Young Chow, new UK owner seeking reassurance/advice

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

maximusfurricus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Young Chow, new UK owner seeking reassurance/advice

Post by maximusfurricus »

Hi all, my first post here and it's a bit of a long one so I hope you will bear with me -

Myself and my wife until March this year had a Chow cross that we had rescued, he had to be pts due to illness, but he was approximately 7 years old when we rescued him and we had him for 8 years, so he didn't do too bad in terms of lifespan. We don't know what he was crossed with, possibly a rough collie but very hard to tell, Chow breeders that met him told us he could pass for a purebred. He had a typical Chow aloofness/stubborness and red/cinnamon? rough coated appearance, and was very laid back, quite happy to lie in a doorway keeping an eye on things. He was never destructive, very fastidious - rarely messed in the house and if he did it was either due to illness or being left too long. He seemed to accept being left alone at home for 5 hours daily without any problems, if longer a neighbour would walk him. Very occasionally I would hear him howling a little if we were late home (I feel a wave of guilt at the memory), although he would put on a ' who me? I wasn't howling' expression when I opened the door. He was probably the perfect pet in many ways and it upset us far more than we expected when he had to be pts, we were absolutely traumatised/numb for weeks and still miss him very much.

Since then the idea of getting another Chow has never been far from my thoughts, in the UK Chows seem to be pretty rare, I've only seen 2 or 3 listed on rescue home websites UK wide, and there seem to be only 5 or 6 breeders. We wanted to get another rescue anyway, I can understand why people want puppies, but we preferred the thought of offering a home to an unwanted Chow and also the advantages that come with an adult dog.

After obsessive searching of websites I managed to locate a 15 month old recently neutered Chow in a large rescue centre. After a fair bit of travelling and cost we've brought him home. We've only had him a few days but he is demonstrating some difficult behaviours, we've probably been spoilt by the easygoing older Chow we used to have and the 10 month gap in dog ownership so are a little taken aback. He doesn't appear to be toilet trained, in the few days we've had him he has used every room in the house, if out of sight for a minute you would find a wet patch on a rug, or worse. Rugs and doormats are preferred targets as well as the kitchen floor. He doesn't seem interested in toileting during a walk, maybe a little peeing but no solids. Because of the mess he was making we locked him in the kitchen and adjoining corridor area at night, the first night he barked and whimpered at the door that connected with the rest of the house for about 15 minutes then settled down. The second night he barked and whined for half an hour. We have to open the door to access the bathroom (single story house with semi-open plan layout) so when one of us had to go during the night it set him off again for maybe another half hour. In the morning we found some 'gifts' in the kitchen as well as a lot of claw marks on the door, a new trick the clawing - something he didn't do the first night - My wife is not happy....

The same morning (this morning in fact) we both had to go to work so it would be his first time alone for several hours. I had experimented with him a little in the past day or so, going out of the house for half an hour, he would bark and settle down after a few minutes. But after being alone for 5 hours whilst I was at work I got back to find he had done considerable claw damage to the wooden door that is our main entrance. I'm quite worried about the possibility of this behaviour getting worse. I'm thinking we may need to get a baby gate to confine him to the kitchen at night and during the day.

Otherwise he seems to be a well tempered chow, has a bit of a fondness for our bed which I'm having to chase him off, but he is already revealing a little chow dominance with this, refusing to get down until picked up etc. He has a habit of sitting whenever he wants something, food/walks or who knows (he seems to be very hungry - would certainly eat more than the 'recommended' amount on the dog food packaging), I keep thinking maybe the sitting is a signal that he wants to go out for a pee but so far he seems to just want to have a walk whenever I respond in this way. He follows me or my wife from room to room, sometimes jumps up at us if excited (trying to minimise this) mouths a little but so far desists when told to. Pulls on the lead, we use an extendable leash and live in a rural area so not a major issue as when given a longer leash he usually stays within 20 feet or so.

So, for anyone that's made it this far through this gigantic post - to sum up, I'm probably expecting a lot of a young chow that has spent several months in a rescue home, but would appreciate any suggestions/anecdotes/advice anyone would care to offer to deal with his toilet training, separation anxiety and anything else. We're reluctant to try crate training, we may have to, but even the thought of using a baby gate is something I'm uncomfortable with, but realise it may be the only way. If it wasn't for the lack of house breaking I would try letting him have the run of the house during the night, the last dog usually slept on the sofa (he was never interested in any dog beds etc).

