need some tips for my puppy

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rhonskie
Rank 0
Rank 0

need some tips for my puppy

Post by rhonskie »

hi. can somebody please help me how to teach my puppy not to go inside certain rooms in the house. he keeps going inside my mom's room and he ignores me when i try to call him out. i think i might also need help regarding my puppy ignoring my call. he's 11 weeks old, and i just got him last sunday.
Dobby
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: need some tips for my puppy

Post by Dobby »

You must always keep your eyes when your puppy around, and if he does something bad, always say NO, repeat it all the time an he will understand. my Dobby always obey if i said NO whenever he steps out of the bounds. hope it helps :wink:
jounderw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jounderw »

Yea I would agree, just like a baby that has just learned to walk, you have to constantly keep an eye on your pup to make sure they aren't going places or doing things that you don't want them to. Also, be firm, repeat NO over and over. Dogs are animals of habit and as a puppy they need that constant reminder of when they are being bad.
tailwaggersworld
Last edited by jounderw on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

puppy ignoring my call.
Rule #1, never, ever give your puppy or dog or a command unless you are in a position to reinforce it.
It's probably the largest , single error that dog owners make when trying to train their dogs.

Does your puppy truly know and respond to a recall?
If not, you need to start there.

If your puppy is simply blowing you off ( and many do), put a light lead on your puppy, allow the puppy to go into the unwanted area, call the puppy, and when the puppy does not listen, you now have a tool available to reinforce the command and can walk the puppy out of the room, then make the puppy sit/stay outside the room.

Needless to say, your puppy needs to understand both those commands clearly.
That's your starting point.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
MinnieBunz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MinnieBunz »

I have to disagree with adonis24. You should not use the crate as a punishment, it underminds everything cratetraining is supposed to be. A safe place (a den) for your dog to be in of their very own, this is why is reinforces potty training. If you punish the puppy by locking them in the crate it will assoiciate the crate with something bad.