Car Trouble...

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Car Trouble...

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Well, I've mentioned before that Special Dark goes through phases with the car. We've worked really hard to make the car a positive experience for him, praising him and treating him for getting in the car, etc. It seems like once every two months though he goes through this phase where he will not want to get in. Well, the last couple of days have been the start of this phase. We were in a hurry so my husband just picked him up the first time (while Special suffered the embarrasement!) and put him in the car. He made no fuss being picked up and no fuss once he was in the car. I'm not strong enough to properly pick him up (nor do I trust myself to pick him up) so I've just waited him out... if he won't budge, neither do I, and then he finally lets a huge sigh and slowly clamors into the car. Which brings us to last night...

My husband called and asked me to pick him up from work. Usually he will call and Special and I will go pick him up and then all three of us have a nice evening constitutional! Special is so used to this now that whenever my cell phone rings he immediately gets very excited! Well, all of that went like clockwork, but then I get him downstairs and he won't go within 4 cars of our car! So I try to be clever and get him to come a different way where there is a bush he loves to "visit." I suppose I've already played this one out too many times because he just planted his little feet firmly on the ground. I waited for 15 minutes and he did not budge. I was disappointed because I was going to start giving him tiny hot dog bites in the car, and only in the car, to get him to like the car. So we go upstairs (by now my husband has called asking where we were!). He is elated to go upstairs. I take his leash and collar off and he trots to the door. I say "no, you're staying," which usually gets him to stop wagging his tail and pretty much act like he doesn't know us... but not this time. My special boy plops himself right in front of the door so I can't get out. I say "go." Nope. I say "come on Special, treat." Nope. He's sitting there in all his little dark cuteness with that lovely purple tongue hanging out. Finally I have no choice but to toss a hot dog into the hallway so he runs from the door and I sneak out. Sigh. :D :D

Any tips on what else I cna do to help him with the car? I was wondering if I should decrease the amount of trips he takes in it, but I need him to be okay with the car, what if there's an emergency?
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I cant wait to hear the advice on this one because Gracie is the same way. Anytime we'd take her, she had to be lifted in, she would refuse to get in. It was hard for me to take her without my husband driving because she thinks she has to sit in my lap. Even with Princess in the car, loving every minute of it, Gracie was a wreck!
When Gracie and I moved here, it was awful. She refused to sit in the backseat. Ended up we had to let her sit in the front seat (which made me nervous) and she sat on my daughters lap while I drove. We had to stop so often I think our 8 hour drive turned into 10. She's just a nightmare to try to have in a car.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I might repost when I have more time to think but my initial impression on the problem (s).... your chows have enablers! Special has dad to carry him into the car when he (Special) doesn't want to... and Gracie, well, not only did she needed lifting, she has to sit navigator (the front passenger seat) AND with a nice lap for her bun! Your chows have had human enablers! Why do their royal bodies and paws need to "get in" to the car when someone is there to carry them in?! This is a perfect situation where I would recommend Melanie's training experience be helpful to your two.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I waited for 15 minutes and he did not budge..."
---

You're giving him too many opportunities to control situations. Try giving him the tiniest sliver of treat and praise for obeying a command in several places along the way to the car, and the *big morsel* for entering the car.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

One thing to look at is how high are your cars? Pekoe's car I call it that because that's the only car she will get in with no trouble so we use that car all the time, but some of these SUV's are to high for them just to hop into, some cars Pekoe needs a running start to get in others we have to pull up next to the curb, its not an age thing she has always been like that. If all else fails my for sure never fails way is to just say, Come on Pekoe get your butt in there I don't have all day and move her so her face is in the car then I say up,up she jumps in. Pekoe loves being in the car (front seat, floor) the only time I might have trouble getting her in is when we are leaving a park and she wants to stay.

Like Kawani says some of you are giving your Chows way to much control, I spoil Pekoe and let her get away with most everything but when I want to go I want to go no time for messing around. I don't play dog games with dog commands I just say get your *Censored Word* in the car. I know some disagree but dog talk and dog commands are worthless with a Chow just talk to them like you would anyone, they understand more then you think. What would you say to your kids if they didn't want to get in the car or were acting up, Say the same thing to your Chow with the same tone. No hitting and swearing or dragging them by thier paws through Wal-mart tho.

