Chow behavior

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Missy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow behavior

Post by Missy »

Hi
My husband and I both have chows. We love the breed. After they had had puppies we decided that perhaps we need to get them fixed because the pregnancy was unplanned. They were fixed about two weeks ago and my female seems fine after the operation. However my husband's male, who was not very aggresive before all of this, seems to have gotten very aggressive and mean towards other people and other animals since he's been fixed. Is this normal in males after they are neutered? I'm just curious because he was not like this before he got fixed. Thank you for any advice you may have in advance.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I think the best thing would be to have him checked out with the vet. Others can give you better advice, but we have a male and he went through the operation just fine and became mellower than he was (if that's possible! :D ). Our vet told us it does take a few weeks for the hormones to leave the system completely. Has his wound healed? Could he be in pain? Sorry I'm not much help, good luck. I hope he's okay. Oh and welcome to the site!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Benny had his done (or is that undone) about six weeks ago. I think it was harder on me than on him. He was mellow before and mellow after. The vet said he might have some weight gain, but it hasn't happened yet.

The vet staff says he's the sweetest Chow they have treated, but maybe they tell all the nervous clients that. He is even getting along with the lady pit bull stray who decided to move in with us two days ago, even let her have his treasured dirty-disgusting-found-in-the-woods piece of rawhide bone. He wouldn't even let me touch it. (not that I much wanted to, without tongs or something)

It could be that the stitches are irritating him or something.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I don't think that is normal. Yes, it takes time for the hormones to balance out but if he was not aggressive before and his new agressive behavior is after the surgery, and it is extreme, I think you need to go back to the vet to recheck their work and make sure they didn't do anything wrong or leave anything behind. Even if they used the wrong kind of anethesia, most of that would have passed through during these two weeks. Maybe someone else here can offer you better advise. Sorry this is happening to your boy.
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

poor baby. Mufassa just had his stitches out Saturday and has calmed down towards Beatle, our other male, quite a bit.
Sorry I can't be of any help.
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "However my husband's male, who was not very aggresive before all of this, seems to have gotten very aggressive and mean towards other people and other animals since he's been fixed."
---

You might consider the possibility of a congenital liver problem, affecting the ability to detox the anaesthetic, the sedatives, the pain meds, etc. Behavior changes after surgery, such as severe aggression, disorientation, hyperactivity, etc., are some of the signs.