Need help getting found chow puppy to respond to me

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lorraine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need help getting found chow puppy to respond to me

Post by Lorraine »

I rescue dogs in my county and I have found a little chow puppy that is very leery of humans. I realize from reading up on Chows that many are not friendly with humans, they just tolerate them. I want him to be more socialized before I adopt him out or he will stay with me.

He has been checked by a vet, is healthy and is UTD on shots, so it is not a health issue.

This puppy (about 3-4 months old) loves to play wiht my other dogs (I have 9) and they get along well, he is submissive and not food aggressive at all.

Any suggestions as to how I can get him to be a bit more friendly. I am not pushing him, waiting for him to come to me, but he is just not coming at all. He wags his tail and wants to , but his feet just don't move....
You can live without dogs and horses...but why would you?
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

First, thank you for rescuing the Chowling. My heart breaks when I hear that story, because you are probably that baby's first postive human contact. :cry:

The only advice I can give you is have alot of patience. Sit on the floor and just let him come to you. The key, IMO, is to appear uninterested. Chows are not like other breeds of dog. They are more like cats in nature. He will eventually come to you if he begins to find you intriguing. Can't give you a timeframe - they are so individualistic that any estimate I could give would definitely be wrong! :roll:

Good luck and keep us informed!
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
kingalls

Shy Chow Puppy

Post by kingalls »

Lorraine,
Patience...patience...patience....When Shiloh first showed up she hid under our deck until the evening to eat some kibble. She was about 3 months old at the time. At first we tried to rush it (petting, come!) but it just frightened her. It took weeks before she wasn't afraid to be on the deck with us at the same time. A couple of months and we could pet her with our feet. If we reached out with our hands she backed away. It was almost six months before she dared to walk into the house and explore. She made huge strides after being fixed and I kept her in the house during the recovery period. Getting her a companion (Mr. Nahkohe) helped her even more.
With your other animals your puppy might come around sooner but just be patient and let your little one make the call when she's ready.

Karen :wink:
Lorraine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lorraine »

Thanks, I am being patient, VERY patient!!! 8)

I am now up to 6 dogs in the yard wtih him and they love to play with him, he runs up to us to play, but will back away if he thinks he is "too close" to me.

My next step is to take a chair and a book in the yard wtih him and a few dogs and just sit, until he comes to me.

I can tell he wants to be near me, but is afraid. he wags his tail when he sees me, but from a distance.

It just breaks my heart to see him in his yard alll by himself when my other 9 dogs are having fun playing in the fenced area beside him...

I really want to let him out with them, which is one of my goals...that way, he will have about an acre to run and play in....

Is there any other website I can put him on to adopt out, once he has come around to humans? Is there much call for chow puppies?
You can live without dogs and horses...but why would you?

Post by Guest »

Lorraine wrote:Thanks, I am being patient, VERY patient!!! 8)

Is there any other website I can put him on to adopt out, once he has come around to humans? Is there much call for chow puppies?
If you're a rescue or part of a shelter org, you can post on Petfinder.com.

http://www.petfinder.com/post/classifiedhop.html