My Chow pulls

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lou_2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Chow pulls

Post by Lou_2010 »

Hey peeps
I'm new a new member and i'm looking forward to sharing stories with you all getting advice about my chow Jed
I'm after a bit of info my lil Jed is 7months old now and I’ve had quite a few problems with him and his health over the past couple of months bless him hopefully he's on the mend,
I have recently started taking him for a walk again as he's been house bound due to a skin infection round his chest and legs, the vet told me this could be caused from his harness, I'd been using this as he was pulling, but now he is pulling even worse and I don't know what lead to use on him I don't want to use the harness again in case this causes the infection again??? When I first take him out he's that excited he just wants to run!!! Any suggestions?? :)
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My Chow pulls

Post by Samson »

One of our chows used to pull like that until I bought a "haltie". Problem solved! He's older now and I just need an ordinary collar for him, but when he was younger that halti was easier on both of us

http://cdn-www.answerbag.com/images/ans ... gGrass.jpg
Lou_2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lou_2010 »

Thanks for the reply, Is that the halti harnes or the head coller one as I can't use the head coller one because he's just had a operation on his eyes (entropion)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My Chow, Nahkohe, use to pull against the harness. When he did that, I would stop the walk and tell him good boy when he would walk. I let him know that if he pulled, the walk would stop. Sometimes his legs would just about be "quivering" because he wanted to break into a run but was being told to walk. I haven't tried the halti but several members here have had good luck with it.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Lou_2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lou_2010 »

Thanks for the replies I'm goin to get halti harness today got a feeling this is going to take a long time good job I have lots of patience!! :)
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

Lou_2010 wrote:Thanks for the reply, Is that the halti harnes or the head coller one as I can't use the head coller one because he's just had a operation on his eyes (entropion)
Sorry, I don't know what you mean when you say "head harness" :?:

The halti I used fit around his muzzle and then clipped together around the back of his neck, then I'd just hook up the leash to it.
Lou_2010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lou_2010 »

Sorry! yeah thats the one I mean I was advised not to use that as his eyes are still healing, How did you get on with the halti that fits round the muzzle.
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

Lou_2010 wrote:Sorry! yeah thats the one I mean I was advised not to use that as his eyes are still healing, How did you get on with the halti that fits round the muzzle.
The halti I used worked wonders, there was no need for me to be constantly correcting him, etc. which ends up being a lousy walk for the chow when he's always being corrected. When your chow's eyes are healed, try a halti, they're cheap, work wonders and both you and your chow will be happier on walks. You can also remove the halti from just his muzzle in the middle of your walk if you choose to do so as well.