Seperation Anxiety in a rescue

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tla0126
Rank 0
Rank 0

Seperation Anxiety in a rescue

Post by tla0126 »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and normally post in a rottweiler forum because my heart dog and first dog is a rottie, but at this point, I think I need some help from people who are familiar with the breed I adopted. We adopted Samson 2 years ago in Arizona. We went to the shelter and originally wanted a puppy, but we fell in love with a curly tailed, red and sable coated chow mix who the shelter said, at the time, was 1 1/2. Our rottie, at home, was 2 1/2 and a gentle giant. He's goofy and lovable and wouldn't hurt a fly. Since they were both male, we took Beau (rottie) up to the shelter to meet Samson and the behaviorist on staff said he saw no problem. Neither showed aggression towards one another so we adopted him and took him home that day. The second day we had him, we knew we had some trouble on our hands. When I was on my way home from work the next day, I was almost home and I saw Samson trotting down the street! I called him and he came right to me and I rushed home to see how that possible could have happened, since that morning, I had him secured in the house in a kennel!! Come to find out, he pried his way out of the metal kennel and pushed open our window and got out(according to my neighbor, he came in and out of the house all day). For two years, this anxiety has persisted, we've train him, exercise him, etc, and he isn't getting over his demons. When we are at home, he sweet and laid back. He is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I was fully prepared to do everything I could to help him until recently. We've been through a lot of changes recently, we've moved from Tucson to Texas, and stayed at my sister's for a while, and then moved into our own space. For the full 1 yr and 10 months we lived in Tucson, Samson NEVER showed any aggression towards Beau. Recently, within the last 3 months, Samson has started 3 fights, the last resulted in Beau, the rot, getting stitches. I realize Samson has issues but now my other dog is taking the brunt of it and I can't sit by and let it happen. I'm lost and confused and hurt. I feel like everything we've done for Sam isn't helping and that he's just getting worse. I know this post is long and splotchy because if I wrote everything that has ever happened, it would take me 2 years. Any advice, suggestions, etc would be very much appreciated.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Seperation Anxiety in a rescue

Post by Merlin »

Sorry to hear you are having these issues.
While in most instances they are fixable, it will take some work on your part.

Firstly I have to say, putting two males together together like you did is perhaps already asking for problems, because as you can see, there is already a dominance struggle going on in your household between both males. Generally speaking, when dealing with older dogs, a male/female combo is most likely a better choice. The fact the the chow mix is leaving means he's probably being aggressed by your Rotti and not the other way around. Most dogs who are not wanted in a pack and asked by the superior dog to 'leave' the pack, and that seems to be what this chow is doing.

Please read up on Separation Anxiety
http://www.merlinshope.com/2010/index.p ... icleid=104

and if you care about this guy, consider working with a qualified trainer.
During the day when you are not home, it would be a better choice to keep the two males separated.

best of luck
MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!