as young pups have too much run of the house leaves many opportunities to mess and walk away from it for you to find later. we kept Nikki in the kitchen area when we couldn't watch her in the day time, which was only a short time before she was trusted to have more freedom for the house. Nikki was pretty much trained by the time we got her. she does not use the crate any more and sleeps on her own in the kitchen in her bed .
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

CoCo25 wrote:wouldnt crate training turn them wild or something? :D
No, not at all. Why would it turn them wild? You're not just leaving them to become crazy in the crate.

This is my mix girl choosing to be in her crate.
Jess
CoCo25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CoCo25 »

okaay. i understand. thanks guys. does the size of the crate matters?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I bought a larger crate that would house her as she grew but it had a divider in it for puppy size. I put a little cushion (dog bed) inside too. Usually most buy a crate that will house the dog as full grown as Jess did. When putting Nikki in I always threw her some treats in the crate until she got so use to just walking in at anytime .. Nikki too would just go in the crate on her own like Jess' photo.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

CoCo25 wrote:okaay. i understand. thanks guys. does the size of the crate matters?
Yes it does. Most say it has to be big enough for them to stand up, turn around and stretch out when they lay down. I personally prefer larger though. The kennel Dixie's in, in the picture is 36 inches long by 23 inches wide by 25 inches high. It was actually HUGE for my purebred chow girl... She was only 45 pounds but I'm not sure how tall she was.
Jess
duncansdd@juno.com
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duncansdd@juno.com »

For what it's worth...I 2nd,3rd,4th...etc...... what has been already stated. Your pup doesn't know to respect the house yet and having a crate is a phenomonal thing for the dog. It's "Their" space. Titus loves just hanging out in his. I rarely close and/or latch the door. Now, when we first got him I did close and latch but that really didn't last any longer than a month tops.
These are extremely intelligent animals. Use that to your advantage.
I used baby gates to cordon off the carpeted areas when he was a pup and showed him that we don't want him in certain area/rooms. He got it and after a couple months of that i removed the gates and he has respected those areas since. No problem...he has so much space other than that area that he is not even interested in it.
Also, they were bred a s guard dogs and have an amazing ability to hold their bladder from my experience....others...what's been your experiences??? Titus is in no hurry in the morning to go outside even after 8+ hours overnight. he would rather take his time stretching, yawning and saying good morning to us first.

Good luck...it should really help and work if he starts staying in a crate overnight plus you will have a nice little home for him... :D

Take care!
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Well I just got my chow pup, Po, last week and to my surprise he was house trained. He was a few days shy of being 4months when I got him. He would inform me he would want to go out with signs of whimper or give me attention otherwise he would be off exploring the house.

Last night was his first accident. He peed in the house it was due to the side affects of the vet's hot spot treatment, I fell into the novice mistake of not washing all the shampoo off. =( Also that accident I am sure he was not aware of it since he was sleeping in his own pee and chows are very clean they would never pee where they sleep (from what I read).

Also he is not crate trained I am getting him a crate so he can have his own room since under the coffee table ideal living arrangements.
Scottevans
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Scottevans »

I'll suggest you that this is not the problem, in fact he needs some more training for it.
The prices of the properties are rising day by day : evaluation immobiliere
Ching Ai
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: house train-inside and out:)

Post by Ching Ai »

Hi all, I am a proud new owner of a 2 month old chow, chingai. We live in downtown Seoul, on the 19th floor of an apartment complex. Suffice to say it will be difficult to get him out every time he has to go and we were told to refrain from taking him out for the first week. Ive read several posts suggesting he will "naturally" train himself, since chows dont like doing their business where they live. So far his favorite place to go is on any carpet in the house, especially the one in our living room.

Initially we thought we might train him to go in the bathroom but my girlfriend read something online that said if his paws were constantly getting moist or wet it may cause problems for him. Instead we bought some pee pads and set three of them near the bathroom(which is at the entrance of our apt). Anyway, he still prefers the carpets. It's only been two days but I want to make sure I am doing this right in case I have to change my strategy and risk confusing him :(

Also, a little confused whether I should scold him for pee or poo in the wrong place, so far i havent because i was worried he would start doing so secretly (like when my parents didnt allow me to do so many things)

So, I guess my question is, what is the best set up and is it possible to get him to use a pee pad regularly for now and perhaps once or twice a day later if I cant get him out for some reason. Should I abandon the pads all together after a week and just take him out? We are very active and will certainly have him out mountain climbing soon(well, trekking, we call it mountain climbing here) so dont worry he will have plenty of time out.

PS-we dont have a crate either, but were thinking of getting one for night time. my deepest appreciation for your thoughts, im a first timer.