The things a dog can do

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

The things a dog can do

Post by pfordeb »

Here's a belated April Fool's joke, I could not resist:

There are all kinds of jobs you can teach your dog – bring me the remote, find my car keys, go get mom, put your toys away, put this in the trash.

This is from a real article, written by someone, whom I presume, never met a chow.
courtsey of Sweetpea
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The things a dog can do

Post by CoraP. »

Really!! :lol:
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The things a dog can do

Post by kiwani »

Excerpt:

We train Chows for use as Service and/orTherapy dogs.

Why the Chow?
Chows have been used for thousands of years as worker dogs: guards, cart dogs, babysitters. They are exceptionally devoted to their humans, and will work ceaselessly to help their human. They are strong, durable dogs, with great longevity. Chows can generally serve as Therapy dogs or Service dogs for at least a decade.

Do dogs that have been bred to become service dogs make better service dogs?
We can definitely see a difference! Zorro's Dynasty has bred and trained service/therapy dogs for 15 years, and we have developed lines of Chows with especially calm, stable and loving personalities. They are in use throughout Austria and now in America.

Where do I get such a Therapy Dog/service dog?

Whenever we have litters of pups, we carefully observe the personalities, and select certain ones as Therapy/Service Dog candidates. We don't sell these for pets, or for show dogs. We keep them, and train them from the beginning for obedience. When they reach about one year of age, they are suitable to begin training with the person who will become their permanent daily user/handler/owner. We urge potential owners to visit the pups during this first year, to observe for compatibilities, personal preferences, etc.

For what types of tasks/duties have we trained our Chows?

Reaction dogs: To warn of, or respond to, impending seizures in epileptics, or low blood sugar episodes in diabetics.

Guide dogs: To assist blind or deaf people to respond more appropriately to the world about them; to guard against unseen traffic, or obstacles, or to alert for unheard phones, buzzers, chimes, etc.

Wheelchair dogs: To pull a person in his/her wheelchair; to open doors; to bring specified objects; to assist the person in/out of the wheelchair.

http://www.ofzorrosdynastychows.com/therapy.htm