Help! Bitting Problem...

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowmane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help! Bitting Problem...

Post by chowmane »

Hello All!!

My KOLA!! Is has a bitting problem... i tried everything... how can I tell him to stop without hitting him?

How did you guys stop your dog from bitting... please help!!! :shock:
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

First, don't hit your Chow!
Second, keep telling him No when he bites, pull away and walk away to show him it's not acceptable
Third, go to Search toolbar and type in *Biting and you should see several posts that cover this subject

Karen
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The way you stop it, is to not stop trying. You aren't going to get immediate results, it may take days, or even weeks. When Kola bites, let out a loud, startling gasp. If he stops, or not, re-direct him to an object you want him to bite on instead. Keep doing this until he stops biting you. Do NOT get angry or frustrated and hit him. It takes patience, but he will learn.
chowmane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowmane »

I'll try ur routine Auddymay! Thanks!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

The others have said quite right Chowmene. :roll:
It takes patience, consistency - just keep at it and he will get the message.! :shock:
Little monkey, he will try it on but you just have to keep on. Also, a little time out might help too. When Milly was a chowling with sharp baby needle teeth that hurt, if she got too rough which sometimes she did, I would put her in the kitchen. She had a box in there and I had a baby gate up between the kitchen and sitting room door.
I would put her in there and she could see us but could not come in to us. They don't like it!! :(
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
goodas_AU
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by goodas_AU »

Yep! All great advice-chowmene!

I feel for you though! I'm still going through this with Tucker!
It's getting much better! He's 15 weeks, and mostly now only mouths/bites us when he gets too excited! If he's not too wound up he's finially starting to listen to "Don't Bite"! after weeks and weeks...( and believe me there's been days when I wanted to hit him!).( Just keep saying it and try to stay calm!) Also he's listens when we say "Off" when he tries to climb all over our 4 year old son!( he use to get worse of it because he so small)we had to keep them seperated, but like I said that's getting better too!

Good Luck
hang in there
and know your not alone!

Leigh
In Loving Memory of my best friend in the world "BEAR" 1987-2002

Here's to new beginnings "Tucker"
chowmane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowmane »

omg!! He bites stronger everyday.. he just bit me right now on my foot... I was like AHhhH!! He barked at me and did it again.... He has a chew toy... he plays with that.. but I guess I have to keep on saying no when he bites stuff that I don't approve?