males fighting

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tacconelli6
Rank 0
Rank 0

males fighting

Post by tacconelli6 »

My husband and I have 3 chows - 2 males (1 1/2 years old and 1 year old) and a female (1 year old). They have grown up together and for the most part get along, besides a few little spats - until this past week. We were camping last weekend and the two males got in a huge fight over a little piece of hotdog that they found on the ground. My husband broke them up and there was a small cut on the younger one's eye, but not too much damage thankfully. They had been fine since then, but yesterday I filled thier dog bowls with dog food and as I was filling the third bowl, they were going at it again. I had a very hard time breaking them up - I'd try to pull them, apart and they'd keep going after eachother, I tried dumping water on them - it didn't help. I finally got them apart by dragging one inside and shutting the other out - not an easy process!. I finally got them seperated and there were two small cuts on T.J.'s (the older one) face and a small cut on Quincey's (younger) leg. I got them calmed down and put up all the food. Made the decision to feed them separately from now on, and thought things were under control. Well, my husband took our boys to the skate park last night and took T.J. with him. I was home alone with the other dogs and when they got home, as soon as T.J. got out of the truck they were fighting again - bad! My husband pulled them apart within seconds, but the damage was already done. Quincey had blood squirting out from his armpit all over! I got him inside and stopped the bleeding by applying pressure (which it stopped bleeding amazingly fast I thought) and kept him in our foyer with the door shut. I wanted him to lay down so the bleeding wouldn't start again. I gave him a rimadyl that we had left over from neutering him (by the way, they are both neutered and our female spayed.). He laid down and had a peaceful night. I am afraid to let them near eachother now. I am only letting one out at a time and not feeding them together. I know it is not feasible to keep it this way. We can't all live here and keep them separated forever. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why they would all of a sudden be so hostile towards eachother? And what I can do about it? I can't imagine having to get rid of either of them. I am going to contact a trainer in our area - I'm not sure how to find the right one, but I am going to try! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
hmp2000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: males fighting

Post by hmp2000 »

It sounds like a show of dominance between the two boys to see who is top dog (alpha) or the beginning of food agression. Does each dog have their own food dish and where is the female when the fighting is going on?
A Second Chance Puppies and Kittens Rescue
www.asecondchancerescue.org
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: males fighting

Post by rougedriner »

I`m just wondering if your males are still fighting? I recently got a new male pup. I already have a 9y0 female.