chow don't want to be touched - help please

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow don't want to be touched - help please

Post by belle »

My 4 month old chow doesn't like strangers, like most chows. He doesn't have a problem with strangers coming to pet him on the head area with his leader on, but as soon as people try to handle him or carry him, he will bite as he did with the vet and tried to bite the groomer. My fear is that he is now around 25 lbs and I don't know how the groomer or vet is going to handle him in few more months when he gets to its full size. We've been bringing him to obedience classes, daycares and I've seen a behaviourist to see if that would help. I was told by the behaviourist that sometimes it's in the genes of the breed and there's nothing I can do about it and he suggested that I continue on my classes and perhaps after he gets neutered he might improve a little bit, but not to get my hopes up because there is no guarantee that he will get better after getting neutered. He mentioned that if it is a genetic issue then I might need to make a decision to have him euthanized down the road. I don't think I can ever make that decision, because deep down he is a sweetheart, so I need suggestions on what else I can do to help him. The vet is not too crazy about him and his groomers, he has been turned down by other groomers already. Any input or thoughts on this issue will be greatly appreciated. :cry:
kingalls

Re: chow don't want to be touched - help please

Post by kingalls »

I would like to reply in more detail but I'm suppose to be working & just hopped on to skim some of the new posts...My Nahkohe does not want to be touched by anyone except for myself and my husband. He was banned by one vet and the one groomer that would put up with him is no longer available. No other groomers want to accomodate him either because grooming him requires me to be there the entire time. My Chowboy is 6 going on 7 years. He has not bitten anyone but I attribute that to the fact that I make sure he is not in a situation where that might happen. At the vet's office, I handle him (not the vet tech) and he wears a muzzle. I groom him myself now.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Please read this:
http://www.merlinshope.com/2010/index.p ... icleid=125
and read it over and over and over until you understand the dynamics of your chow.

Ask yourself this question?
If people you didn't know came up to you and started touching you all over the face and head, would you like it???
I don't know why you think you chow should like it either.

Also, it sounds as though your chow needs socialization.
I see that you've taken him to puppy classes, and daycare ( which is absolutely wonderful), but it seems or sounds like he doesn't understand his role in your home place and takes over when you are there.
Where does he come from ? A breeder?

If so did you speak to the breeder about this?
A quality breeder would want to know about this.

And yes, he will improve after being neutered. There's no doubt about that.

I've often worked with people who have worked with trainers and the moment the trainer is out of the door, the family reverts back to the behaviour that promoted the aggression in the first place. Is it possible that this is what's happening in your house hold? Are you consistent with your training?
Do you cheat once in a while? Let the dog up on furniture?

I
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

Another thing to consider is seeing a different behaviorist and different obedience classes and play groups. If someone just suggests you give up then you need someone who is committed to helping even if it's a tough job.

I don't think you should just 'give in' and accept that you have a problem chow. Problems can be worked on, maybe not SOLVED 100% but improved on. It'll take a lot of work from you and the people around you. You should find a doggie support team (teachers, vets, and behaviorist) that are going to be equally committed and optimistic.

If someone suggests you need to just put your dog to sleep then you should find someone else. Euthanization, IMO, should be the very, very last choice. You still have a puppy and there's plenty of time to work with him.

And suggested before me, you also learn what to help your dog with. I know Penelope (my chow) doesn't like to be pet on the head. So I warn people before they try to pet her the best way to approach. I also know she doesn't like people entering out apartment. So I put her in the room when people come in and then let her out once they're already inside and settled. She reacts much better this way.

Practice lifting her and using positive reinforcement. gradually teach her to accept other people putting their arms around her. A lot of practice can go a long way. Socialize a LOT. If you know someone that you COMPLETELY trust and could take of your puppy for a couple of days, try leaving her with them. This will be a lesson in learning to accept and slightly trust strangers.

ALSO, when Penelope was a puppy I felt like I had a problem chow. I was SO worried about these problems she displayed that would grow exponentially worse as she got to be a BIGGER dog. And while I did work a lot on socialization, I think a lot of it helped itself through time and by age. She has calmed a little from her puppy days and it's made certain issues she had easier to work on. Don't give up on your dog yet.

Good luck! And let us know how it goes! Don't lose faith or give up that this problem can be improved on! Work hard and you'll see results!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Yogi was the same way untill we socialized him.
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

Another thing I thought about:

How much did you prepare him for his vet and groomer's appt?

