Rescued Chow barks at night

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Idomin07
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rescued Chow barks at night

Post by Idomin07 »

Hello all!!

My name is isac, me and my wife Nhitzi just rescued a chow 3 weeks ago. Her name is Nhala.
I'll start an intro thread later on when I can post pics since I am on my phone at the moment.

Our issue is the barking at night, it's not BAD but we wish it would stop or atleast be extremely reduced.
We don't wanna try the shock collar or atleast not unless we have to. Were looking at the Premier SpraySense Anti-Bark Dog Collar and wanna try that. My question is have any of you tried it? What else would you all reccomend? any other suggestions? Thanks!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Rescued Chow barks at night

Post by Sarahloo »

Most likely she isn't barking barking but guarding barking. That's what Chows do! Keep her in a room away from the street where she can't hear (so much of) what's going on outside! Or better yet: keep her in your room at night. Then you can tell her to shut up when she gets too excited and she won't feel lonely and excluded (which might also be a reason for her barking). Make sure you give her plenty of exercise during the day so that she really is tired at night. She could also be scared of the dark (not unheard of in rescue animals), so leave a light on for her!
I'm glad that shock collars are illegal here! If you use them on your girl, you'll destroy all the trust that you've built. Chows are so sensitive & it's only been three weeks, your relationship is still fragile. Especially if she's been abused in the past (do you know something about her past?), you might damage your relationship with her irreparably.
Idomin07
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Idomin07 »

I understand that she's guarding us but alot of times it's unnecessary. There's alot of dogs in our apt building and once one goes off they all join in, she also barks whenever anything/anybody walks by.

We always leave a light on because we thought she might be afraid.
I'll try sticking her in the bathroom with a toy and a nightlight tonight since our room is basically off limits to her.
What were really trying to do is just cut down on the barking. I wont mind a "warning bark" but she goes off!

That is exactly why I really don't wanna try the shock collar, I want her to trust and love me without fear and I think the collar would ruin that. At the same time however I need something I can scold her with gently as to not lose trust.

Has anybody else used the premier bark stop spray collar?

We don't know alot about her past but we know she lived with a older couple and that she was fostered for a bit while she had puppies. I don't think she was ever abused.
lovechows55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lovechows55 »

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with Nhala's barking but I'm wondering if she's lonely, feeling separation anxiety, and just wants to be with you and your wife (who are "her pack")? Dogs as a general rule don't like to be separated from their owners; chows feel like they own us so they feel often feel even more of a need to check on us to make sure we aren't getting into trouble (lol).

When I first adopted my chow, I left her in another room at night and she barked most of the night. She was very young and eventually outgrew it but I didn't realize at the time that she really needed to be with me and that it was very hard on her to be kept in the kitchen. Especially since Nhala is a rescue, you might want to reconsider keeping her separated from you at night. Maybe you could crate train her so that she can still be with you but limit her access to your bedroom?

Years later, Chelsea developed separation anxiety after we moved to a new home and I tried using a citronella-based collar. She virtually laughed at it--after using up all of the spray in it. Chows' manes are so thick that most anti-bark collars don't work; if they do give much of a shock, I agree with others on this MB that you'll risk your relationship with her. It really sounds like it's more of a separation issue--and maybe a social thing with the other dogs barking (though that's rare for a chow; maybe she's a mix?).

If you don't want to have her sleep in the same room with you, you might be well advised to work with a good dog behaviorist.

I hope you're able to find a solution that works for all of you.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

We just came back from having our chow down at our daughters house. Nikki is use to being boarded at sittershouses never a problem. So she had some surgery recently and we didnt' want to board her so we drove 7 hrs with her to our daughters house for the holiday. Nikki use to be crate trained and also now we just put a baby gate across the kitchen at night and thats it she sleeps fine.. Well when we got to our daughters and time for bed we put her in the back laundry area and put a gateup. I no sooner got up the steps and she started wimpering. So down I went cause we didn't want her waking the baby.. So I ended up sleeping on the couch to keep her quiet .. the street light was so brite in the window and they dont have a shade to block it that it was like daylight and she thought it was still time to play.. Plus we live in the country and my daughter has road traffic so she was guarding with her little huffing all night.. Next night she came up stairs in our bedroom and was fine.. Scared that this would ruin her when we got home...NO she was fine in the kitchen not a peep. So maybe try to keep her in an area thats as far away from the door as possible if that seems to be where she hears the noises. And maybe the light is keeping her more alert?? Just a thought. Good luck with the bathroom I never had a dog that liked the bathroom unless its a huge walk around type..and maybe some soft music to muffle the other noises alittle until she gets a custom to the regular noises?? Its hard in an apt Iam sure.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