When did the censors take over, As# isn't a censord word. What if I were talking about a Donkey.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

yeah, you say that we are enablers and I'll have to admit, I certainly have been an enabler. We had a van, and for the longest time it was very hard for her to get in. I use to think she just couldnt do it until we left the vets one time and she was more than happy to get in the van!! But, since alot of times my husband would have stuff in the van, alot of times she'd have to sit with me. If I was the one driving, she and Princess would share the passenger side in front. So yeah, I did create that one. Guess when thats what she's been taught its kind of hard to expect her to know she has to sit in the back.
We lived in a really small town, wasnt like we were driving far, sometimes it was only a few blocks. Being in a place like this though, she wont be allowed to be in the front. In fact, I want a seat belt for her!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Did you ever read the story of when i first adopted Pekoe and tried to get her in the Car, She was also very well trained at that time, It was front seat or no seat, no matter whos or what car, had I not opened the front door to get something we would still be in that parking lot 8 years latter trying to get her in.

And I'm the one that just got through saying some of you let your Chows have to much Control. I didn't know her then but its still front seat or no seat. You should see the looks on People's faces when I tell them they have to sit in the back Pekoe sits in the front, even if its thier car.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

OMG too funny Jeff. But I have NO room to talk. Sasha was one of those chows who also sat in the front passenger seat. I STILL hear it to this day about how Amber and Ashley had to sit in the back seat because Sasha demanded the front seat. LOL And that never changed with her. It was front seat or no seat... period. When we got Koda, he got used to sitting in the back seat.... not that I cared if he sat in the front seat. Amber cared. LOL She wasn't sitting in the back seat for a dog again. LOL But.... there have been times when Kodie has jumped in the front seat and not wanted to move... so guess who goes to the back seat. LOL Koda loves going for rides. He jumps right in my car and is more than ready to go. He also loves riding in Matt's big 4x4... but it is so high, Koda has to be picked up and put in it. He has his own place in the back seat. LOL Molly isn't too overly fond of the car yet... but admittedly since we got her with all of the chaos of moving, she hasn't had the opportunity to go bye bye like Koda did.
Nancy and Tai

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Yes, I also knew right away that picking him up was not the right thing to do. My concern is exactly what you mentioned Jeff, if I need to go, I need to go. What if I need to get Special to the vet in a hurry or something equally horrible? I don't have time to just wait it out.

Thanks for the tip kiwani. I'll try that for sure.

I don't know what it is that has him so uneasy about the car (I've mentioned before that he cries during the car ride no matter how short, or long, it is). It's a regular car, not an SUV or mini-van or anything so I doubt that it's too high. The reason I waited it out with him is because I didn't want him to think "oh, okay if I just here long enough I don't have to get in," but once again, I also really don't want that battle to become part of the car ritual. I just wish I knew what was so horrible for him about the car...
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

I try to take Coco with me almost everywhere that I go. He loves going in the car and especially because he knows at the end of our journey will be his boy Andrew. I am trying to get him used to the car since we are going to be going on a big adventure this summer.. we are moving from Ontario to Nova Scotia which is at least a 1400.00 mile trip. I just have to open the door and he goes running and jumps right in..he would prefer the front seat but I always make him sit in the back since I just don't feeling comfortable trying to drive or see with a 50 lb chowling sitting in my lap.. :lol: He is good for short trips but sometimes he gets sick in the car on longer drives. Any sugggestions with this problem?

Carol and Coco
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

I rarely have this problem anymore, but did at one time.I was advised to use dramamine, and it works, but I feel ambivalent about using it. Probably harmless, just don't want to make Sophie an OTC junkie.