If you can go to your vet and pick him up yourself. Go into an exam room for 5 minutes if you can. Go without an appt and just sit in the waiting room for 5 minutes. Gradually expose him to more and more at the vet. So when it's time for the appt he isn't scared or in an unfamiliar place.

And for the groomer. Did you introduce your chow to the groomer before you left him there? Take a trip to the groomer with him and just let him relax there (without a groom) for 5 or 10 minutes. Leave and another day come back and put him on the table. Another day come and meet the groomer outside and let him pet and meet your chow.

Maybe if you work on slowly acclimating your pup to new situations rather than just going they'll have a better reaction? A new situation is always scary to a dog especially a puppy that isn't as big or as sure of himself. Don't PUSH him but slowly allow him to be more comfortable in places where he'll be more often such as the vets office, the groomers, the parks you frequent, places you often go.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

He has not bitten anyone but I attribute that to the fact that I make sure he is not in a situation where that might happen.
I have the very same problem with one of my chows here, and like you , I make sure he's never in a situation where he can bite someone.
Sometimes chows just won't accept being handled by strangers and owners need to be aware of that and adjust accordingly. There's nothing wrong with that, and in the long run protects the interests of the chow and of the owner too.

Muzzle training is a wonderful thing , and it's a wonderful tool to work with at the vet or at a groomer.

Personally I've seen two instances where the groomer was told one thing and the moment the owner was out of eye-shot, the groomer chose her own method of dealing with the chow, which was to try to flip it over, and in fact , t he groomer ended up in the hospital and the chow was accidentally hung and died. For me, unless a chow is a proven "good customer" at the vet, or at a groomer I would insist on staying there with him and handling him or like you, doing the groooming myself.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belle »

I had a chow back home in the Philippines 20 years ago, he did not have any training whatsoever, he showed no aggression, he was just a sweetheart. I have a heart for chows because of him, I have done my research on chows before I made the decision to get one from a reputable Breeder of 30 years in Quebec Canada. Her advise even from the very beginning is to "socialize, socialize, socialize" and that's what I've been trying to do since I got him. Like I said, he has no problem being touched, but handling him is totally different issue. I guess what I am getting at is Socialization is one thing and being handled by Vet and Groomers is another. We can go to the park and I can have strangers pet him, but he has limits as to where and when you can touch him.

adonis24, you sound like you have some pointers than can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Tsunami22, I hope it will be the same for my Yogi when he is older, I really hope this is just a "stage" that he is going through, he has calmed down a bit over the 2 months that he's been with us. I will keep practicing holding him as you have suggested, We can touch him everywhere but he just refuse to be carried.

Merlin, I am not sure what to make out of your comment, because your question about how I would like to be touched by a stranger is really irrelevant here, the reason I am on this blog is to find out how I can change the fact that chows don't want to be touched, I understand that chows are unlike any other dogs that craves human touch, they are not lap dogs I know that much.

I will bring him to another obedience class next week called "Hello Fido"(description below:

Hello Fido
This highly specialized program is designed for those dogs who have extreme issues like fear issues, personal space issues, and explosive behavior. Does your dog show aggression toward people or other dogs? Does he lose control when he sees another dog? Does he show intense fear in new situations? These and many other problems will be addessed in this popular program. Your dog will learn what is appropriate behavior and will be rewarded for those responses.

A maximum of 4 dogs per class will maintain a comfort level and give you and your dog the skills required to achieve success. These are each 1 1/2 hour sessions

I have high hopes that this class will make a difference.

Thanks all.
belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belle »

Hi tsunami22, I have been bringing him to his vets clinic for socialization visits as per the vets advise. How is Penelope with vet and groomer visits ?
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Merlin, I am not sure what to make out of your comment, because your question about how I would like to be touched by a stranger is really irrelevant here, the reason I am on this blog is to find out how I can change the fact that chows don't want to be touched, I understand that chows are unlike any other dogs that craves human touch, they are not lap dogs I know that much.
HI Belle
Please don't take it offensively. I was just trying to put a human perspective on the subject, because great many of us who have owned other breeds become very accustomed to our dogs tolerating just about anything and everything from family or from strangers, but in fact, we as humans forget that not all dogs have been overly domesticated, certainly not chows, and sometimes we forget to use common sense. For sure a human would not like to be touched in the face, or on other parts of ourselves, by people we don't know, yet we assume that our dogs should tolerate it. That was really the point I was trying to make. :)

I'm inside truly hoping you mean Marthe Legare, because there aren't too many reputable breeders in Quebec, and she sure would be one of them if not the only one left. and I'm sure she would more than happily mentor you on this too.
but he has limits as to where and when you can touch him.
At some point you might have to learn to respect that of him, and find a workaround.
Personally I think it's wrong to believe that you can condition a dog to accept everything. It just doesn't happen in all cases.

