Mien (black chow) growling at my brother

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kiirohana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mien (black chow) growling at my brother

Post by kiirohana »

I've already introduced her to my brother thrice but she still growls, barks and hides whenever she sees him. She doesn't do this to strangers anymore but only at my brother. I've tried asking my brother to give her treats which she ate after some time of cozying up but the next time she sees him, it's the same thing all over again. I'm thinking that it's because he's a real big man, both height and weight.

She's only 3 months old, (going 4 months in a few days) so I hope I could avoid as much behavioral problems as much possible so she can be a happy non-aggressive chow when she grows up. I only got her two days ago and she's my first pup.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Mien (black chow) growling at my brother

Post by Merlin »

so she can be a happy non-aggressive chow
Just because she growls at your brother, doesn't make her aggressive.
In fact, it makes her discerning. She's clearly expressing her feelings about someone who intimiates her.
There could be so many reasons for this, especially if she's willing to take treats from him, yet growls at him upon the next visit, and more especially if she only does it with him.

- Does he like the dog? Maybe he doesn't and she can smell his fermones
- Is he afraid of dogs? Maybe he is, and she can smell his fermones
- Does he have odd body language?
- Is your brother sick? on medication of some sort?
- Is he loud?

It seems that there is just more at play than just his height
Don't give up though. Keep doing the treat thing and hopefully as she matures she'll develop a comfort zone with him, but again, just because she doesn't like your brother, doesn't make her an aggressive chow.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I think we've all seen this: our darling dog ruthlessly pre-judging someone based on their height, build (sp.?), choice of (dark) clothing and barking and growling at a totally nice person. :D
So yes, it may be his impressive size.
Also everything Merlin said, esp. the fear thing! :D
Does your brother have experience with dogs? Does he know how to pet them properly?
And then there is instant, irrational dislike. Like Loo and my mom. They just don't click. Something like that is very hard to overcome.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki seems to get along with everyone (even the Vet) but we had a carpenter doing some work in the house he was very tall and had a different type of attire than us and Nikki would bark at him every day ..It was all black and we think it was the outfit more than anything because my son is 6'4" and hubby 6'2" so its not like we're small here.. If he ignored her she would stop barking but if he tried to pet her she would back away and bark.. very odd behavior for her too.