How to get a chow puppy to play

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bcalm
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to get a chow puppy to play

Post by bcalm »

My 5+ month puppy is from an abused background - she was feral when we got her and we have been working hard with her to overcome her fear of people. She is getting to the point where she wags her tail at us, comes to stand beside us and does a "playbow" on occasion. She lets us pet her, rub her, and hold her. We would like to play with her but we can't seem to get to the next step. Let me explain: when she is happy (wagging and relaxed), her reaction to a ball rolled to her is to back away or watch it go: her reaction to a stick thrown to the side or offered to her is to move away: her reaction to a furry toy trailed on the ground or "pounced" on by the human is to watch it. I can't figure out if she doesn't want to play or doesn't know what to do.

I have seen her do the chow two-footed pounce on grasshoppers and wrestle her dog cousins but, with humans, we can't seem to engage. Any ideas on how to get her to play? One trainer told me that she will never play because she was not with humans during her critical puppy months and most Chows have a low interest in playing at the best of times. I am not expecting a Labrodor (shudder :P ) but do I give up?

Thanks all!