Selective Hearing

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Achilles
Rank 0
Rank 0

Selective Hearing

Post by Achilles »

My chow can be defiant at times.
He understands commands, he knows right from wrong and when he is in fact in trouble...
However, sometimes he outright doesn't listen.
For instance, when he's left home alone (with his kitten sibling), regardless the time frame, he finds one way or another to act out and upon our return, immediately retreats to his bed because he's aware of the punishment to come.
He's also just selective about commands when he gets distracted, either just a walk on the leash, or in public.
He's still a puppy, so I'm aware maturity will help, but I'd like to do anything I can while he's young just to instill it in him sooner than later.
Any tips on getting chows to respond well to commands?
Amber
-Amber [Emery + Achilles]
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Selective Hearing

Post by Loha'sDad »

Maturity won't necessarily help so much. Just constantly reinforce the fact that when he obeys your commands, it makes you exceedingly happy. As in, "Good boy", "Good Good boy", 'That's my good boy"------ all the time petting him affectionately.

Loha's Dad
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Achilles wrote: when he's left home alone, he finds one way or another to act out and upon our return, immediately retreats to his bed because he's aware of the punishment to come.
Hi Amber,
if you punish Achilles when you come back home, there's a good chance he will link your return with a punishment, and that is not something you want. You say he's aware of the punishment to come, but he's probably thinking "she's coming back home, so now she's going to get mad, and I'd better hide", and not "I've done something bad, so I'm going to be punished", especially because if he has done something wrong (probably to relieve some stress he has from being left alone with the cat), he's probably done it way before you came back home, and has forgotten about it. And knowing he's going to be punished at your return, probably add to his stress...
Just a thought... I don't know what kind of troubles he makes at home when he's left alone, but I don't think you should punish him for something he made because he was stressed, something he forgot about. Have you tried to leave him at home with a toy he could chew on, it could help relieve his stress, and with the music on too, or the TV?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
chris

Post by chris »

well, Chows are like human children... and respectivley like human childrens parents... or even your spouce... :wink: :lol:
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Achilles wrote:Any tips on getting chows to respond well to commands?
If he's not getting enough exercise to burn off stress chemistry, he'll create his own fun while he's alone and bored. The body needs to burn off stress. And if he's not burning off enough stress chemistry, it'll become more difficult for him to *concentrate* and *learn*. If you are *punishing* him for being a bored pup, you are just escalating his stress, plus eventually you'll lose his respect.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

With a chow, the trick is to make them want to do well for you. They must respect you in order for them to listen. If all you are doing is 'yank & crank' and boring the life out of him, well, there's your answer. Lots of positive reinforcement is needed, and train in short 5 minute bursts. He has to believe you are the life of the party and that you will become the silliest, most entertaining person on the planet when he does something correct.

Also - keep in mind this takes ALOT of time. YEARS, even. Patience is key.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I've never done a lot of work with commands. I am happy if they sit and have good manners (no jumping, nipping, etc.). Chows are not the best listeners. They do what they want, when they want. It is the nature of the breed. Many have a lot of training success, so if that's what you want to do, I'm sure with tons of patience, you will succeed. Just remember, a chow is not like any other breed and definitely not big on obeying commands.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

CoraP. wrote:Just remember, a chow is not like any other breed and definitely not big on obeying commands.
They will obey any command you give them, if you communicate it appropriately.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Ha, sounds like your typical Chow! My Carter is the EXACT same way. He's extremely intelligent and knows all his commands we've taught him, as well as many more we haven't discovered yet (he's adopted). When he's at home (with the right treats), he will do almost anything we tell him. In public or on walks, he will outright ignore us. You can say his name 30 times and he won't even twitch an ear. The only way I can get him to pay attention to me in public is with Chicken tenders from BK.

The only tip I can give, is find treats he really likes and use them for those tough times when you know he will have a hard time paying attention. That is the only way I could get him to cooperate in his training classes.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Chows are willful. They are not always treat motivated, especially in public. Stress, which rises when in unfamiliar surroundings, often causes then to refuse even the best treat. My own Lily will not eat treats when out and about. She will take them in her mouth, and drop them on the floor in front of her, all the while looking at you like you were trying to poison her.
That is why it is important to be the center of their world. And that takes time.

I agree with Rogan's mommy and Coco (Michele and Elodie). If you see something Achilles destroyed and get angry, he is for sure reading the anger, but not making a connection as to why. Crate him, or put him in a room where he cannot be destructive when you leave.

I have seen those treat logs and figured they would go bad before my furkids got through them, thanks for the tip Jonathon. I usually get jerky strips. Treats work as a good motivator at home, and I do use them. I try them on walks, no go- especially when we need to 'leave it' on a nice smelly bit of carrrion. If anyone can teach Lily to leave a carcass without being dragged away, I will bow down to you...lol.