There is nothing written anywhere that you have to pick your chow up and carry it around, and I know you'll agree that there is a difference between picking a dog up and putting it on a table, versus, picking a dog up and carrying it around.

Most of us in rescue, dog catchers and vets use the simple technique of grasping the back of the collar with one hand ( this very adequately controls the head/teeth) while holding the "tuck" with the other hand, or with a sling. This allows someone, or two people in tandem to safely pick a dog up to either place it in a car, or on a table, etc., etc. You might want to try this technique instead, and certainly do this yourself and don't allow a stranger to do this. I can try to look up a diagram.

Let us know how it goes!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belle »

Hi Merlin, no offence taken, in regards to the breeder's info, it's Michel and Francine St-Jacques of LabandeKiwi, I found them thru this site and I phoned the referrences that she gave me. She guarantees the health and temperament of her chows. The thing is, we've invested so much already, emotionally and financially with Yogi and giving up on him is not an option. I am not an expert when it comes to the dog world or Chow's world in this case, but it would be a great start if I know if this is a behaviour issue with chows that can be worked on or Genetic issue that no amount of training or classes can resolve? I just want him to be happy and not live in fear if that's what it is.

No, I don't mean picking him up and walk around with a 25 lb Chow in my arms, I mean to pick him up from the floor and on to the vet's table or groomers table, and then of course the vet would need to go further than stroking his gorgeous red hair and grab a bit of his back skin and inject the vaccine, that is when things get a bit unpleasant.
Last edited by belle on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Well I'm going to have to tell you the same thing I told Valerie who got her chow from the very same place and who is ALSO writing in here with chow problems.

Try the technique I described. It should help you. If you ever want to attend on of aggressive dog clinics please let me know.

We are having one a chow meetup ( a local club of chow chow enthusiasts) Montreal this weekend. It's just a friendly gathering of chowists. I don't know if you are from that area, but if you want information please let me know.
Contact me privately
Last edited by Merlin on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belle »

Merlin, can you give me the names and contact numbers or email add. of these people you mentioned that bought their chows from the same breeder? perhaps I can find out more from them. Francine offered me my money back in the event that I decide to put him to sleep. but really, she can give me my money back but no amount of money can change the feelings that are now attached to the dog. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am from Calgary, Alberta by the way and not many Chow fans in this neck of the woods....sadly.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I will contact you privately about the references.

The fact that they don't even give you a spay/neuter contract tells you who and what they are as sellers.

Don't give up on the dog yet. All you need to know is that the next time you want to get in touch with a breeder of merit, simply contact the Chow Club of Canada or the Chow Club of the USA. At least the breeders who are part of those clubs have signed a code of ethics, and, "if", t hings go bad and they don't uphold their contract, you can report them to the club executive and seek a resolution. - or adopt a chow- PLENTY of chows from breeders just like theirs are in shelters. Mills and back yard breeders contribute to 90 % of all dogs in shelters.

Don't give up working with your dog.
You may have to make some concessions with him but it doesn't mean you both can't enjoy a great quality of life.
You shouldn't have to put your dog down to get your money back, but I clearly understand that you're emotionally attached to this dog.

