Need advice on Chow Color Temperament

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Need advice on Chow Color Temperament

Post by LuLu33 »

Hi! I have had chows all my life, a black one then a beautiful Cinnamon Showgirl and we recently said goodbye to Moses, a big red chowboy.

Of course, our hearts and homes would not be complete without a chow in the family and we began our search.
We have found a cream chowboy that we are interested in.

I have heard that "creams" and smooths are different than your typical chow that their personalities are more flighty and silly.

I've not seem much difference in my other chows over the years but I have never had a Cream. He is a rough coat cream boy, mama was blue and papa was cinnamon.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts that creams were different?

Thanks!
chris

Post by chris »

I personaly have never heard of that. I don't think the color has anything to do with it. Although I have heard about the difference in temperment with smooth coat vs rough coat.

also, if you look around on this forum, you will see that sometimes the creams get a little darker as they get older but not quite as red or cinnamon color as the others.
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Chi-Ching is a cream. He is definitely a silly boy. He is bouncy and hyper and energetic. He is very outgoing. I don't think it has anything to do with color but I have never met a chow like him before and oddly enough, none of them have been creams, so who knows!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

I have been housemates with Benny, a cream guy, for about three months now, and although you probably can't make any sweeping generalizations from that, he is by far the greatest pooch who has ever owned me. Benny came from the pound,where he ended up as a street stray. He had all the hair rubbed off his neck by a heavy chain and weighed only 38 pounds. He was so layed back the pound had him listed as a senior dog, but his vet says he is about three or four years old. He is so far from silly that I was concerned that he was unhappy with his new home, since all he wanted to do was lay on the tile floor and sleep at first. After Lady, a Blackmouth Cur, about a year old joined our family a few weeks ago, Benny came out of his shell enough to actually play with her sometimes, but I still would not call him silly or flighty (at least not to his face).

I doubt that the color has much to do with the personality, but I only have this one data point. In my own prejudiced opinion, creams are the cutest dogs on the planet, with those biscuit ears and white fur coats. The only reason they are not allowed in big time dog shows are so that the other dgs will have a chance. But that's just my opinion. All chows are fantastic, no matter what color they are.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Need advice on Chow Color Temperament

Post by Zhuyos mom »

LuLu33 wrote: ...I have heard that "creams" and smooths are different than your typical chow that their personalities are more flighty and silly... Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts that creams were different?
We adopted two cream brothers and both had different personalities - like any siblings. Both were very sweet and affectionate just like our other non-cream chows. Neither were flighty. Silly?...they were/are just as silly as all the rest of our chows.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan is a cream. Would I describe him as silly? Not a chance compared to our rottweiler. But when he thinks no one is paying attention, he's a riot. He is my first Chow, so I really don't have anyone to compare him to, but just based on my experience with him, I will have Chows forever.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My girl is a black and she's the silliest thing ever! People think she's a puppy, she acts like she hasn't seen her first birthday, and she's four! One of my friends says she just enjoys life.

I'm not sure what flighty means, but some chows are laid back and dignified and some are more out going and some are in the middle. But I don't think color has anything to do with it, all mine have been either black or red and all a little different, the most reserved and dignified was MingToy a light red. The two silliest and energitic, LiChi and Firesong, both blacks.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Color, overall, should have no bearing on the personality unless a certain line that tends towards certain colors retains a particular temperament and then you could see some behaviors that seem to be "color-coded".

What I WILL say about colors is this: many backyard breeders are breeding for the dilute colors (creams and blues especially). You may very well see more temperament problems in dogs that are bred primarily for color over other more important traits (like temperament, health, etc.).

(This is not meant to point fingers at anyone - just a general rant). Color should be the last consideration in getting a dog, as far as I'm concerned. First should be health and temperament. Does the breeder do the proper health checks on ALL the breeding stock (OFA hips and elbows, eyes CERF'd, etc.)? Does the breeder have dogs with excellent temperaments to start with, especially the dams? Does the breeder raise these puppies in the home, providing them with various stimuli throughout their development so that they are used to other people, dogs, noises, maybe even cats and other animals, crates, riding in the car, etc.? These things are what make a good breeder.

And then it is also good to take into account the background on the sire and dam. Do both fit the breed standard? It doesn't make sense to produce puppies who are sub-standard when it's just as easy to breed quality dogs. The only way we keep this breed what it should be is to pay attention to the standards. Even if you're not interested in showing, it would be good to note how many champions and/or other titles are on the dogs in the pedigree. It shows that the stock has been proven to fit the standard, at least.

LuLu33, I don't know where you have found your particular dog, but breeding a blue to a cinnamon suggests to me that the breeders were looking for colors over the other traits, and that is a definite red flag to me. Breeding a dilute color to a dilute color can create some real pigment problems down the line. If you're getting a puppy then you might want to really look at everything else before you decide to take him. The health and temperament are majorly important as NONE of us want to have problems with our dogs later on, problems that could have been avoided by not getting a puppy from a poor breeder. Your breeder may be a good breeder, I don't know! But the health checks are SO important.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find the right chow to add to your home!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
chris

Post by chris »

Temperament, behavior and health are not dependent on color. Color is a matter of personal preference. Don't believe anyone who tells you certain colors are more desirable, valuable, healthier or better-tempered than others. Inexperienced or disreputable breeders, however, who mistakenly believe certain colors are more valuable sometimes use breeding stock with poor dispositions or health defects in order to produce colors they think will bring more money. Be sure to examine the parents of your puppy before purchase to make sure they have the quality of health, personality and appearance you want in your Chow!

