i need help, my 1st dog ever a chow chow

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bluerbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

i need help, my 1st dog ever a chow chow

Post by Bluerbear »

bluebear just turned a year old, she's girl. we got her when she was 7wks old from a very good breeder he'd been doing it for 14yrs and has no problem with any dog being mean. i did not want a dog!!i'm a cat person but my daughter got bluebear for her 3rd birthday. a lot of people told me chow's are bad with kids, not a good breed for 1st time dog owners. my 3yr whose always wanted a dog, how could i tell her she couldn't keep her sooo cute puppy. i have a big house, big yard, i have read everything i've been able to find. so i knew to make sure she got around a lot of people, it's only my now 4yr daughter laura blue and i. i don't work, so i brought blue everywhere we go. to the store, bank, where i go so do she, it's a very small town and everyone has met blue so don't mind. at 1st blue got pushed in lauura's doll stroller, blue would not move. not that she didn't want to go, she got spoiled fast! laura loved pushing her and so did blue. they became best friends still are. now blue is to big for a stroller took awhile to get her to walk on a leash now she loves when i grab the leash jumping on me wanting to go right now if not she will keep jumping on me grabs my shirt or pants pulling me to the door. i can't get her to stop. once i put the leash soon as the door opens i'm running she takes off pulling me. she pulls me every time no matter what i do. if laura has the leash blue walks next to her walks nice. laura wants to ride her bike so the whole time blue pulls me. blue loves going to grandma's a block away so thats are 1st stop cuz we don't get a choice. i need help getting her to walk nice for me. also i need help with her taking off out of the yard it's a battle to get out the house with out i stopped taking her as much it's to hard to help laura on her bike when blue is pulling me away. inside the house blue is a good dog. she listens every time she lets laura put her in princess outfits even. once outside she changes has even broken 3 collars and 2 chains. please if anyone has any idea how i can get her to stop please let me know
kingalls

Re: i need help, my 1st dog ever a chow chow

Post by kingalls »

Have you looked at the various halti collars or harness' that help with the pulling? Our Chows pull a lot. However, since it's just us adults - we tend to let them "have at it" on their evening walks. Nahkohe loves to run so I usually let him run at least half of the time. If it's too warm for that much activity, I hold back and tell him to walk. It was tough at first. When he kept pulling, I would pull back on the harness and stop the walk. I would tell him to walk and if he tried to go back into a run, I would stop and hold back on the leash and tell him to walk! So he has learned that when I say walk, he walks...sometimes his legs are quivering to go into a run but he will walk.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Katjusa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Katjusa »

School her. I really learned how to walk my dog at school. It's actually more for people than for dogs :wink:

but still, it's sad that people still haven't realized that dogs are not "gifts". You can't give someone a chow chow (or any other breed) for their birthday. I mean, it's a serious decision, buying a dog, and every member of the family must agree and must be prepared. And it's even more horrible, buying a chow for a 3yr-old. You never buy dogs for children ... I mean seriously?
I wanted to have a dog most of my childhood but I lived with my mother and she was against it. And I understand her. I am grateful to her now, because I wouldn't be able to take care of my dog as a child.
Now, I'm a student (because of some happy coincidence I live in my own little flat) and I work weekends - just enough to take care of my dog on my own.

I really think you should have given her back the moment you got it. I mean, your daughter was 3. You can't say "she's always wanted a dog" ... what, all long three years of her life?
Though I must say I admire you, putting up with a dog you never wanted just for her and even trying to make it work. =D=
Well, anyways ...
Oh, and before you take your chow out for a walk, do not put her leash/collar on until she's calm. Never take her out when she's all excited. Get her used to a routine. You walk out, she sits, you put the leash on and off you go. A thing like that has helped my friend with her dog.
Good luck!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I NEVER let my dogs out of the house excited.They all have to sit and wait and let ME out the door first. I use a prong collar on my GSD mix girl and when it goes on, she will NOT pull. My chow girl, Tippsy, use to pull like a sled dog, and I never corrected it until about 6 months ago(she's almost 11 now) when I bought her a Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness and the INSTANT I put the harness on her she walked easier! I also have one for my chow/lab mix boy, Jasper but a "choke chain"(slip chain) works best for him.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

School her. I really learned how to walk my dog at school. It's actually more for people than for dogs
Thank you! Just... thank you.
That's where people should go to get educated. There is no excuse and there is no suitable alternative.
:)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!