HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Wow, this is a tough crowd."
---

IMO, the only Chow on this site who truly just arrived from hell is Bronson on the adoption forum. Chow lovers on this forum stand ready to celebrate *anything* good about his life, and would be happy for the opportunity to care for him round the clock, and love him as he is.

People come here to *celebrate* their Chowlings, their second-hand Chows, their disabled and special needs Chows, etc. People don't usually come here to just vent negativity about a Chowling. If a new Chowling doesn't melt someone's heart with love and pride, then there's a problem. Often, the best advice is a harsh reality check.

Chows who aren't really loved get set-up to fail, get labeled, get scape-goated, lose their homes based on any excuse. There was 'no room on the truck' for Bing when his family moved, our family got too busy, too much grooming, it growled, we don't have time... There are too many of these stories on this site, and too many discarded Chows dying in shelters every day.

So, to some of us, the important factor will always be, 'do you *LOVE* this Chow?' or is it a resentment? It's either a family member or it's 'just a dog'.

It's either found its *true* home or is just passing through.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

ngraham wrote:Like Lou, ...

Correction: Like Karen

I didn't join that thread.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Lou wrote: "I didn't join that thread."
---

Quote from Feb thread:

"So, I don't really understand. He wants a cream chowling now versus when Wolfie dies in say 4-5 years? Frankly, your family should cross that bridge when you get there. Just have your husband read these posts. If you can't verbally convince him YOU DON'T WANT ANOTHER CHOW, then maybe seeing it in writing might. The chances of Wolfie not getting along with another chow are 50/50. But your odds of not wanting another chow is 100. Again, let your husband read these post, especially Nancy's!

I have two and for me, they're not physically twice the trouble or hassle. Just double the expenses (food, vet and groomers). On the otherhand, the love I receive from them are double, triple, quadruple, from infinity and beyond perhaps.
Once Wolfie crosses over the bridge, it would be interesting what your real memories of him will be and what you will cherish ... I will over emphasize this... if you don't want one, don't get one. There's another heart waitting and possibly aching for the love of a chow. I've seen it first hand when a husband wanted another chow as a companion for their chow and promised to be more proactive in the new chow's maintence. But when the chowling grew up, all the responsiblity fell on the wife. It was not a pretty sight.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Lou wrote: "Is it a full moon or something?"
---

It was 666 (6/06/06) and with all the spin put on it being labeled Satan's day, listening to another someone spout off about the devil now being inside a bored and feisty pup sounded like more spin.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Fine. So I did. I don't remember 300 odd posts I join in on. I was correcting Nancy's post on THIS thread - THIS THREAD. Karen mentioned about not being sympathetic on THIS THREAd not me. Working with the here and now. Not looking back and searching to get back at members. And, quite frankly, what you posted sounds EXTREMELY sympathetic to Zoe and Wollfie's mom's predicament. So what was your point exactly here? Are you aiming to humiliate fellow members? Don't get it Kiwani.

Do believe in full moon, but don't believe in the 6-6-6 thing. Was too happy and busy yesterday about PB's anniversary to think of the negative contrived 6-6-6 thing. Besides, I had an uncle born June 6, 1906. Was the sweetest gentleman. 6-6-6 is only good if you hit a progressive on the slot machines! I think with having a chowling to raise the satin spin was the least of Zoe and Wollfie's mom's concern. Satin spinning in a chow specific site would be in the mind of a troll. Zoe and Wollfie's mom is a regular and has offered value-added advice to many members.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

There is no getting back involved. Getting back for *what*? I recall that thread because of what *I* posted in it back then when I was deeply grieving.

Both Karen and Nancy were referring to that thread. It doesn't matter to me if no one shares my perspective on a topic.

I *do* look up member's recent posts when looking for additional clues to physical problems their dogs are having. Guilty of that, but I'm not angry at anyone here.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kiwani wrote:There is no getting back involved. Getting back for *what*? ....I *do* look up member's recent posts when looking for additional clues to physical problems their dogs are having. Guilty of that, but I'm not angry at anyone here.
So what was the "physical problem" when I wrote "I didn't join that thread", that my middle-aged brain couldn't recall I did join it? So that is why you chose to copy and paste it on this thread. A thread that has moved past that, gone forward and Zoe is now a part of their family. Then again, "physical problems their dogs are having", mine are just fine, thanks. Nope, don't buy it, Kiwani. You were motivated to search, cut and paste outside of "looking for additional clues to physical problems their dogs are having". Being helpful is one thing, but looking back and posting what I find an irrelevant matter to this current thread is not helpful.

Oh, by the way, I still like you, Kiwani.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Are you aiming to humiliate fellow members? Don't get it Kiwani."
---

I honestly don't understand why anyone would choose to feel humiliated.