Try out this new trainer you're going to and see if you get better results. I'm wishing you the best!!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Merlin wrote: You may have to make some concessions with him but it doesn't mean you both can't enjoy a great quality of life.
Absolutely! Forget about the groomer! Do the basic grooming yourself and if he doesn't look 100% perfect all the time, he won't care one bit, and neither should you! Muzzle him at the vet's, and if he has to be sedated for certain procedures, then so be it. Maybe he'll understand that no real harm comes to him there after a while (he's still just a baby) and he'll get more relaxed. Also do not hesitate to shop around for the right vet for Yogi! Look for one who doesn't make a fuss with the dog but who knows exactly where and how to touch the dog and can get the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible. There are vets who need to try all four legs before they have found a suitable vein (artery? sorry, non-native speaker!) to take blood, and then there's the veterinary veteran who finds the right spot immediately and gets it over with before the dog knows what hit him!
No dog is perfect, each and every one has something the owner needs to work around. You say your dog is basically a sweetheart, so that's great. You say he lets strangers touch him: that is something to be proud of! There's no need to worry about him and the horrors the future might bring all the time! He's had his shots, and (hopefully) he won't have to be back at the vet's for quite a while. Shower him with kindness, and force everyone else in your life to do the same thing. It's great that you're investing so much in his education, and at the same time don't expect too much from your baby (!!!) boy!
If your everyday life is mostly trouble-free and, as you said, he's mostly a darling, be grateful! Please do not despair! Almost everyone faces challenges with their dogs, it's not just you!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

belle wrote: My fear is that he is now around 25 lbs and I don't know how the groomer or vet is going to handle him in few more months when he gets to its full size. We've been bringing him to obedience classes, daycares and I've seen a behaviourist to see if that would help. ......The vet is not too crazy about him and his groomers, he has been turned down by other groomers already. Any input or thoughts on this issue will be greatly appreciated. :cry:
Belle,
You are doing all the right things to help socialize your Chow. Merlin and others have given you really good information & support. As for the vet, you might want to find a vet that has more Chow savy if that is an option. As I had mentioned before, Nahkohe was banned from a vet - or at least he had to be sedated before the vet would see him. There were several contributing factors to the situation. The new vet is very familar with Chows. His mother use to show Chow Chows. We have worked together during the vet visits and it does include a muzzle. With the groomer, I waited too long before his first grooming session. Yep, it was a nightmare but again, I worked it out with the groomer. It was funny because he was always so excited to go there but couldn't wait to get out of there either :lol: When the groomer was no longer available, I tried many other groomers but between hearing that he was a Chow and that I needed to be there during the session - I never found a groomer. I do it myself.
I don't know if your Chow could overcome the issue of being touched but I don't see that as a big problem if you are willing to work with the vet and groomer. Continue to do what you have been doing with classes and trainers. You're on the right track.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
shewantslight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shewantslight »

Like someone has already suggested, grooming the dog on your own would be a good choice to make.
I know what it's like to have an aggressive Chow Chow. Mine already has a big red 'Grrr!' written out on his vet record. What happened with that situation was that the vet who saw him tried to reach down and pet him and he lunged for her. Luckily my dad was there and he acted quickly and my Chow never touched her but I digress. He now requires a muzzle during every visit.

My Chow's a sweetheart deep down. He's loving, loyal, follows me around all the time. He loves having his belly rubbed, gives kisses and plays slapping and barking games (I can't explain it here. I'd have to tape it sometime...lol)

He doesn't do well with strangers at all. But I really don't mind it. If anyone is going to approach my dog, it would have to take a lot of time, patience and forewarning that if he doesn't want to be touched or approached in the end, then it cannot be arranged.

While he's sweet, he's got a temper.
When he was barely a month old, he would growl if you tried getting into his face. I thought it was the cutest thing on the planet! But now I realize it was cute only because he was so little. :lol:

He's great with everyone in my family including my sisters. But I always stress not to get into his face. Only I can do that and even then, on rare occasion he might snap at me.

I'm thinking it might have stemmed from him being sick early on in life. He caught a cold a few weeks after he was born and it weakened him. Luckily, he recovered after a vet visit and antibiotics. He also had entropian. He did superbly with that incidence. He didn't give the vets any trouble when he went in for the operation and when I came to pick him up that day, he was so happy to see me. =)
So, I'm thinking his going through so much has toughened him up to the point that he's too paranoid. He's very protective of himself and his surroundings.
There was a time a few months ago that someone would try to enter the house via the patio door. Luckily it was locked but the slight rattle of the door set him off and his growl is positively vicious and I pray no one ever succeeds in breaking into our house. :shock:

Now, I too hope him getting neutered in the future will take the edge off. :wink:
And even if it doesn't, I'll still love him. If he never does good with anyone outside of our family, I won't care. He's worth so much more to me than he can imagine.
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

