Walking my chow puppy

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

runningstream
Rank 0
Rank 0

Walking my chow puppy

Post by runningstream »

I was wondering if 2 20 minute walks are too much for a 4-month old chow.

I heard somewhere that walking a chow too much when they are little is bad for their hips, I don't know if this is true or not.

I took her for her first 20 minute walk and she seemed to really enjoy it.
Plus she gets to meet people along the way that want to pet her so that is great for her socialization.

Thankyou
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Walking my chow puppy

Post by Mia »

I think as long as you are going at her speed, it should be fine. Chow are not very big at walking fast, but if they can take their time, it should be ok. If she looks tired, then I would stop.
Let her decide how long she wants to walk.
Mia
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

During a 20 mn walk, Coco actually walks not even a third of it, because she's always busy sniffing around. Look at your puppy, that is the best advice. If he spend 20 mn outside, walking a little bit but mostly sniffing, he's not going to be tired. I think it also depends on the chow, mine is really really lazy...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
runningstream
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by runningstream »

Hi,

Thankyou for your responses, I will watch closely. She seems to have alot of energy at this stage.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

There seams to be quite a difference of opinion on the length of time a puppy should walk. Vets usually say 5 mins for every month, a couple of breeders have said to me one min for every month on a lead walking from and back again eg 4 months = 4 mins out and 4 mins back. The British chow breed society recommends no more tha ten mins total for up to one year olds. So I guess that give a fair idea. But like coco chow says ten mins ambling and sniffing is very different to ten mins trotting full speed on pavements. If I had my time again with Bramble I would err on the side of caution and might have saved us a load of heart ache over leg injuries. If you have a garden the experts all agree as much time as they like running and playing there is good. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
littlelion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by littlelion »

I walk my lion (9 weeks old) 1 hour after i get off work. my dad walks him for another 30 mins to an hour when he gets off work. Lion gets walked at least 1.5 hours each day. Lion loves to be walked....
jounderw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jounderw »

I think what that the length of time and amount of times you are taking your new pup on a walk sounds totally reasonable. I do think that you are giving him a great exercise! Most people don't have the time or patience to even do two walks at all...so keep up the good work. I am sure that you are absolutely loving your new companion.
healthy trim
Waldorf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Waldorf »

I was walking my 4month old Chow chow almost everyday for at least 1.5 hours when he developed a limp. It was arthritis and elbow dysplasia. The vet assured me it was many factors of genetics and exercise. I say this just so you will keep your eyes open if your little furry loved one starts limping, even though they love to romp, don't let them push it to far.

Ashley
truman1kinley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by truman1kinley »

runningstream wrote:I was wondering if 2 20 minute walks are too much for a 4-month old chow.

I heard somewhere that walking a chow too much when they are little is bad for their hips, I don't know if this is true or not.

I took her for her first 20 minute walk and she seemed to really enjoy it.
Plus she gets to meet people along the way that want to pet her so that is great for her socialization.

Thankyou
No dude, its not essential 20 min walk is too much for your puppy. If you increase the timing of walking then your puppy's stamina and strength both increases simultaneously or you can take him twice in a day but you also need same strength. By the way your dog is so cute. :D