Chow puppy that bites HELP

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Chow puppy that bites,

Please is there anyone out there that can help me with some information to give a young man that bought a chow puppy from a pet shop a week ago, This 7 week old chow girl bites everyone, I feel this could be a nervous reaction and possible she was not socialized from birth, she sits and barks at nothing and growls when anyone comes near her, and when her owner says NO to her she attacks him with the intention to do harm, when they use the broom to brush out the house she attacks the broom growling and biting it. He will be bringing the puppy to me on Sunday so that I can have a look at her, and hopefully give them some advice on how to deal with this attitude she has developed, they are thinking of selling her to someone else but I think they will only be getting more problems if they don’t tell the new owners of her problem. Please can anyone out there suggest anything, I have never experienced this type of behavior in a chow puppy before and really would like to help this man and his wife, and be able to advise him before he does something drastic. HELP. Please note that this puppy is left on her own during the day as both her new owners work so she see’s no one from 7am until about 5.30pm. And is left in the garden. With no one to discipline her or love her.

Carolyn Dewrance
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Carolyn,

Dare I suggest that this baby chowling being passed on to someone who is prepared to look after her better might be the kindest thing for her?

I don't think that being left in a garden for that many hours, on her own, is the kindest thing - in fact I think it is darned right cruel.

She needs about four small meals a day for a start and she needs to be talked to and cuddled and loved and played with.

For crying out loud, she is a baby!

So, it might be an idea to find out why they bought her in the first place other than the fact chow babies are just absolutely adorable.

Otherwise, I really don't know the answer. All I do know is that a 7 week old chowling is an adorable little creature who needs looking after, not left alone for what must seem forever!

Sorry, but that is how I feel.
:shock: :? :cry: :( :o :!: :?:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow puppy that bites

Post by Elaina »

Maybe its me...but I don't think a puppy should be taken from its mother until its at least 8 weeks old. This puppy was just too young as it hasn't completed the lessons that its mother should have taught. I'm wondering if this little one came from a puppy mill.

I agree the puppy should go to someone who can spend time with it. The puppy has to learn socialization skills, be fed several times a day, and loved. No puppy should be left alone for hours at a time. In fact, there are some adult dogs that should not be left alone.

The puppy is biting because of fear, frustration, and lonliness. Chowlings are just too cute when seen in the pet stores, but before one purchases a baby, one should be able to devote time and resouces.

Elaina and Max-A-Million (and soon Mahayana) :? :evil: :( :?
kingalls

Biting puppy chow

Post by kingalls »

Carolyn,
This puppy definitely needs help. It doesn't sound like the current owners have time for their chowling unless they feel they can change their schedules. If they sell the puppy to anyone it should be done with complete disclosure so that the chowling is adopted or sold to the right people that can spend the time to help the chowling overcome her current issues associated with being taken away from the mom too early.
The chowling deserves an owner that will have the time and patience to help her work past the lack of socialization.
Karen
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Do you know the high squeel method? If not, send me a private message me and I will try to teach you online. I think the chowling is nipping and not biting. It was taken out of her litter so young that she's probably exibitting eith pack order nipping or trying to nurse something. Not an expert, never bred or desired to breed... I'm just a chow mom, but you never know. Perhaps when you see the chowling, you might want to let her meet your new "mommy", if she's agreeable. I forgot her name and see if the chowling behaves differently.
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thank you every one for your kind concern, I will keep you all posted as to what she is like on Sunday, and if need be I will take her into my home for a couple of weeks to see if she behaves herself and becomes more ajusted before allowing her to go back home????
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

debbie and bones

chowling bites?

Post by debbie and bones »

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see a 7 week old chow biting hard enough to even be scared of it much less chase it with a broom??? They still have baby teeth then. The poor little one needs cuddling and love and to be shown who is in charge. I think it is a good idea to take the chowling in with you and socialize it with your other dogs and you show it some TLC. Then do some education with the owners on chows and how to handle them and how to handle a puppy. Sounds like they may be in over their heads and don't have a clue what to do. Good luck you are willing to help them out. Out breeder would not release her chows until they are 3 months old so she can keep them with litter and mom and teach them and know their temperaments. She nicknames every one according to their temperaments Bear was love bug and Bones was pistol - she knew who they were right away!
Good luck and keep us posted! Debbie and Bones
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

chow puppy that bites

Lou I see you sent me an email but I could not open it, would you send it to me a my email address cdewrance@mailbox.co.za Many thanks.
Will let you know what I find on Sunday, and what she is like.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I can't resend from this site. Once I send, it's gone. Maybe the administrator can retrieve it for you. Send Terri an e-mail from this site or maybe try opening it up again. Perhaps there was a glich in the system when you tried the first time.... I had a hard time sending you the e-mail because my computer was acting up at the time. I actually had to type the same message 3x's. If you get to open your mailbox message, you'll notice because I'm sure I sound a little inpatient.....click on your "you have # new messages" menu button on the top right hand corner of the page and see if your message box opens up.
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

chow puppy that bites

What a lovely puppy, she came with her owners to visit me today, and not a growl or a snap all the time she was with us, they decided not to leave her with me as they would miss her, She played with the other dogs and this is what I think is missing a companion of her own, the broom fighting I have told them that she is playing and all puppy teeth are very sharp, so are their claws, I have showed them how to handle her, I have told them about the Squeel method and they laughed but I am sure they will try it, thank you Lou. I have advised that she needs a companion, and lots of toys to play with and lots of Love which I am sure she gets. She is tiny looking more like an 8 week old puppy then what they say she is 10 weeks my 4 week olds are not much smaller then her. Well we will have to see how she goes and hopefully they decide that they want to keep her, I would love to have her if they decide otherwise. But as a rescue. Will let you know more as I hear from them
By the way they read chowchow.org and that is where they picked up my name and address from then they contacted the Chow Club in S.A. for my phone number and isn’t it a small world we live in, so nice to know some one else in S.A reads this wonderful site.

Regards Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so glad Carolyn, I do hope it works out - I hope they can resolve the leaving her alone for so long. :)
mdyson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Biting Puppy

Post by mdyson »

This may sound cruel but it really works!! Lay the puppy on its back and gently lay on top of it with enough force so it cant move, but without hurting it!! This shows the puppy right from the beginning who's the boss. Believe me, I have had 3 chows and I have done this to all 3 of them and it really works.
Good Luck
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Good Grief Carolyn - I absolutely forgot about that! Lying on the chowling!
Rhiannon, our daughter has a Standard Schnauzer. Hector us gorgeous but when he was a pup he was a little 'sod'.
That is what she used to do with him. Now I don't know who told her or whether she read it. Schnauzers are very mouthy - both with the voices and their teeth and when he started, she would grab him, put him on his back and straddle across him with just enough pressure to make him realise just who was boss! She did not like doing it particularly and she would grab his beard and hold it and totally restrict his movement for a short while - one could see he was humiliated but it was necessary.
I had forgotten totally - it worked and he is now beautiful - lively, gorgeous but controlled.
It worked!
I suppose I did not remember about it because Chows and Schnauzers are so different. :roll: :)
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

MDyson, I think you may be referrring to what's been termed the "alpha roll". We used it (with success) with our alpha female akita/gsd early on and it worked, but I think that the structure of a chow (stiffer, at least as an adult) could cause harm to either a muscle or bone, so I'd be wary of that, myself. When we play with Kodi and she rolls over onto her back abit, I have to remind my husband that he can't just take her and roll her back and around from that position as her legs are built differently. He's done it a couple of times and she's yelped in either surprise or pain. Either way, not good. :wink:
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558