Hi Belle,

Just saw your posting about your baby chow that you got from la Bande a Kiwi.
I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your puppy....but just want to ask you not to give up on him, ever. I saw Merlin's ad about some other chow owners who got their puppies at the same place....
Just so you know, I also got my baby Pong (who just turned one year old on Sept 21 this year \:D/ ) from Francine also.
When I was searching for a breeder, I appreciated that she asked us a lot of questions and got to visit the puppies before actually bringing him back home with us. Did you have a chance to visit the puppy? I think I read that you're not from Quebec....
The only thing that bothered me a bit is that she had 2 sets of puppies that was born pretty close, and she seemed a bit confused as to which puppy was born at what date. But anyways.....just wanted to share my story with you.
We never had any issues with Pong.......from day 2 that we got him, we brought him everywhere....to visit both my family and my bf's. We made sure that he plays with kids all age.....from my lil nephew to kids living in our neighbourhood. I made sure that every once in a while, we had friends over....so hes ok with that. Hes always curious about ppl, always wanting to get close to ppl....even strangers on the street. But once they wanna touch him, he's a bit on his guard....but he's ok afterwards. I've always encouraged ppl to touch him ....and still do. I'm always so proud of Pong when ppl are happy that he's such a good dog....so many ppl have this negative thought of a chow.
As for vet visits, of course he's scared.....but he's ok.....he always behaved well. We always try to be there, no matter where we go....I'm very protective of him....he's too much of a sweetie that he often gets attacked by other dogs when we go to the park. He loves to play with other dogs, never attacked...not even once. Doesn't even really defend himself when other attacks/bites him.....which I hate. It breaks my heart....
Anyways, sorry for all this blah blah.....I just wanted you to know that there are good dogs also from that breeder. We can't really blame the breeder fully I think.....we get the puppies when they're babies still....we have plenty of time to teach him how to behave well. I hate when ppl say all chows are bad....its not true.....same thing applies to pitbulls. It really depends of who their owners are.....provide him a secure / loving home and I'm sure everything will be ok. Btw, when Pong was neuteured, he did get calmer and softer.......
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

We can't really blame the breeder fully I think.
Excuse me?

oh yes you can. When you churn out puppies like cookies, and your sole endeavour for breeding is financial, sorry! you're from the same school as Valerie.
People who breed dogs like this are often considered glorified puppy mills, ( Back Yard Breeders). Nothing more. It's people's sad that lack of understanding keeps people like this in business =; - worse, people gravitate towards these types of breeders because their puppies look cute but are "cheaper" in cost.

A quality breeder gives a WRITTEN contract, not just a verbal one. Chows are either registered with the CKC or AKC, and they can PROVE a solid history of good character and temperament, CERF, hips OFA , and their chows DON't come to you laden with entropian/ These types of breeders work on exchange programs with other breeders of QUALITY chows so that they don't pollute their own gene pool. That's why it's important to purchase puppies from BREEDERS OF MERIT.

Most importantly, breeders of merit insist on a WRITTEN spay/neuter contract.

Did you get a written health/temperament guarantee from these people?
Were you mandated to adhere to a spay/neuter program?
Did they give you a written lifetime return guarantee policy?

I seriously doubt that there is not one chow breeder of merit, on either side of the border in North America who would work on a breeding program with or support these kinds of people. A quality breeder who would be advised of aggression issues would take a dog like that OUT of their breeding program. They certainly wouldn't continue breeding it.

People get real!!!
Please read
http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/byb.htm
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

