Training question

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Training question

Post by VTCHOW »

Sadie took the basic dog obedience class. In class they taugt me to use a "mark" word when training. I use the word "good" as the mark word for Sadie. Should I use a different "mark" word for Jake?
chris

Post by chris »

ooo, good question. :-) But, what if they are both infront of you and you want both to do something... would 2 different "mark" words confuse them? I think I would just use the same word for both... hmmm... ???

Let's see what the Chow experts have to say on this ... :D :wink:
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Ha!
My usual mark word is "please Dakota, just for once listen to me, pretty, pretty please??" It doesn't usually work by the way. Sorry, I know I'm not much help. :lol:
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Roxana...me too! Please Max-A-Million, Please, please Mahayana, oh pretty please Miss Mei-Mei! (sigh) :D :D :D
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

*chuckling at some of the "mark" words used* .. I'm not sure begging counts!

VTCHOW, I use the same word to mark the behavior with all five of my dogs. I also teach each of them to understand their own name and so I can pair commands or behavior markers with the name if needed. But they pretty much understand - if I'm focused on Khana, and I say "YES!!" (my marker word) they all know that I'm giving her the treat and not them.

What I've found with commands and words is that they need to be clear to the dog but easily used by us. If you start using different words with different dogs, it gets really confusing down the line. When I first started showing and was trying to figure out which commands worked best, I tried different words with the two dogs I was showing at the time and promptly got myself ALL mixed up .. *L* .. I would be in the ring giving the wrong commands! So I've settled now on certain words that seem to work well overall for both me and the dogs.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Roxana wrote:Ha!
My usual mark word is "please Dakota, just for once listen to me, pretty, pretty please??" It doesn't usually work by the way. Sorry, I know I'm not much help. :lol:
LOL Roxanna... that's how it is at my house, especially with Molly. You could just put Molly's name in place of Dakota's. :)
Nancy and Tai