Puppy Class

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Puppy Class

Post by VTCHOW »

Has anyone had their chow in puppy class? I would like to take Jake to puppy class but the age requirement is 2-4 months and he doesn't finish his shots until 16 wks (4 months) My vet has advised against it due to the fact he hasn't had all shots. I am more interested in the socialization with other puppies. Should I just wait and sign up for the Basic class?
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

I took my chow to puppy class before she finished all her shots. It's a risk, but, so is waiting too long to socialize a puppy. The class I went to made sure the floors were bleached before class. They did check everyones vaccine records to make sure they were up to date for the age of puppy. Despite all my early efforts to socialize her, she is still quite shy around people, but absolutely loves other dogs.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I took Rogan to puppy class at 10 weeks. But it was the middle of January on the Canadian border. Nothing lives in that weather. :shock:

Waiting until Jake is 4 months isn't going to harm him, if you are worried about the vaccinations. As long as you provide him stimulations at home and try to get him exposed to as many (safe) things as you can, you'll have no problem.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

We're looking into puppy class too! A new puppy training and boarding place is opening up near our house and I can't wait.
Mommy to Cabo
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I went to puppy class with Zhu. Wait for Jake to finish his shots. It's important. Talk to the trainer and see if Jake can enter the puppy class after the shots... also find out the difference between the puppy and basic class. Some puppy classes are similiar to basics, where they dive right into the commands and leave little or no time for off leash socialization - unlike the puppy class I was in, where off leash socialiation was predominant. Also find out the average ages of the enrollees in the basic class... just so you know if Jake will be the youngest. Your trainer should be able to help you make the best choice for you and Jake.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I'm a firm believer in early socialization. I've been doing behavior consultations with dogs with problem behaviors for many years and nearly all of the aggression problems can be traced back to a lack of early socialization.

It's a balancing act between the immunity from the vaccinations and the socialization. I get mine into puppy class by 10 weeks or so. I use a class where all the dogs are vaccinated and checked, and I don't take my pups to places where there will be a lot of dogs that may not be vaccinated (i.e. dog parks, dog shows, sled dog lots, etc.) until they are fully vaccinated.

In the 15+ years I've been active with the dog group here, we have NEVER had a case of parvo come through our puppy classes. We do have parvo in the area, mostly in the dog lots, but since all the puppies in the classes are vet-checked and vaccinated (vaccinations are required through a vet, can't be done by the owner) it has helped keep exposure to a minimum. I've also never seen a puppy get parvo who had been properly vaccinated by a vet, on the proper schedule. I'm not saying a pup can't get it - they can - but it's not common at least in this area.

Everyone has to make their own decisions as to whether or not to wait on the vaccinations. I just have seen so many problems with dogs that don't get that early socialization, and in a breed with the "aloofness" of a chow it makes it even more problematic.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska