6-month Chow puppy forces herself to poop on walks!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

krisxing
Rank 0
Rank 0

6-month Chow puppy forces herself to poop on walks!

Post by krisxing »

I live in a 7th-floor apartment in Seoul, South Korea, and my husband and I have successfully trained her to use our bathroom as hers (Korean bathrooms have floor drains so we can just flush the chunks and use the shower head to clean the floor; think of it like letting her outside). The problem is that now when she goes on walks, she still has the urge to poop because she's outside. even though she doesn't actually have to poop. She ends up having runny diarrhea on the pavement where hundreds of people walk. It's unhealthy, so hard to clean up, and people get angry. How can we convince her that the only place she should ever poop is inside the bathroom?
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 6-month Chow puppy forces herself to poop on walks!

Post by Sarahloo »

krisxing wrote:I live in a 7th-floor apartment in Seoul, South Korea, and my husband and I have successfully trained her to use our bathroom as hers (Korean bathrooms have floor drains so we can just flush the chunks and use the shower head to clean the floor; think of it like letting her outside). The problem is that now when she goes on walks, she still has the urge to poop because she's outside. even though she doesn't actually have to poop. She ends up having runny diarrhea on the pavement where hundreds of people walk. It's unhealthy, so hard to clean up, and people get angry. How can we convince her that the only place she should ever poop is inside the bathroom?
There IS no urge to poop!!! Where did you get that idea? Dogs only poop when they actually have to poop. Your dog has the runs. She's sick and should probably see a vet. You can't expect her to hold it in when she's suffering from diarrhea. Talk to your vet, maybe she's sick, maybe she just needs a different brand of dogfood.
PLUS: it feels perfectly natural for a dog to do his business outside. Bring a bag on your walks and you should be fine after she's recovered from her illness.
Loo wouldn't go potty indoors even if I held a gun to his head. He would much, much rather burst than do that. I think Chows generally hate the idea of soiling their territory, so I guess that is why your girl saved the runny poop for outside!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Dogs only poop when they actually have to poop.
Sorry, but that's not true. Plenty of males will poop to mark. They don't limit themselves to urination. As a matter of fact some of them will go out of their way to defecate very high up on trees to emulate their size to their competition.

You can train her to poop in your bathroom the same way that someone would paper train a dog.
What you need to remember is that exercise stimulates the bowels so it's normal that once she starts moving she will have to go to the bathroom.

I don't know about life in Korea, but in our country when a dog poops you take a plastic bag and pick it up and dispose of it when you get home.
Maybe you could consider doing the same thing.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
krisxing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by krisxing »

Nala poops well in the bathroom, which is colder than the rest of the apartment, has a different floor texture and smell, and is usually closed unless she whines by the door. She thinks of it as outside her territory or ours. Her poop there is always healthy; she's a healthy little puppy.

We do, of course, pick up her poop with plastic baggies and throw it away in the nearest trash can. Before training her to poop inside the bathroom, it was not hard to pick up. The problem is that now she poops healthy poop two or three times a day in the bathroom, plus when she goes for walks she gets the runs. I don't think it has anything to do with her diet, because on days with terrible weather when we don't walk her, she doesn't have any problems with diarrhea.

If it is a health problem, is it possible that she only gets the runs when she exercises? If so, what are some possible reasons for that?

I'm pretty sure she's forcing herself to poop. I know it's strange, and I'd never seen it or heard of it before either, especially not in females.The question is, how do we stop it?
Raising little Nala to be healthy so she can meet her Simba someday <3
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Again, exercise is normal to move bowels. I don't know why you would want to interfere with Mother Nature. Also this is a little puppy, so when she feels to go... she goes.... I'm sure as she matures she will be able to hold herself more, but in the meatime, I think to take her out on walks and hope that she doesn't poop is being quite unrealistic. JMHO.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

My daughter had a shar pei mix and it was very hyper. When he was in his yard his poo was normal but when he went for a walk in the neighborhood he got all excited and would end up having a runny mess that could not be picked up .. She would end up apologizing and run home and get water and soap and try to clean up after him..and she got to the point she wouldn't walk him on the sidewalks but out in the street cause it always happened . The neighbors all got to know her and loved the dog so they would tell her just use our hose when you need to .. eventually he out grew it or got use to the different smells but it was a long time..
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

My chow Boogie has had this problem as well. He will only poop if no one is looking at him and he has complete privacy. We have actually only seen him go maybe a handful of times in his life and that is without him knowing we saw him. When he was younger he used to get so excited when out at the dog park or even at chowfest that he would occasionally get diarhea. But because he was embarrased and didn't want to do it it would happen while he was running around and get all over his fur. Talk about a mess. He hasn't had this since he has gotten older (knock on wood) so I am pretty sure it was just an over excitement issue.

As for cleaning it up, you are correct, it is hard to clean because it isn't solid. We used to have to carry baby wipes and a scissors to clean Boogie up. Hopefully your chow will outgrow this soon.
krisxing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by krisxing »

Boogie and Linda wrote:My chow Boogie has had this problem as well. He will only poop if no one is looking at him and he has complete privacy. We have actually only seen him go maybe a handful of times in his life and that is without him knowing we saw him. When he was younger he used to get so excited when out at the dog park or even at chowfest that he would occasionally get diarhea. But because he was embarrased and didn't want to do it it would happen while he was running around and get all over his fur. Talk about a mess. He hasn't had this since he has gotten older (knock on wood) so I am pretty sure it was just an over excitement issue.

As for cleaning it up, you are correct, it is hard to clean because it isn't solid. We used to have to carry baby wipes and a scissors to clean Boogie up. Hopefully your chow will outgrow this soon.
Thank you! This was the answer I was looking for. Nala also has the privacy issue, and won't pee or poop unless we close the bathroom door or leave it open a crack, with no light on, and we are in the other room.

And, while on walks, she shows other signs of being overexcited, like not listening to us well, sniffing every inch of the ground, and trying to run from side to side or follow passersby. She's very excitable and curious, so I'll bet she'll be like Boogie and grow out of that eventually.
Raising little Nala to be healthy so she can meet her Simba someday <3
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Yep, sounds the same as Brady ,, sniffing every inch.. he would sound like a little piglet snorting ..
Hopefully she out grows it too.. good luck with her. We learned to take a bottle of water with us for clean ups.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Sounds like it could be either her being nervous or excited when she's out walking...? Both along with exercise can irritate their bowls.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

Merlin wrote:
Dogs only poop when they actually have to poop.
Sorry, but that's not true. Plenty of males will poop to mark

I agree.. my Tyson will go on walks and poop a once or twice.. and once in a while he will continue to poop until he has the runs... and I am 100% certain he has no stomach issues.... Tyson also marks like no tomorrow.
Proud parents since 2010

Marlee Chow- DOB April 7, 2012
Tyson Chow - DOB Jan 15, 2003