Can't take off leash

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Can't take off leash

Post by Merlin »

I can stand with a pound of roast beef and she won't give me the time of day if a squirrel or rabbit is anywhere near.
oh those chows...... I remember learning my first, real, bona fide swear words when I got my first chow! :)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I can't let tippsy run loose either. She'd be GONE! She wouldn't come back unless she wanted to(which she's gotten out a few times when we weren't home, back when we used to leave her out when we were gone, and she'd be sitting on our front porch looking at us like "where have you been? I've been waiting for you to open the door!" :lol: ). She's a brat and no matter how much training I put into her on her recall, it wouldn't work when it came down to it. :? Oh well, it just means she has to stay on leash. :lol:

Jasper however comes when he's called. All that lab is a good thing. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
dizzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dizzy »

chows once of a lead will be gone if your behind or not as long as they are happy then thats it many a time if ran after my 2 :D
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DOHMAN »

My chows are GREAT off leash. I take them on walks daily that way and never have a problem. Then again I sport dog collars just in case. It only takes one walk before they know not to run away from you. I haven't had to correct my dogs with it since the first day they went on a walk. Great investment.
wendy-lou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wendy-lou »

Hi, I am quite relieved reading these posts as it means Mugen ( our 9 month old boy) who we adopted 9 weeks ago is a very typical Chow :D we will obviously keep training him, and maybe one day he will suprise us :lol: but to be honest he has done far more than people told us he would so it's all good :D
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Merlin has laid it out rather well. You have a chow chow, which is not a border collie. Training on a long lead seems like a good idea, and I will probably try that with my two. BUT Malachi, my male, is on restriction right not for not coming when called. He likes to be in the garage with me, and up until a week ago, he could do so at any time. The rule was that he would not go outside into the rest of the world. He had been doing well for over 6 months, and then he decided that it would be cool to go out. It would have been ok if he had just gone out, marked a bush and came back in, but he figured one bush was not enough. I had to follow him about 1/4 mile before he let me catch him. He now cannot come in the garage unless the doors are closed. For all the reasons that have been mentioned, I can't let my dogs run free.