jumping on people-please HELP!!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow4ever
Rank 0
Rank 0

jumping on people-please HELP!!

Post by chow4ever »

Hello...I'm sorry if this problem was already addressed. I just haven't gone through all training topics. But my chow chow, Simba, loves to jump on people. He jumps on me when I come home. He jumps on my mom and my cousins. Even, when we have guests, he jumps on them too. I know he's just excited to see somebody he hasn't seen in a while or meet someone new but I really want him to stop. I'm used to it, if he does it to me, I don't really mind and I know my other family members are used to it too. It's just I don't know how others feel about it. Those who have come over are okay with it but for future guests, I worry. What if they get scared if Simba were to jump on him or her. I want him to know that jumping on people, especially guests, is a big no-no. Please help!!!
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: jumping on people-please HELP!!

Post by Samson »

How old is he? I've only ever had one chow who's jumped up and have never corrected him either, although he usually only jumps up on me when I open the door LOL. That's just his way of greeting me and maybe your chow has a similar personality. If you correct him, he will interpret that as being is "bad" for greeting someone when he's happy to see you/others.
chow4ever
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow4ever »

Awww...well Samson, my chow chow is only 7 months old and he does jump on me when I enter the door. I know it's his way of greeting me but he does it to everyone (my mom, bf, cousins, aunts, uncles)...well mostly family so far. But I don't really want it to be a habit because I know that there are a lot of people out there who don't tolerate that. There was one time I took him out for a walk and a lady with a baby was saying hi to us, and he jumped on her while she was carrying the baby. Good thing I had him on a leash. She didn't think much of it because she was admiring him, in fact she was laughing but because she was carrying her baby she was caught off guard. I personally don't mind him jumping on me but on top of other people as a way of greeting or saying hello, I want him to stop. Is that bad?
dogbite-expert
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dogbite-expert »

Since you don't mind and other family members are used to it, the jumping is continuously rewarded and will continue.

Try this. When he jumps on you or anyone else, freeze. No words, no touch, no eye contact...no nothing. The moment he
gets down. Reward him. If he jumps up again...freeze again. Ignoring him typically works because his motivation is to get
close to your face and get attention. He doesn't care if it is positive or negative as long as he gets it.

http://www.dogbite-expert.com
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I find it even more amazing that you stand there and watch your dog jump all over everyone without doing anything.

???????????????

Pull your dog off of people and say "off".
even if it means you have to put on a lead and answer the door with your dog on a lead. Put your dog into a sit or into a down/stay.

How would you like walking through someone's door and their child starts jumping all over you?

It doesn't matter what age your dog is, dogs should never jump up on people. It's a sign of dominance that will only escalate in time, and a pre-cursor to other imminent unwanted behaviours, and is totally unacceptable under any circumstances.
Please don't allow your dog to do this, and more over, please consider taking a few courses on how to properly train a dog so that you'll have tools in your toolbox when these situations occur.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
chow4ever
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow4ever »

thanks so much for the replies. good news...Simba's not jumping so much when I come home. actually, he doesn't jump on me at. However, i've noticed he does jump on my cousins and my mom and bf. I've told them not to allow him to do that and ignore Simba if it happens again. Ignoring actually was how I got SImba to stop jumping on me. I know he wants attention but I would ignore him if he jumps on me so now, he knows that the only way he'll get attention is if he stays on the floor, wagging his tail, and smiling at me. (LOL! Yes he smiles...I can tell.) I just ope everyone else follows my rules.
katman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katman »

There's nothing like that purple smile and that little butt-butt wagging from side to side! It just melts your heart and makes all your troubles go away!