I discovered that she seems less inclined to vomit in the car if she has something to eat beforehand, oddly enough.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I might bribe my baby too much but it saves time. LEO is happy to sit on the floor of the front passenger seat w/ me or on her on when I'm driving. But I don't like it as it is not the safest way to travel. She also takes up the whole of the luggage space w/ the pet barrier on our SUV on longer trips, like when going up to Tahoe. Last ski trip was w/ two of our friends, so we had to borrow a luggage pod to sit on the top of the car, and the littlest one taking up the most space. :shock: We tend to think ahead when getting ourselves committed, like in renting a house, we went for a place that allows pets before getting a dog, and when getting a car an AWD to go up to Tahoe when we first arrived in SF from UK. BUT we didn't think hard enough for the car. I am kinda sorry we didn't go for a SUBARU Outback now that LEO is fully(?) grown. She is 44lbs-ish, it's easy to lift a 40lbs sand bag into the back of a SUV, but a wobby 44lbs by a 90lbs middle-aged woman is not easy. I saw a pet ramp in my local pet shop going for $152 or something. Guaranteed to support 300lbs!! and it weighs something like 32lbs. I didn't have a heart to spend that much money on a thing that weighs as much as my dog even if it supports close to twins of us plus shopping. Anyone w/ cheaper options, please inform us![/i]
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm not sure if it would work, but if Leo uses steps at home, a small 2 step utility step like they have for kitchens might work. Do you know the kind I speak of?
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Thank you for the suggestion. Great minds think alike! We went to BBB(Bed Bath & Beyond) last WE to get a stepladder. We tried it out in the parkiing lot, but it seemed too narrow & steep and LEO didn't take to it so we returned it there and then. We also went to Petco and looked at these steps-as seen on TV-you build and put a cover on, but thought that would be quite cumbersome to keep in the car. We window shopped in 4 different pet shops on Saturday... Non dogs owners will think we're crazy spending so much time & effort on JUST a dog... :lol: :lol:
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Carol, luckily Special doesn't get car sick so unfortunatelt I wouldn't ahve any suggestions about that.

Leo's Mum, I was also going to suggest the as seen on tv pet stairs, but you're absolutely right, that might be a bit much to keep in the car. I'm sure what else you could try, Hopefully someone will come up with something that will work great.

As for us, so far so good. Rewarding him in increments is owrking out well. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think what ever you get is going to be cumbersome, You could try a piece of nerrow plywood with carpet on it like a ramp. You may have to put some carpet on the steps if you get them i tried that once the steps were to slippery for Pekoe. If worse comes to worse have one of those wheelchair lifts installed on your car.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

simbasmom wrote: "He is good for short trips but sometimes he gets sick in the car on longer drives. Any sugggestions with this problem?"
---

B-complex is used for motion sickness and nausea, plus there are vitamin herbal blend 'motion sickness' formulas which contain the B-complex and ginger as a stomach relaxant.

It's also helpful to ease smoothly into braking and accelerating, plus keep down noise (no radio).
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Leo's mum,

For my birthday, my brother bought Zhu a dog ramp from dogramp.com. We have the side kick. I will show you when we meet up. It's been useful. It is also not too expensive. It is very light. Zhuyo has a RAV4, so it fits in the back just fine. I'll show you. If you buy a ramp, the type of car you have is important in choosing the type of ramp. Zhu's Rav's passenger doors don't accomodate his ramp so when we use the ramp he either enters from the back of the car or sits up front with me. Pooh Bear thinks the ramp is the distance she needs to be airborne before she can get into the car!
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Thu May 25, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I didn't have a heart to spend that much money on a thing that weighs as much as my dog even if it supports close to twins of us plus shopping. Anyone w/ cheaper options, please inform us!"
---

Look into a 'cargo step' used for dogs. There are several versions of a step platform which attaches to the hitch of SUV's and pick-up trucks. One of them which 'folds away' is called the 'Twistep' (500 pound rating) and a less expensive 'cargo step' with a 300 pound load rating, non-slip surface (13"x15"), is priced about $70. Check in dog supply catalogues and auto supply.

LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Lou, Kiwani, thank you :D I checked them out on the internet. The hitch attachment looks v neat. We have a bike hitch attacher, so not sure if it will work. I shall have my hubby take a look at those sites over the WE. I tend to go for the lowest tech gadget :oops: I am tecnically as well as vertically challenged :oops: :oops:

Jeff, the thought of having one of those automated lifters at the back of my SUV made me smile. And just for a dog! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I can see Pekoe on it now, only, instead of a wheelchair, it would be a throne...hehe.