Won't urinate

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rachel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Won't urinate

Post by Rachel »

I adopted a 4 yr old female chow 4 days ago and she has only urinated 2x basically about every 48hrs. She is very shy and scared. Has not eaten as well and does not like any treats(except for peanut butter) but she drinks a lot of water..I am worried her bladder will explode!! Please help!
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Won't urinate

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

The first things that you want to look at is,
What was her routine in her old home?
Did she have a fenced yard or did they walk her?
Do you have a fenced yard or do you have to walk her?

Another question,
Is this your first Chow?
Do you have other pets?
Did you get the Vet records from the previous owner?
You will want to get her to your Vet as soon as possible to have all the normal tests run and routine shots, especially if you don't know when her last Vet visit was. She can pick up parasites and diseases from just walking in an area that wild animals and unvaccinated pets have been in if she has not been vaccinated.

You can try walking her in an area that you know other dogs have gone in, give her plenty of time to explore the area, don't rush her. Try to find an area that is quiet without cars or people to scare her while she is trying to go. You will need to build her trust and ease her fear, in her mind she is vulnerable when she squatting to go.

As far as not eating, she will not starve herself to death. When we took ours on vacation, they would not eat or have a BM for the 7 days that we were away from home. As soon as we got home they would run to the back yard and go. Some Chows will go in a strange area, others will only go in one spot. When we moved back to our hometown, I had to drive our Chow to my parents house for 3 weeks to have a BM. It took that long for her to get used to her new yard and start using it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers