Chow chow temperment

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

taxprof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow chow temperment

Post by taxprof »

I used to be a chow chow owner when I was a teen. I was a negligent owner and someone stole my chow chow. He was an outside dog and I had no problems with him being aggressive. However, now that I am researching chows to get one now (I am more responsible now) I am hearing that they can be aggressive towards their owners. Also, I live in a condo with no yard, but I have a river trail near by. Is a chow a good "apartment" dog? I also remember my Nico not being a barker. Are most chows not barkers?
Thanks!!
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

Welcome to the site, you are sure to get a lot of feedback here :lol:
If you do wish to become a responsible and good chow owner, then you need to approach the decision without any preconceived notions of chows being aggressive. You mentioned that you were a negligent owner, probably that made your chow aggressive, I can't assume as I don't know the details and am not an expert.
But what I can say is that in the last 5 wonderful years we have had Odessa, she has never shown any aggression towards us. Yes she is very protective and once held my hand in her mouth to take me into the house as I was alone and she did not know the visitor who was at the door, but that was to protect me and even though she was firm, she was so gentle too and did not hurt me.
As for the barking, yes they do tend to have a low growl rather than a high pitched bark and Odessa's vet always teases her by saying "you don't scare me with that soft voice of yours".
Look at the past posts on the site for some insight on the breed, do your research (there is a post not too long ago on chows and apartments) and then if you feel you are ready to be "owned by a chow", please think of adopting one.
You could browse these sites for some additional info too:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chowchow.htm
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/chowchows.html
or do a google search
All the best

Mildred
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

There is only one reason why a Chow or any other breed would be mean and aggressive and that is being owned by a mean and aggressive human so unless your a mean and abusive person you should have nothing to worry about. I don't think 736 registered owners on this site and the administrator would dedicate a website to a Breed that was killing us all.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Any Chow or dog will be aggressive if that is how it is raised by the owner. Don't confuse it's natural territorial response with aggression. I strongly suggest that you start with reading alot of the information found on the homepage of this site. There's alot of valueable information.
Chows are wonderful and loyal. Anyone making a blanket statement that all Chows are aggressive is ignorant.
If you are seriously considering adopting another Chow, you need to educate yourself. The first step is to not stero-type a Chow as being aggressive.
Many on this site will help but you also need to help yourself with research and asking questions.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Zhuyos mom

Re: Chow chow temperment

Post by Zhuyos mom »

taxprof wrote:.....Is a chow a good "apartment" dog? I also remember my Nico not being a barker. Are most chows not barkers?
Thanks!!
You were a teen when you were irresponsible. Now you are older and you have acknowledged you did wrong with your chow. That should make you a more compassionate adult chow parent. As the others suggest, do as much reading up on this site and other chow chow sites to educate you with the breed versus the here-say of those who are just perpetuating a negative "one chow fits all" stereotype. As for your questions, yes, chows are good apartment dogs provided you take them out on regular walks. Most chows are not "barky-yappy-barkers". They do bark, but often with a lower tone and softer bark. They also do their "caution: I am here to protect my people" sneeze...and they speak, what we on this site call "chownese", where they make sounds and grunts that start with a "H" (harrumph, harrr).

I've noticed that chows often model after their owners. If you are mean, your chow will be mean. If you don't know how to show affection or spend time with your chow, your chow won't know how to give you the proper affection or a way to show you their affection. They are very bright and independent creations, so mess with your chow once, it will remember it forever. Conversely, if you are nice, your chow will respect you and be nice to you and others. You should search a member, sixchows, original post. He shares a wonderful story you might benefit from reading.

I hope you find a chow that will melt your heart and you will understand how us on this site feel about our chows. Good luck and keep us posted!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I think it's great that you recognize that you were not the best chow parent as a teen and interested in researching the breed before you try again as an adult. There is nothing like a chow. I have seen aggressive chows, but never to their owners, and I firmly believe that the aggression that I did see in the 2 aggressive chows I have seen, was because of their living situations. Both were well taken care of and loved, but one was rough housed as a puppy and that's all she knew and the other lived in a domestic violence situation and he turned out being overly protective of the wife. My first chow Sasha, came from the same parents of the aggressive chow who was rough housed as a puppy, altho a different litter. You could not have asked for a sweeter, kinder chow. But I refused to allow anyone to rough house with her or tease her, even in play. From day 1 she was treated with respect. Where her sister scared the he** out of people when they walked into my friends home, Sasha was the complete opposite. Never, have my chows been aggressive with me, or my kids. In fact, when my twin daughters were young, they used to lie on the floor to watch television, using Sasha as a pillow. Koda, the 10 month old male I have now, is an absolute sweetheart. He came from a negative experience with his breeder and we have had to deal with fear problems with him, but I trust him in his behavior with us. I also have a 13 and a half week old female named Molly, and altho she is the true stubborn chow personality, I have absolutely no after thoughts about any aggression towards us as she gets older. Chows are smart, and they know who loves them and takes care of them. If they are treated with respect, they will respect back.
Please continue to search this site and all of the helpful information that this site contains. We all make mistakes with our furkids... and making a mistake is not a sin. But not learning from that mistake and trying to correct it, is. It sounds to me as if you are on a positive path and that's great. Be fully prepared before you bring that new chow home, and it will be a more positive experience for both of you. All of us on this site adore our chows and truly respect the breed. And altho we may seem hard at times, it is because of the love and respect that we do have for all chows.
Nancy and Tai

