Gracies Scared...

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RebeccaMarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Gracies Scared...

Post by RebeccaMarie »

Hello everyone,
My Chow Chow Gracie is 1 years old we bought her from a breeder who lived in a secluded area of the U.P. in Michigan at the age of 7 weeks as soon as we got her home she found out that she could hide under the bed and wouldn't come out even to greet people. :cry: Gracie now obviously cannot fit under are beds to hide, She is frightened by anyone coming into the house even people who have been here before many times.. She will run and hide in her crate and not come out until they leave the house if somebody approaches her at her home she will bark loudly and growl then run away scared she hasn't acted aggressive or as if she would bite anyone shes just scared.

After the 4th of July shes been terrified of thunderstorms, Loud Noises of any kind.. My step dad even ran the weed whacker and she climbed under the table against the wall.. I feel so bad for her and I don't think any of this is normal, I've already raised one Chow Chow who was nothing like this.. Is there anything that I can do?? Does anyone else have these problems with there Chow?? Any information would be greatly appreciated. :( I just want her to be Happy!
Attachments
38016_1432361127436_1185139232_31116346_7291219_n.jpg
38016_1432361127436_1185139232_31116346_7291219_n.jpg (97.58 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Gracies Scared...

Post by Sarahloo »

Please tell us more about that breeder and the puppies' living conditions! Most likely your puppy's problems stem from her early childhood at that breeder's. 7 weeks is very young for a puppy to be taken away from her mother, but I doubt that that's all that went wrong during her first weeks on earth.
RebeccaMarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RebeccaMarie »

The puppy's lived out in a deserted woods the lady who sold them had at least 20 chows if not more.. She breads them many times in a year.. She kept them in a in closed porch with papers on the floor and food and water.. She told us the puppy's where socialized and had been around her grand children a lot when we got out of the car all the adult chows came up to us and where very welcoming and friendly but when we walked into the house the puppy's didn't great us and just plain ignored everything. I really would like to get to the root of the problem with her.. I know she doesn't get enough socialization with other people.. I recently read on the dog whisperer website about many dogs having fears of things and im getting in more walks and socialization hoping to build some confidence in her. If you have any ideas on how to help her become more confident and less fearful let me know :) Where getting ready for a bath :lol:
Thanks,
Rebecca
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Thanks for the info!!!
I think you already guessed that that woman was probably lying to you and your puppy wasn't socialized at all. One of the first rules when buying a puppy is that happy & healthy puppies should be lively, nosy & curious. Your puppies weren't, which was a huge warning sign.
You are right to think that exposure to the things that she is afraid of is the only way to make her less afraid. Let me tell you: it can be done, she can definitely get better. You already know what you have to do: make time so you two can work on her issues together. For my dog Loo (who I got from a shelter and who was so scared he could only run in circles), just our regular long walks alone were incredibly therapeutic. Walking releases all the tension that comes from being a scared little doggy all day. :D Always take baby steps: take her where you're not likely to encounter many people and dogs, and just let her sniff and run and be happy. When they're exercising (and later, when they're all tired out) they're so much more relaxed and it's easier for them to encounter the one or two people you're likely to encounter. Take her on a long leash and let her pass people at whatever distance she is comfortable is. Don't leave the path (or else she's going to think there's a reason to be afraid), but give her room to keep some space between her and the scary strangers. If she hesitates, then you can lead the way. You always need to exude confidence, and never show any fear in these situations. Talk to her the entire time and tell her what a great doggy she is and what a great job she's doing. That way her confidence will grow with every encounter that she has "survived". Make sure you really praise her to the moon, even if she didn't do all that well! If she's anything like Loo, she won't accept treats in stressful situations, but if she does, give her plenty on top of the undeserved praise! :D If you can, introduce a second person and dog to your walkies after a while. Her getting used to that other person is going to be another major step forward.
Have people over in the house and don't let her leave the room you're going to be in. Don't corner her, but also don't let her hide somewhere till it's all over. Avoidance can just no longer be on the menu! Poor Gracie! :D Don't let your guest bother her or touch her: she has to come to them to not perceive them as a threat! Ask them to speak to her from their chairs in that same happy sing-song voice that you employ on your walkies!
Put Bach flowers in her drinking water! Read up on which ones are right for her, or ask a professional. They don't hurt and I think they're having a positive effect on Loo (of course it could be all in my head :D but I don't think so!).
It's hard work, but it's rewarding work too. Every day, Loo makes a teeny tiny bit of progress and he has become such a happy dog!!!
Last edited by Sarahloo on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.