The routine we are trying to establish for him is a walk first thing in the morning, then half his food after this, left alone until I get home at 1pm, then a walk. Another walk at 6pm, another shorter one at 9pm and his remaining food, then a short trip outside before lights out at 11pm. Does this seem realistic, it's pretty much the pattern our previous old chow had. Have any of you experienced similar behaviours and does it get better?
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Young Chow, new UK owner seeking reassurance/advice

Post by CoraP. »

I remember it was quite an adjustment getting used to a young dog again after our dear almost 14 year old Bear had to be pts. He was also a mix, but very much like the chows in temperament. Your fellow sounds like he needs a lot of love and patience, and then I think he'll come around. I think you may have to use baby gates and/or the crate when you are gone until he gets the idea of using the outdoors for his toilet. When we first got Molly (from a rescue), she had a urinary tract infection and was going all the time in the house. Has he been to the vet to rule out health problems? We also used a crate for Molly at first when we were gone during the day, but don't use it anymore because she is used to things and is fine while we're gone. We also used a crate in our bedroom at night, too, which we don't use anymore either. She now sleeps on the floor beside our bed. I think your chow may be lonely and want to be with you. We had Molly in her crate downstairs at first, but she made it known she didn't like being separated from everyone else, so, we put her crate in our bedroom. I wish you luck with the fellow, I think it is wonderful that you wanted a rescue. I only wish we had the problem of having so few to pick from here in the U.S.! They seem to be everywhere, unfortunately! With understanding and patience, I'm sure things will soon improve! Good luck.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
VioletD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VioletD »

Hi,
I've also just rescued an abandoned chow...female...probably the same age as yours. I have had her for 3 1/2 weeks and she is still not letting anyone pet her except for me. She has almost the same potty issues as yours does, however, she does not wet in the house. My feeding schedule with her is once at 5:50 a.m. and then a walk at 6:30 with me for at least 10 minutes and then another with my husband at about 7:15. I feed her again at 4:30 and walk her about 5:15 and then again at 6:30. My husband does the last walk of the night about 9:30 or 10:00. Many days when I come home from work there are a few surprises for me. When Koko does go outside she seems very much afraid that she will be hit and won't even let me pet her after she does her business. I throw her a treat in the hopes that she will associate treats with the "outdoor toilet" she just used. So far it's not working. She is great at night and sleeps at the end of our bed...doesn't enjoy being left alone...maybe because she was abandoned?? Since I work in a school I will be off for 12 1/2 days beginning the 23rd so I hope to make a concentrated effort into housebreaking her. If this doesn't work I will have to go with a crate during the day...it would really be a shame because she is a model houseguest in that she has touched NOTHING...not even the Christmas tree or any of its ornaments. I'm sure your dog's toilet issues and Koko's have much to do with what happened to them in the the past. I am hoping with time, love, and consistency they will become great pets. I also had a chow mix I had to pts in March. She was the love of the household...wonderful with everyone!!! My son runs a piano studio from our house and she greeted each student, child and adult, before his/her lesson. We said we should have named her Mozart because she has heard more piano music than anyone else we knew. Needless to say there were many tears when my son had to tell them all that Mocha was no longer here. But Koko (the name her former owners chose...too much like Mocha but she knows it so we kept it!!) is her own chow and she deserves a chance to become just as wonderful as her predecessor was. Mocha was also a rescue and came with her own issues...afraid of me, scared of things like ceiling fans, bubble-gum chewing, unfriendly with strangers. I'm glad we didn't give up on her!!

I'm glad Cora suggested I read your post...maybe we can cheer each other on in our endeavors!! Good luck!!!
Violet
Koko was also awful on a leash but I got her a harness and it is like walking a new dog. She still won't win any prizes but she is 100% better and I only need to kind of jiggle the leash and she looks at me and "usually" does what I want her to!
mommashows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mommashows »

I think your schedule is fine. I would use the baby gate for now. This is a new environment for your dog and it takes time for him to learn the rules.

That is the key, the rules. You need to set out clear rules for the dog. Do not leave him unsupervised at all until the potty training is under control. Remember you are the pack leader and he is looking to you for leadership.

Do not make any fuss when leaving or returning home to assist with separation anxiety. Put up the gate 5-10 minutes before you leave and do something quietly and then just leave. I do always say "wait here, I'll be back" to my dogs when I leave. But that is it.

I do recommend Cesar Millan's book, "A Member of the Family". Millan is a firm believer in providing and being the leader for your dog. This book is great for new owners and experienced as well.

Stay positive and consistent. It can take a bit of time for you and your new dog to get comfortable with each other.

Please keep us posted.

Carol from Canada
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Welcome and congratulations on your new chow! 8)

What's his name?

My chow Coco is nearly the same age as yours, but I got her as a puppy so we don't have the same issues.

