Crossing Invisible Fence for a Walk

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dragonfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Crossing Invisible Fence for a Walk

Post by Dragonfly »

My chow mixes refuse to cross the invisible fence line when I remove their collars to go for a walk, even though they are trained to the fence and I've tried using methods advised. The only way seems to be carrying them over the fence line. Wondered if anyone has any tricks or similar experiences.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Crossing Invisible Fence for a Walk

Post by Tippsy'smom »

One of my friends uses harnesses on her dogs instead of a standard collar when they leave their invisible fenced yard. She ONLY puts the harnesses on when they're gonna leave the yard. and has no collar around their neck when they leave it.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Dragonfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dragonfly »

Thank you for the tip--harnesses did the trick and they now go out a certain spot on the property.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm glad it helped! :)
Jess
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Hello,
I am currently just browsing the forums to get more information since I plan to purchase a Chow within 6months period.

I have a question, invisible fences I've been reading that its actually bad for the pet such as cause it emotional distress and such. So basically, invisible wall should be a last resort type of option or no? Because I have a very huge backyard that isn't quite fence completely and I wanted to go the invisible fence route but I would not want to harm my chow.
Any feedback will be great!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Hello trry,

I wouldn't SUGGEST an invisible fence, MOST chows will run straight through them if they wanna get to something outside of it. Plus, even if it does keep YOUR chow(dog) in, it can't keep other critters out. A dog roaming can come straight into your yard without an barrier. So, in my mind, and invisible fence is a bad idea. I will ALWAYS go the route of a solid fence.

I've never seen where it causes emotional distress, but I have seen them not work.
Jess