Leash Training Advice

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sesasharp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leash Training Advice

Post by sesasharp »

I got a new chow chow puppy last week. I have read that Chow's as well as many other dog breeds need to begin their training right away. I do not have many complaints with my new pup, in just a week he has learned to 'sit', does not go inside the areas that have been prohibited (well at least not much), and shows absolutely no sign of aggression torwards other people.
When speaking to my vet about my concern, he just told me to take it easy on the dog, since I still have a few months until his "rebell" period. What I am concerned about, is that no matter how hard I try, the puppy wont walk on a leash. I have tried treats, and praise. Sometimes he seems to walk but after a wonderful walk, full of praise he will eventually pull on the leash, and then there is no way to move him. If I pull he yells, if I wait or call he lays down and does nothing. I really would like recommendation from previous Chow owners about this issue, he wont budge. This is my first time owning a Chow, but not a dog. The puppy is escellent off-leash, he follows me everywhere and when I call him, nevertheless, I know it best for his own safety that he must learn to be leash trained.
)0( Blessings
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Leash Training Advice

Post by Loha'sDad »

Chows are smart and STUBBORN. They will lay down and pretend to be a rock if they don't like the way you are going ( like home for example ). I pretend to start the other way and my Loha will get up and start moving. I then double back. If he then lays down and rolls over onto his back, I will play with him for a moment and then sternly make him get up and go the way I want. When he knows I am really serious he will obey.

Loha's Dad
MinnieBunz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MinnieBunz »

I sympathize with you! I also have a new chow pup who just turned 4 months old. He is great like yours and very smart of course, learned to sit in 2 days and is doing well with potty training. I have leashed trained numerous other puppies before, but he just seems to really not like the leash...the other chow pup I had leash trained in the past was good but she would always bite at the leash and despite spraying bitters on it, the problem continued for some time until she finally grew out of it. Anyway I would love to hear other people's tips and tricks aswell on leash training. Thanks a bunch!
sesasharp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sesasharp »

I have tried distracting him, and everything else. He won't budge and I end up having to carry him. I took him to the park some days ago, and he walked wonderfully until he started stopping and laying down and yelping for the slightest tug, I do not know what to do. I can't help but feel helpless. Another thing, he wont walk with the leash within the house, but will outside, or somewhere he doesn't know until, it takes minute or less for him to sit down and everything ends.
)0( Blessings
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Make sure the collar and leash you use is comfortable. For a chowling, I found it is best to use a halter and then change over to a gentle leader collar once they are able to fit in one.

Trainng wise, take a cup of their daily kibble (from their daily allocated meal plan) in a container with you during your walk. While you walk, you reward your pup with A kibble, that is ONE (1) kibble at a time, when they are walking properly with you and also offer praise. If possible reward while you are both in motion. This allows your chow to view walking as rewarding and something to look forward to. They naturally should be excited about taking a walk, but chows can be stubborn and premadona like. Offer the kibble often during your walk, but never when they plop down. If they plop down, use a command word like "let's go", a little tug on the leash then show the kibble and the minute he stands up, give them the kibble and praise like crazy. This can also help them not be distracted with various critters to chase or growl at during future walks. Once you are home, wait at least a half hour to feed them the rest of their meal and don't let them gulp up bowls of water either. If they do drink too much water, discourage your pup from playing or running around doing zoomies for at least a half hour.

Also, you might want to consider, he is plopping down and yelling at you, because he is tired. They are babies with tiny hearts and muscles that are still growing afterall. Patience is a virtue and they grow up so fast!

Good luck.
sesasharp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sesasharp »

Thank you, I had already done exactly as you said, and that is why I am feeling hopeless. He wont walk for kibble, so I switched it to some treats, he's do it for a while, but not for too long. Yes, I will have to be more patient, maybe he'll smoothe down as he gets older :) Thank you all for the advice.
)0( Blessings
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

and I end up having to carry him.
Please never do that. All you are doing is teaching your chow that you will carry him if he/she squeaks.

until he started stopping and laying down and yelping for the slightest tug
Your chow is talking to you telling you that he doesn't want to move right now. and it seems... that you're listening and responding in his favour. :) he has you well trained! lol

You will need to pay closer attention to your puppy and anticipate when he's had enough. \if he's tired, he's going to want to stop. so you need to make the decision to stop before he does. \that way he'll be stopping because 'you' want to , not because 'he' wants to. \at some point maybe you are asking too much of this puppy, and you could try to limit your training to even shorter sessions. Chows mature very slowly, and are not always willing to work if they don't see the point of working.

Generally this all is a sign that you're moving too fast for the puppy'\s skill. Always go backwards towards the beginning. Take your time and maybe adjust your sessions to much shorter ones.

By the way, chows are very very poorly food motivated most of the time, and food while it is a motiviator to some dogs, it is essentially a very poor training tool. \the dog will learn to work for the food and not for the handler. Nothing beats praise. If puppy is good, praise, scritchies, and loads of love go many more miles than a cookie.
:)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!