Merlin,
Im from the same school as valerie? I dont even know who valerie is.
Just so you know, i am very opposed to puppy mills. It took us a while before getting pong coz i wanted to make sure my lil baby will come from a safe and loving place. I did do a lot of reading and searching before deciding to go ahead with la bande a kiwi. I checked reviews online, we spoke over the phone and via email many times and we went to visit her place 3 times. She showed me pics of all her other chows with their new family and some thanking letters. I did verify about her breeding frequency, and she told me 2 a yr with 2 different sets of chow. I saw where the baby lives and i played with both parents to make sure they had nice and not aggressive.
She did ask me why i wanted a chow and for what reasons such as breeding...and took her own memos.
I am totally against breeding dogs for financial reasons. Ppl who knows me would never ever even accuse me of that....so you saying that is really hurtful especially that you dont even know me.
I love all animals, i treat pong like my lil baby....even my bf says that pong comes first in everything.
I did specify in my previous posting that i THINK you cannot blame it all on the breeder. I nevet said dont ever blame them. I just think that there are bad owners out there.
Also about la bande a kiwi, the lady takes care of the puppies in their homes. They have this lil thing for babies where she puts them for safety reasons. And once theyre a lil bigger, they get upgraded to this cabin in their backyard with heating, beds and blankets all over and classical music. Pong never had any trust issues with humans whatsoever and has always been a brave lil one...not even scared of thunderstorms.
So yeah, all this just to say that it is unfortunate that some puppies from there are not as perfect. But the breeders do provide a good livin environment. Oh! And we waited 3 months for pong's arrival....theres a lot of ppl callin her for puppies, but she only breeds 2x/yr or so she claims.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Like I SAID:
A quality breeder gives a WRITTEN contract, not just a verbal one. Chows are either registered with the CKC or AKC, and they can PROVE a solid history of good character and temperament, CERF, hips OFA , and their chows DON't come to you laden with entropian/ These types of breeders work on exchange programs with other breeders of QUALITY chows so that they don't pollute their own gene pool. That's why it's important to purchase puppies from BREEDERS OF MERIT.

Most importantly, breeders of merit insist on a WRITTEN spay/neuter contract.

Did you get a written health/temperament guarantee from these people?
Were you mandated in writing to adhere to a spay/neuter program?
Did they give you a written lifetime return guarantee policy?

You're missing the point entirely.

Plenty of quality breeders have dogs that' aren't "perfect". It's not about "perfect".
It's about the reasoning behind the breeding and the type of dog they put onto the marketplace and the impact they have on society.

Breeders of merit do not end up burdening the shelter or rescue system with their dogs.
They take their dogs back, re-home or keep them. The don't continue to breed dogs that prove poorly genetically, and they don't instruct owners to destroy them on their behalf, or they don't tell you that it's "your" problem.
but she only breeds 2x/yr or so she claims
ohhhhhhh I think you'll have a lot of trouble convincing people of that one!
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

Hey Merlin,
Don't you EVER EVER and i mean EVER write my name on a post again. All you are is a Lobbies. Stop saying mean things about LA BANDE A KIWI. Im not gonna sit here and what you bad mouth others like this. If i see you write my name or say anthing mean again about them i will get a court order saying that you cannot mention my name or la bande a kiwi in any public place, or talk about us. Thats enough, Ive had it with you.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Sorry. My mistake. Romeo just won't listen.
You are indeed correct. You never did mention anything about aggression, and for that I do apologize.

I didn't say anything mean about them, nor am I bad mouthing them.
The fact that you don't or can't appreciate it, is not my fault.

I'm trying to point out the different between breeders of merit, and there IS a difference, and the information I put here is no different than any credible dog club would cite and so would the kennel club by the way.
Last edited by Merlin on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

[quote="Merlin"]Well I'm going to have to tell you the same thing I told Valerie who got her chow from the very same place and who is ALSO writing in here with chow aggression problems.

Hey Dumb *Censored Word*..the dog i got from them is not the one thats agressive, so before you talk make sure you know what your talking about *Censored Word*....
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

And if you'll read , I did apologize for that.
Too bad you can't articulate your feelings without using swear words.

it doesn't change anything though.
Consider taking your dog to school.
You'll be a better pet owner because of it and your chow will most likely be better at "listening" to you.

And here, this is from the Canadian Kennel Club and these are the minimum rules.
http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=113
The Golden Rules: Finding a Reputable Breeder

1. Always visit the kennel.
2. Make certain the dam (mother) is on the premises and available for you to see.
3. Ask to see health certificates and records of visits to the veterinarian.
4. Insist upon being provided with a signed bill of sale stating the puppy is being sold as a purebred.
5. Insist upon being provided with a written guarantee.
6. Confirm that the dog has been permanently and uniquely identified.
7. Confirm CKC registration of the parents, the litter and the puppy you are about to purchase.
8. Ask if the breeder is a member of the CKC.

Do I lobby against puppy mills? Sure I do. Everyone should!

In fact, ( and you are going to love this one), legally in Canada, unless your chow is registered with the CKC, it is NOT a purebred chow and cannot be called one. and that's a law!