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I live in an apartment with Gracie. She is very well behaved. I have no problem with her barking except once in a while she'll bark at something outside. I take her on several walks a day to make sure she gets proper exercise. She actually is turning out to be a wonderful apartment dog.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Asking about Chow tempermate is probably like asking about human temperment. Most people are wonderful, easy-going and mind their own business, and can live happily in apartments. Most people can and do adjust to whatever life bring them. Then, a few are psycotic, serial killers and they get all the publicity.

Benny, my street Chow stray, has every reason to have a bad temperment. Before we met on deathrow at the pound, someone kept him chained up with such a heavy chain that it took all the hair off his neck in a strip about 3 inches wide for half way around the neck. He was so thin that he gained 20% in body weight in a month. With all that, he is THE most gentle furball I have ever seen. He even defers to George, the 6 pound cockapoo, from next door to the point of letting George eat right out of his food bowl right in front of him. If Benny shows up while George is eating, George lets out a tiny "grrr" and Benny steps back.

Benny barks some at people passing his house, but more in an informational way than threatning. He is still getting used to living outside the city, and sometimes wakes me up talking to the deer, squirrels and other furry-woodland-creatures who happen by in the night.(I'm not sure you can call the armadillos who live under the house "furry") When Chows bark, they have a reason. They are not great conversationalists. They talk little and sometimes listen even less.

The proper Chow should be a great apartment dog. Benny theoretically has the run of a big stretch of woods, lakes and a golf course, but he is usually within a few feet of our house unless I take him on our daily walks. He has only had one "accident" in the house, and I think that one may have just been a case of "signing the lease" to mark it as his home. Again, as you know, some people adjust better to apartments than others, too.

Welcome to this forum. I only found it last week and they members have made me feel like family already. Like you I had a Chow as a child and have always wanted another.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Duplicate deleted
Last edited by jerryo on Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Asking about Chow tempermate is probably like asking about human temperment. Most people are wonderful, easy-going and mind their own business, and can live happily in apartments. Most people can and do adjust to whatever life bring them. Then, a few are psycotic, serial killers and they get all the publicity.

Benny, my street Chow stray, has every reason to have a bad temperment. Before we met on deathrow at the pound, someone kept him chained up with such a heavy chain that it took all the hair off his neck in a strip about 3 inches wide for half way around the neck. He was so thin that he gained 20% in body weight in a month. With all that, he is THE most gentle furball I have ever seen. He even defers to George, the 6 pound cockapoo, from next door to the point of letting George eat right out of his food bowl right in front of him. If Benny shows up while George is eating, George lets out a tiny "grrr" and Benny steps back.

Benny barks some at people passing his house, but more in an informational way than threatning. He is still getting used to living outside the city, and sometimes wakes me up talking to the deer, squirrels and other furry-woodland-creatures who happen by in the night.(I'm not sure you can call the armadillos who live under the house "furry") When Chows bark, they have a reason. They are not great conversationalists. They talk little and sometimes listen even less.

The proper Chow should be a great apartment dog. Benny theoretically has the run of a big stretch of woods, lakes and a golf course, but he is usually within a few feet of our house unless I take him on our daily walks. He has only had one "accident" in the house, and I think that one may have just been a case of "signing the lease" to mark it as his home. Again, as you know, some people adjust better to apartments than others, too.

Welcome to this forum. I only found it last week and they members have made me feel like family already. Like you I had a Chow as a child and have always wanted another.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

My two Chows are the sweetest creatures, but the do bark. especially at the mailman and fedex people.
JR has a really good deep bark...I would not want to meet him in a dark alley.
Cheyenne starts softly then "reves" up and is starting to sound a bit more like her big brother now.
But you know when they will bark...both of them and my one before them...do the Chow thing.."huffs and puffs that come from their throat" {This is the reving part}...then they bark.

I sure hope that you will be more responsible and take care of this breed properly.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I live and have lived in an apartment for a number of years with my chows. They do fine, we have a park a block away and a bigger one three blocks away, we take walks and they are happy with that.

Firesong barks when she hears things she's more nervous than normal for a chow, but most of them are very quiet.

Chows are naturally wary, but with good socialization they should be just fine with people and other animals, they may be aloof, but they should never be aggressive. Don't rough house with them is a key point.

There is a lot of information on this site about chow temperments and how they should be, I'd spend some time reading back through it all.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!