I honestly don't understand why you are so angry.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Okay, okay...let's all take a cleansing breath and get some perspective...the issue at hand is helping Zoe, which I hope some of us have. I'm surprised at you Kiwani- I thought you would have researched the 666 thing and found it was first associated with Nero- a devil to be certain, but later was associated with the 'mark of the devil'. According to the news piece I saw last night. In Korea, I believe it was, they had a run on weddings because it is considered lucky there. They also did a piece on a little festival in Hell, Michigan (population 72) where you could get photo ops and a cancelled letter from the Hell post office . Everyone in town but 1 wanted the festival- it looked like they cleaned up financially.

We are a diverse group here. A little tolerance goes a long way.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kiwani wrote:Re: "Are you aiming to humiliate fellow members? Don't get it Kiwani." I honestly don't understand why anyone would choose to feel humiliated. I honestly don't understand why you are so angry.
A believable and expected response by you! I might take back my last comment about still liking you.

AuddyMay, thanks for stepping in and getting things back to Zoe, Wollfie and her mom.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "You were motivated to search, cut and paste outside of "looking for additional clues to physical problems their dogs are having".

"Being helpful is one thing, but looking back and posting what I find an irrelevant matter to this current thread is not helpful."
---

I re-read the whole old thread yesterday when I first copied some excerpts into this new thread. I don't think it's *irrelevant* to what's going on, that the pup was so unwanted. I always look at the whole picture of a problem. I already explained that I often look for clues for physical problems in older posts. It's just my habit to review the history of any case.

You are looking at this as some kind of spite on my part, and I'm really surprised. I am looking at this as *just* a "you tried to talk them out of the pup too, remember now?"
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I'm surprised at you Kiwani- I thought you would have researched the 666 thing"
---

I'm well aware of the roots. I'm also not a Christian.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I was commenting on the wealth of knowledge you normally impart when you post, subject matter not withstanding. Hence my surprise when you spoke so briefly about it...and that wasn't sarcasm, in case you were wondering. :shifty:
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Hence my surprise when you spoke so briefly about it...and that wasn't sarcasm, in case you were wondering."
---

I was just trying to stay on the main topic.

I spend more time examining conversations for things like blood-sugar plunges and copper levels, rather than wondering about any sarcasm. Reviewing the old thread, I was mostly looking for signs of depression to explain the low energy, helpless feelings, the negativity, etc., of the original poster. That's why I asked if there was resentment, lack of love for the pup. In my way of thinking, you can give several pages of practical advice, but if a person is depressed it's hard to act on. I would rather get to the heart of the matter and work at a problem from there.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

OK. So if we haven't completely defeated the purpose of this forum and totally chased Wolfie away forever (and with that, the opportunity to help the chowling in this situation) we need to all step back and stop throwing daggers at each other.

Wolfie was having a bad day. Everyone has those. She is frustrated with the pup; and regardless of whether or not she wanted the chowling, it is there now and her responsiblity. She has acknowledged that and agreed to it. Can everyone retract their claws now and get back to the matter at hand? So the woman vented and dumped her frustration here. BIG DEAL. We've all done it in one way or another. So let's quit bickering and offer advise that she can use. It's obvious she is not going to get rid of the chowling.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Lou wrote:

Opps..... sorry. That's what happens when I reply to a thread while I am waiting for the coffee to finish. Forgive me. :(
Nancy and Tai

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

ngraham wrote:
Lou wrote:

Opps..... sorry. That's what happens when I reply to a thread while I am waiting for the coffee to finish. Forgive me. :(
What are those acronym's you all use... ROFL... LOL...! That's me right now because you JUST checked this?! See the monster a pot of coffee created?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Forgiven! Still ROFL!
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Frankly, I do agree that if Zoe is not going to be taken care of, attended to and everything else a chowling needs, then I would rather see her go to a home where she will be. So I guess I'll join Kiwani in the bad kids corner. We ALL know even in the best of situations where the chow was truly wanted instead of bartered for, those cute little balls of fur can try your patience. I am going through it now with Molly. But there's the difference... I wanted Miss Molly. I can and do look at that little ball of fur and feel love and pride. It is my hope that Wolfie's mom can learn those feelings for Zoe. The fact that she isn't, is what is heartbreaking. Zoe is just being a puppy. She doesn't know any better. She looks to her human to lead and guide her. That's what the replies to my questions over the weekend pointed to. And like Molly, that's what Zoe needs now. Now it's going to be up to Wolfie's mom to do right by her, and if Zoe having her forever home there is what happens, then Wolfie's mom is going to need help dealing with the stress and frustration. But if Wolfie's mom isn't going to do her best for Zoe, then Zoe needs to be rehomed now instead of later and just passing through the foster homes like so many others... because that's what's gonna happen.
Nancy and Tai

ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Lou wrote:
ngraham wrote:
Lou wrote:

What are those acronym's you all use... ROFL... LOL...! That's me right now because you JUST checked this?! See the monster a pot of coffee created?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Forgiven! Still ROFL!
OK Lou... lesson for tonight:
ROFL= Rolling On The Floor Laughing
LOL= Laughing Out Loud.
Believe me, I am waiting til the coffee is done and a cup in my hand and at least 3 sips before I reply to threads anymore. LOL
Nancy and Tai