New Chow Chow Owner - Need Advice!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowMama21
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow Chow Owner - Need Advice!

Post by ChowMama21 »

Hi everyone!
My boyfriend and I just got our 10 1/2 week old female Chow puppy over a week ago. She is super sweet and constantly wants kisses. Her and my Malshi play well together, but she is very different than he was as a pup. She likes to get her way (as I've heard all Chows do) and I just want to make sure I keep her a sweet happy puppy. I work at a vet clinic and my boss told me to put her on her back when she's naughty, but now I've only read that that is a TERRIBLE idea and I don't want to make my baby aggressive and she REALLY hates it! She knows that outside is potty place, but she has peed in the house a few times and I just say NO firmly and pick her up and put her outside and tell her to go potty, I then give her a treat when she comes inside after potty time. She loves water and wants it constantly, so she has to go potty quite often. Does she need all that water or is she just excited about it? I also want to start walking her and she absolutely hates when I pull her on the leash, if she does it on her own terms, she is fine...I got her a gentle leader, are they effective for Chows? So basically I just want to know how I need to discipline her if she is bad, she is such a sweet pup and like I said, I don't want to change her to a cranky dog. Thanks!

Miranda
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New Chow Chow Owner - Need Advice!

Post by Sarahloo »

Hi!
You've already discovered the only way to make your chow obey and respect you. With a little firmness and lots of kindness! =D=
Don't throw her on her back. She won't understand what you want to tell her. It's just brutality masked as an education tool. What is appropriate in a pack of wolves where there are violent fights for survival has nothing to do with the sweet gentle chow who'll just think you're mean and stupid and can't think of anything intelligent to do to make him learn. A firm "No!!!" is all you need: it will let her know she did something wrong.
Don't let her get away with everything just because of her cute little baby face which is nature's way of manipulating us into doing the puppy's bidding. :D If you spoil her too much, she'll make you pay for it when she's an unruly teenager! Make sure she learns the rules (like no peeing in the house), but also take her outside often enough so that she can actually follow those rules.
If she's very active, she'll drink a lot, that's only to be expected. If it's hot where you are, she'll drink even more. If she drinks all the time, take her to the vet.
ChowMama21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowMama21 »

Thanks for the feedback!
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

My Nukka (4.5 mths) is pro with potty. We learned the hardway with Maddoxx.

During those first weeks ( until she learnt where to go ) we took her out every hour, whether she wanted to or not, more often than not she just wanted to be with us.
Lots of happy voice " Good girl " when she peed outside.

The only accidents we had is when we forgot to watch for signs and waited to long.

Now she sits at the door, tail wagging and if we aren't paying attention we get a little yelp.