High Energy

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

High Energy

Post by Tsunami22 »

Hello,

Penelope is now 7 mos. old. and boy, she's just BOUNDING full of energy. Before I got her I did as much research and reading as I think I possibly could. I worried about everything from training strategies to food choices to our relationship. I decided on and sincerely think I enacted what was the best choices. I stay calm, consistent, level-headed, assertive, and patient with her training. She's pretty good at standard commands. But she has SO much energy all she ever does is misbehave! I don't know what to do!

I walk her 2 - 5 times a day for 15 - 45 mins, depending on the weather, the time I have available throughout the day, and my mood. But no matter the conditions she always gets at least 2 10min. walks, that's the MINIMUM. Is that too much to walk a puppy? Is it possibly bad for her hips or joints?

We also go to once a week dog training classes. WE went to puppy classes, are now into first level dog classes, and hopefully after these we're planning on doing the AKC canine good citizen class and/or agility to help maintain her energy and stimulate her brain.

In an effort to help her, when I do leave her alone (usually for 4 - 7 hrs a day when I go to work), I stuff at least half of her daily food portion into several kongs. Some I do loosely with food while others I miss with cream cheese or cottage cheese (on advice from a trainer). I hope it keeps her busy and stimulated.

She also seems to be a pretty smart dog, I know most owners must say this. But for instance, she KNOWS a door knob is how one gets in and out of the door. She will jump up, bite the doorknob in such a way that it ACTUALLY turns, and push the door. Thank goodness for me and unlucky for her that all of my doors are the kind that you have to pull to get outside, not push.

All of this barely seems to help. She jumps up on EVERYTHING. She does what feels like nine thousand zoomies every minute, she chews everything (I give her at least one kong, one nylabone, one rope, and one soft toy so she has one kind of toy for chewing needs). I've taken pretty much everything out of my room, turned all shelves and bookcases around to face the wall so I can't even get to my own things just to stop her from chewing. Even when there's nothing to chew she will chew the walls!!

I wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong or something. I'm uite sincerely much more like a frazzled young mom than a normal dog owner. Am I walking her too much? not enough? Are there any suggestions for things that sap energy from a wiley puppy other than walks? Have any of you had any similar high energy strong willed puppy experiences?
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: High Energy

Post by Coco Chow »

All I can say is Penelope and Coco are clearly NOT related :lol: !
Coco is so lazy, it must be funny to have such an high energy chow as yours! But I don't wish for one, I'm really happy with my furry slug...
I don't think you walk her too much, but to be honest I don't know what you could do to have her more tired. Give her a little puppy brother maybe?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
willfrommaine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfrommaine »

I would not worry that you are walking your chow too much... Our younger chow was getting two 30 minute walks a day and at least 3 miles a day. Now she is on a shorter regimen because she just got fixed and is getting really crazy with less walking. I can't wait for her to be good to go on longer walks again. A few weeks back we took her on an off leash walk up a mountain in northern maine, probably at least 6 miles round trip. She was great and tired after the hike. I think the biggest thing to calm down your chow will be to her her/ him enough exercise and act as calm yourself as you can so you are not feeding the crazy.
-will
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Some chows are just much more high energy. Brambles whole litter were like that - just wild!! Bramble has calmed down a lot in the last six weeks. I dont know why just matured a bit I suppose. I personally would be wary of over exercising it can cause joint problems. I think you will hopefully see her slow down a little as she goes through the next few months and then you can start to build the exercise up after she is one year old.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

you can alway give them challenging toys, kongs and treat balls even puzzle games keep her mentally busy, could even try obiediance training or trick training this is all is tiring and will help with the naughty monkeyness :D
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Yup, my Chutters must be related to your Coco.
He would spend his life on the air conditioning vents.
He doesn't do one extra step and it's all I can do to make him take a walk with Mia and I.
He clearly prefers to stay at home and do his job as chow-skin rug.
Mia
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

his job as chow-skin rug.
I am litteraly laughing out loud :lol: :lol: :lol: !
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Coco Chow wrote:
his job as chow-skin rug.
I am litteraly laughing out loud :lol: :lol: :lol: !
lol same here :lol: :lol:
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki as a pup was very sluggish, then around 6months got some extra energy not bad but we bought her a exercise treat ball. (stick treats in and they roll them around to get the treats out) and she would do that at night before bedtime.. Now she also likes sleeping next to the air ducts and getting up only for a walk or treat.. (she will be 3 in NOV.) But she too could be classified in the chow skin rug catagory.. Don't get me wrong when its zoomie time its game on.. but tires quickly and I like it..
I agree with Will too about watching your energy too.. I notice as soon as my son walks in Nikki thinks its play time and she gets going.. With my exhausted hubby and myself its like another dog..lazy like us..LOL
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

All the chows I had met previously were of the chow skin rug variety!! Lazy, docile, fuzzies barely interested in a pet, occassionally zooming around, and only playful during playtime. Not my Penelope! #-o

I've pretty much resigned myself to her energy levels.

WE do all of the above so far suggested: kongs and puzzle toys with food inside, obedience class, and walks. I joke that I should start taking her to circus dog classes instead!

As for my energy level: tired. She's definitely a morning dog and I am definitely not a morning person. This is where we bump heads. :roll:
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

I think that was funny also, my Bear likes to do the "chowskin rug" thing also. Sometimes I have to walk over her like a speed bump :lol: Bo on the other hand, my little cream boy is like a energizer bunny, he keeps going and going and--------------- :lol:
katman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katman »

My little 10 week old boy is constantly playing/fighting with his new sister, a 1-3 year old Austrailian shepard. She stands over him and he bites her front elbows and they roll each other on the floor. She's 50 pounds and he's 15 pounds. I worry about her hurting him. She will run over him and she puts her mouth around his neck but I don't think she intentionaly hurts him. It's just she's so big and full of energy. We have to do time outs cause they are so wild together.