How old is she estimated to be? When mine were young they would bark more at night more frequently and when I got my senior foster chow he too started barking at night. If she is over a year old then she may just need to settle into her routine. My one chow, Boogie, who we have had since he was a puppy is our "protector". He does the "guarding duties" at night. If everyone is home then he is not on as high of an alert but he will still bark if there are noises or animals creeping outside. If not everyone is home then he is on heightened alert and barks at every single noise he hears including the wind blowing. I think it may just take her a little time to get into a routine so she knows when all is well and when to bark because something is reallly wrong.

She also may not like where you have her at night. We crated each of our chows when they were new here but when they started barking in the crate then we would let them out and see where they were most comfortable sleeping and let them sleep there. About once a year, the chows in my house change where they want to sleep. Chows really do know what they want. :wink:
Idomin07
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Idomin07 »

Thank yoU all for your suggestions.

The shelter and vet said that she's pretty full chow and most likely not mixed.
She picked her "spot" right next to the door which is the coldest spot.
The past 2-3 nights she's been ok with the exception of a few bursts.
If I put her in the bathroom she whimpers till I let her out. I don't have a baby gate to separate the kitchen from the living room where the front door is.
The main reason for why she couldn't sleep in our room is cus we had our hamster in there.
We rook him over to my 4 year old sisters house so she can care for him so now were leaving the door open so she can choose where to sleep.
This is actually the first night we do this and as I write this she is SOUND ASLEEP AT THE FOOT OF OUR BED!! let's see how it goes! Thanks again
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Sounds good! :D I thought that might work. If she seems comfortable where she is, you could shut the door to reduce the noise she hears.
I'm jealous of your sister who owns her own home at age four! :lol:
Idomin07
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Idomin07 »

LOl yeah her parents live with her not the other way around ;)
Well nhala slept great and didn't bark at all so looks like we found a winner!
lovechows55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lovechows55 »

So fun to read the post about chows knowing what they want---how true!!! They certainly own us, not the other way around, and train us pretty quickly as well. I am so happy to hear that your pup is sleeping at night--and in your room. That's where my Chelsea always slept, right next to me. When she was young, she would make the rounds and take turns sleeping in front of the front door (the coldest spot in the house), the hallway, and then spent most of the night by my side.

Sadly, hamsters and other small animals tend to be entertainment for chows. My friends that I bought Chelsea from had birds, iguanas, hamsters, and several other pets and the chows would just watch them---and drool in front of them. Pretty unnerving actually because you just know if they have the chance to get them, it's all over for the poor little ones (chows have very strong prey drive unless you luck out and have one that doesn't have it).

We rescued a rabbit in July 2009 and he is adorable but has now really complicated my plans to adopt another chow (Chelsea died in January 2008 and I'm finally feeling ready to bring another chowlet home). We live in a one bedroom apartment and I really don't know if I can keep him safe if I get a chow. (Do you think your sister would like a bunny? Just kidding).

Back to topic...again, so happy to hear that your problem with Nahla seems to have been resolved and I think having her sleep near you will increase the level of bonding you have with her, too. After a few nights, you'll probably wonder how you ever slept without her there.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Hamsters are noctournal so that may have been a big part of what was causing her to bark too.

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, now that you have her sleeping in your room (where she wants to :wink: ) don't be surprised if you get up in the middle of the night and she wants to "help" you get around. We call our chow, Boogie, "the seeing eye chow". When we are trying to manuever around in the dark he gets up and leans against my leg like he is trying to guide me. The only thing is it is way more of a hindrance than a help but I think it is sweet. :wink:
Idomin07
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Idomin07 »

Trust me she'll take any fuzzy furry n cute critter she can get her hands on lol

I can't wait till nhala opens up even more toward us, we love her already and want her to trust us
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

So glad to hear things are working out.. Nikki really loved sleeping in the room with us but my husband has very bad asthma and we can't keep her upstairs in the bedrooms. even just at my daughters temporarily he was starting to get congested. So Nikki has a wonderful bed in the kitchen that she curls up in every night here and sleeps.