New puppy; first Chow.

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Emilyn
Rank 0
Rank 0

New puppy; first Chow.

Post by Emilyn »

H'lo. I just got my Chow pup, Buddy, yesterday; my stepsister who lives next door adopted his sister. They're only six weeks old, and I've been having a few concerns about mine. First off: he's been whining constantly this morning. I didn't notice anything like this last night - he's even whining while he eats. He doesn't appear to be hurt, although he is quite clumsy and fell off my bed twice. It seems to stop when I pet him but after a minute or two he'll start again.

Secondly: I have other animals. I have indoor cats and another indoor dog - a Chihuahua-Feist mix. I also have outdoor dogs, although he probably won't go near them, as they were trained previously to be wary and more on the aggressive side of the spectrum. The point is that I need to make sure that he gets along with my indoor animals. My other dog will rarely have anything to do with him - this is normal for her, and she'll come around eventually - and growls at him when he comes too close to her. He appears to want to play with the cats but I'm afraid he'll end up becoming aggressive and hurting them.

Lastly: he seems to be a bit skittish. Yesterday it took me hours to get him calm enough to approach him without him backing away. Today, although he's improved a lot, he has moments where he tries to run; and when I go to pet him on the head he ducks. He doesn't seem to like strangers too much - we've taken both him and his sister on a walk around a store where people praised them and tried to pet them but he always ran to hide behind me. Is this normal for a puppy his age?

I suppose I should add that I'm only sixteen years old, and this is only the second puppy I've had to train on my own - the first I was forced to sell once she reached twelve weeks of age. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jacks920
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New puppy; first Chow.

Post by jacks920 »

One of the reasons could be it's only 6 weeks old. To young to be taken away from Mom. Why was this dog taken so early?
shavior
Rank 0
Rank 0

Greetings ;P

Post by shavior »

Well i have a chow chow too... of 4 months and i bought him whenhe was 8 weeks old..and i have to saythat i had the same problems..... about the whining i have to say that is better if you go to a dr. .... and about the indoor pets. its fine to keep him with them because he begin to be more social and that's what you need... i have (2-3) he's is afraid of people that is better that growl or bite them... but if you grab him and pet him for a while he will better addapted to you. and he will be more friendly.