Developing food aggression.

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sillyokio
Rank 0
Rank 0

Developing food aggression.

Post by sillyokio »

Hello everyone!
I did search the topic, but I didn't quite find anything relative to the issue that is developing in my household.

I have a 6 yr old chow, and recently (within the last month) we've adopted a second 1 yr old chow. They both get along fantastic, or so I thought. Turns out, the older chow has just very recently (this week) started showing food aggression especially with bones and treats. Today, for instance, I gave them both a bone to keep them busy. The oldest promptly grabbed hers, and the second one and walked off. A few moments later, I hear her freak out, growl and bark. Not typical behavior for her. Ever. So I go to take both treats away, she growls at me!

I finally get them away and give her a "time out" simply by putting her behind a baby gate in the hallway to keep them apart.

Later today, after some good behavior, I give them both another treat and de ja vu! The exact same things happens. She won't even let the other dog in the room, even if he's in no way interested in what she's got.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to handle this situation? It seems to only happen with treats and bones. Not so much with daily meals.
kingalls

Re: Developing food aggression.

Post by kingalls »

The only time my two had a "tussle" was over a raw bone. I can't give them raw bones because Nahkohe thinks all raw bones belong to him. At the same time, Shiloh likes to "egg" him on and will follow him around & act like she is going to take it away. At first I would give them their bones in separate areas but we have forgotten that we had given them bones and when we let one or the other Chow into the room, there would be a scramble over the bone. Squeaky toys are also a problem. Again, Nahkohe thinks all toys in the house belong to him. Unfortunately, he doesn't know how to make them squeak but Shiloh does. So she will see the toy, snap it up, and make it squeak - teasing Nahkohe. She'll drop it if he follows her long enough - he might do a light growl or bark but they haven't actually fought over it. Nahkohe is known to lick his toys to pieces.
As for food, Nahkohe is again dominant in that he decides what bowl he will eat out of. I put their breakfast bowls out. Shiloh will approach one but Nahkohe will go over and stake claim so she goes to the other. While Nahkohe is trying to show his dominance, I think Shiloh is the smarter of the two because she knows how to manipulate him.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
sillyokio
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sillyokio »

We went out of town for the weekend, and left my mom in charge of feeding, controlling aggression and babysitting. According to her accounts, neither dog showed any time of aggression towards the other. Which, not only made a liar out of me, but completely baffled me. Why is it that they do this with just us and no one else?

Very very strange behavior. They seem to be getting along in all other aspects, just not that which involves food or treats.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

This isn't strange behaviour at all.
All this means is that your mother definitely emulates a much more assertive presence than you do, and they won't risk any reprisals.
Spend some time with your Mom and see how she postures and handles these dogs. You could probably learn something from her.

Cheers
MM
:)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!