© 2003 The Wisconsin Chow Chow Club, Inc.
all rights reserved.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Temperament, behavior and health are not dependent on color."
---

Sure they are. Just look at the various studies concerning the domestication of several species including foxes, showing that taming produces changes in coat color, hormones, brain chemistry, and behavior. This research was even used in the series about the domestication of dogs. Certain diseases are linked with certain colors, because inheritance is linked.

If you agree that Samoyeds are close relatives of Chows, and that Samoyed bloodlines were refined to produce a more pack-oriented dog who worked as a team member with humans, then you can also agree that breeding back Samoyeds into Chow bloodlines to produce whiter coats, will also bring out the linked Samoyed temperament in line-bred creamy white Chows. I find those Chows to be yappier, certainly more *bouncier*, more pack-oriented, and even friendlier towards strangers.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly is a red and she can be very silly! 8-}
So can Mabel but in a quieter, more subtle way. :roll: In fact, our retired vet used to open the surgery door when it was our turn and say, "OK come on in, Silly Milly!"
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

TiVo is my first chow and he's cream but I wouldn't describe him as silly. He's a puppy so he does some pretty cute and funny things but I think of all the puppies we've had over the years he's one of the most alert and aware puppies we've had. His hearing is extremely acute and he is already barking at strange noises in a very mature protective sort-of way. He's definitely not flighty. Of course, he's got a lot of growing up to do yet but he seems to be pretty mature for a puppy.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Excerpt: "The links between coat color and temperament"

"This strange link between coat color and temperament stems from a relationship between pigment production, hormones, and neurochemistry. It is not the case that coat color causes a difference in temperament, but rather that certain physiological processes underlie facets of both coat color and behavior.

In particular, the hormones and neurotransmitters involved in the stress response and other behaviors are closely integrated with pigment production.

Therefore, by breeding only the most docile animals in a group, humans select for physiological changes in the animal's hormonal and neurochemical systems, changes that impact morphology and physiology -- including fur color. A change in fur color during domestication may therefore be an incidental byproduct of selection for tameness.

Depigmented Fur

Pigment cells are found in the skin and at the base of hairs, where they produce pigment that colors the fur. But pigment cells and pigments aren't just found in the skin, they're also found in the brain, including brain regions related to mood and stress.

Anything that affects the distribution of pigment cells in the body affects not only the hair color, but mood and stress as well.

Cell migration isn't the only connection between depigmentation and the stress response. The pigment melanin also shares a metabolic pathway with stress hormones like adrenaline (called catecholamines): they from the same precursor, tyrosine (Nagatsu et al. 1964).

So it is no coincidence that many domestic animal species have depigmented patches of fur: think of border collies with their white ruff and white feet. Think of blazed horses with white socks, black and white holstein dairy cows, white-faced hereford cattle. Domestic animals with piebald coats are extremely common. This depigmentation may not be an accident, but may be a byproduct of selection for tameness."

http://www.ratbehavior.org/CoatColor.htm
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

my babies are my chows and they are all so different even though they are siblings, alothough Beatle is from an earlier litter.
Mufass, black ~ very silly, playful and loveable.
Bailey, cinnamon~ same litter as Mufassa,, more aloof and regal.
Beatle, cinnamon~ he's a combination of both. Not as lovey and playful as Mufassa but not as standoffish as Bailey.

I just look at them as I do my two legged babies ~ all different temperments and personalities.
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I think it's true just by my reading about the cream chows here. Willow is so serious. She'd never fetch a frisbee on a beach or like other dogs around.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

I resemble that remark Lori hehe Nanuk is a great mix or serious and silly. Silly most the time, and serious when he needs to protect his family.

We had two other chows a cinnamon and a red. Our cinnamon boy Mogwai was very serious and our red Bastion was a total air head.

Overall I think our family is very laid back and silly most of the time and I think our animals difinately fit in.
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Oh, I hope you didn't take that the wrong way!! I WISH she was more playful and less in protection mode all the time.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

No offence taken at all. I was just giving you a hard time is all. Big hugs and purple kisses!
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
chris

Post by chris »

I got that post from The Wisconsin Chow Chow Club site.

and to tell you the truth I have had 2 black chows and Steel is Blue (he looks black to me) anyway..

Grizz - VERY proud and protective. friendly but not so playfull. liked to cuddle. (female)
Thor - silly as ever, very obediant yet very protective as well. loved to play and love... and as you said Christine.. sometimes he was a complete air head. :roll: (male)
Steel - loves to play, very aloof, proud, protective. Not so cuddly though.. only when he wants to be. He is more independant than the other 2 were. As in additude. He likes to be around people like Grizz and Thor although sometimes it takes Steel a bit to warm up to you (I believe he has a good judge of character (sp/) but I'm also finding that Steel is a little more difficult to train. (Come, and Stay).Steel is the only one who ever fetched a ball or frizbee and BROUGHT IT BACK. The other 2 wouldn't bring it back. LOL (male)

Oh yeah, and they are all rough haird.
Last edited by chris on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

What? Someone want to play frisbee?
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Well... I have had 2 cinnamons (Sasha and now Koda) who were/are more serious and I had/have very little problems with. Then I also have Molly a cream... well she isn't silly, that's for sure. She is not real great with strangers and pretty untrusting of people. Color difference? I don't have a clue. Just putting my 2 cents in. :) I love them all. :)
Nancy and Tai

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "She is not real great with strangers and pretty untrusting of people. Color difference?"
---

You've also been working extra long hours, some extra days too, and your daughter is in her final weeks of pregnancy, so keeping up progress with a pup's daily human socialization with all that going on, is much harder too. A few weeks back, I'm pretty sure you did mention that Molly was becoming confident, and less fearful of strangers too.

Anyway, I still believe that the lightest cream Chows, line bred to other lightest creams create more of a Samoyed-temperament Chow. Nice to see you back posting, and looking forward to seeing new pics of how much lil' Molly has grown.