HELP PLS! A newly bought Chow Pup and A New Member Here!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

danegonzales15
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP PLS! A newly bought Chow Pup and A New Member Here!

Post by danegonzales15 »

Hi! I'm Dane from the Philippines.

I have 2 Princess type Shih tzus in our home.
1 is a Male about 2 yrs of age..
1 is a Female about 1 1/2 yrs of age.

We just bought a New Chow Chow who's 2 months of age, Male.

1st day:
When the 2 shihtzu first saw the new dog (chow)...they sniffed each other like seconds only then the female shihtzu got scared and like went away. The male dog does the same thing but in just a matter of seconds, he was aggressive to the new dog. (But my dad is holding the shihtzu in that moment so it won't hurt the new one).

So my dad was just on the side of the male shihtzu the whole time..and the new chow pup was discovering and sniffing everywhere on its new territory alone. The female shihtzu is also on loose and is alone cuz knew she wouldn't hurt the new dog, but the new dog suddenly comes running towards the female shihtzu in a playing manner trying to catch its tail. (sorry if that was our interpretation of that. Some Professionals here might have some idea why.) The Female shihtzu was trying to keep its composure but was about to burst also its aggresiveness.
So we decided to keep them seperate to the new chow as for this moment.

It's late night here and the chow was kept in one room. While the 2 shihtzus are in the living room sleeping.

2nd Day:

She was put in a cage well enough to walk like 8 steps from one end to another. We're in the process of letting the 2 shih tzus see the new chow pup regularly like he's no stranger anymore.
We tried to let him of the cage to let him roam around the living room when we feel that he needs to play around. My dad and my brothers always supervise on every movement. He still in the stage where he wants to bite and tear up some wood furnitures which we would immediately say "no"..carry him away if he does not listen.
We still have the problem about the new pup bonding with the old shihtzus we have....though we observed that the famale shihtzu of ours have that kind nature and does not go aggressive unlike the male shih tzu.
It's 1am here and all of the 3 dogs are in the living room visible to each other sleeping, but the new chow pup is still on the cage for protection.

Right now..we are trying our best to let the old dogs not to be jealous. We still treat and play with them the same way we did before the new pup came.

I would just like to know what's the step by step on making them more comfortable with each other. :cry:

( I'm sorry, but I feel so ignorant about dogs as of this moment. I'm feeling some of what we did as I have said above are already a mistake. Hope some of you guys know how to deal with this. I don't know if there's someone here who has already experienced this scenario, ESPECIALLY Introducing up a PUPPY CHOW CHOW to 2 Princess Type Shih Tzus.)