Potty Training

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Potty Training

Post by TXSusiQ »

Ok the first week went great - just one little accident!

Week 2 isnt' going so well. He's having an accident every night but not making any noise to go outside. He makes noise during the day but not at night. I'm a really light sleeper and I hear him moving around at night but no noise to go outsdie.
My husband didn't want to crate him and I went along with him but now I'm not so sure.

Any ideas?
Mommy to Cabo
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

I highly recommend crate training. Dogs (especially Chows) will not "go" where they sleep. Until she is completely house-trained my Magda will be sleeping in a crate in my bedroom at night. During the day while I'm at work she will be in a large exercise pen in the kitchen. As she becomes more trained she will have more freedom.

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

I would use a puppy pen on a tarp base at night, so that the pup can comfortably relieve his bowels and still have a clean blanket area to sleep the rest of the night. They don't have much control at this age, and in the natural world would soil whenever the urge signals, and have the freedom of walking away from their 'bedding'.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I didnt have a crate, but I made a little bedtime pen for Gracie. I used old sheets for the floor, my room was arranged in a way I could use a babygate to go from the side of the bed to the wall. So she had a corner to sleep in, was close to me so I could see her, touch her, she could look up and see me. Not one nightly accident. What was funny once I decided to remove the babygate at nights, she continued to sleep in that corner. Then no matter how I arranged the bedroom, that corner was where she'd sleep, clear up until we moved.
If you cant crate, make up a little pen area for your puppy at night.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

My Molly does great at night, it's during the day that we have problems. :( At night she and Koda are baby gated in my bedroom (not because of Koda) and it's been forever since there was an accident. But during the day Molly seems to "forget" or is too busy to spend a penny outside. She can have an accident inside, we take her outside and she will spend a penny again. <sigh>
Nancy and Tai

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily took a long time to control her bladder, I think it's because it was so small! She would barely make it out the door before she had to relieve herself. I got a few strange faces from visitors who showed up at my door before I could clean the cement off! Then when she did make the yard, she would squat 2-3 more times in a very short period of time. And, it didn't help that she loves her water. She also would get excitement accidents, we called the walking pee, because she just kept walking. Good luck, this stage only feels like it lasts a long time! :P
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Hahahahahahaha Molly has had walking pee since I got her.
Nancy and Tai