For the time being, I would put something on your wooden door to protect it because it might take him some time to understand you will always come back when you leave, and to feel comfortable in his home.
He probably doesn't consider it as his home yet, and that's why he's doing his business inside as well.
Also now that I think about it, because he spent some time in that rescue center, he's probably used to pee where he sleeps.
I think you have to do a potty training with him like you would do for a little puppy. Tell him "NO" when he's doing it inside, take him outside straight away, and praise a lot when he does his business outside your home.
When you're away and until he's potty trained, I would confine him in one room only, like the kitchen. Maybe leave some toy with him to keep him busy and avoid destructive behavior.
When you're at home, I would keep him in the same room as you because he obviously cannot be trusted on his own yet, and it will help you bond together as well...

I wouldn't allow him on furnitures, bed or sofa, as he needs to understand they are for the humans in the house, and you say he's already showing some dominance traits over that. You need to be consistant, and if you say "no" to something then it has to be "no" everyday or you will not get his respect...

I am not a crate user, but if he continues to bark alone at night, maybe putting him in a crate in your bedroom at night is an idea to consider?

Chows are really intelligents and once he understand the rules in your home, his new home, I'm 100% sure you'll get a fantastic companion! He just needs some time... :D
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Congratulations on your newest Chow!

One of the things my trainer told me was to remove the human from my chow and start the thinking process again. Whether an older chow or a pup the training should be the same. An example would be when you give access to your house I would give one room only. Animals don't like to defecate in their own area so pretty soon you should be able to give the chow access to a second adjoining room. This can take a few months until the chow has full access to the whole house. If they defecate in new gained access you pull back the limits again and keep trying.

I would recommend crate training for night and daytime naps. Maddoxx does all important things in his crate. His food is served in his crate (door open), treats are given in his crate (door open) I have his favorite chew toy tied to the inside of the crate (he can only use it inside the crate) At night I close his door and leave him with his favorite plush dragon. He has associated the crate as his place and when doing his rounds of the house will check to make sure his crate is ok as well. One important point for crating is to make sure the crate is all covered with a blanket except the door, and the door should be placed away from the main activity. This is a calm place and Maddoxx doesn't need to watch us while in his crate, while he is in his crate he gets to turn off the guard side so I have the door towards the far wall of the dinning room which is only used when we eat. He is not anxious at all when we leave the house for a few hours, and night time is a breeze. A tip about bed time. Put your chow to bed (cage) 30 minutes before you go to sleep so he continues to hear that everyone is ok and everything is normal, putting him to bed and everything goes quiet at the same time spooks puppies, I found this tip awesome and made night time so easy.

As far as the rest of training goes you have to look at the different methods and decide which is going to work for you and for your chow: Treats / Repetition / Alpha Training.

Maddoxx's schedule looks like this: 6AM wake up and breakfast (1/2 daily food) 6:30AM 20 min walk - 5PM Dinner(1/2 daily food) 7PM Long walk 1 Hour - 10:30 Bed time 11PM I got to bed. Lost of bathroom breaks in between those times.
maximusfurricus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maximusfurricus »

Thanks everyone for the advice and support, I think the biggest problem is having to suddenly deal with behaviours that simply never occurred with our last dog, it's going to take a while to adjust. Plus the reality of dog ownership after a length of time with no dog responsibilities, - really got out of the habit. I'm being consistent with him regarding the bed and furniture ( humans only) and have seen lots of 'Dog whisperer' episodes. Sometimes I think it's amazing what Cesar can do but I'm also aware there are various schools of thought/opinions on how effective Cesar Milans technique is or not, so will probably play it by ear but ensure I'm the one in charge, and I'm also aware that Chow's can be different in the way they react to training (super stubborn). Our last Chow was very much 'do it if it suits me' but never aggressive or dominant with us, although in his old age he did start to get a bit snappy with strangers, possibly due to the discomfort he would have been in (arthritis). The new guy is a beautiful example of the breed, we've called him Teddy (somehow I expect he isn't the first Chow to be called this).

Violet I hope Koko improves soon, I'm sure the issues you are having will be temporary, she sounds like a lovely Chow.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I just wanted to throw my two cents in. Last December I adopted a 3 month old Chow mix puppy after not having had a puppy for many years. She peed all over the house and chewed anything and everything up (she was still chewing up until a couple of weeks ago). We tried keeping her confined to one room and that worked out ok up until a point. Then we tried crate training her and that has done wonders. She is becoming a well behaved little girl now after the crate training. The last few weeks we have been "testing" her by allowing her out of the crate during the day while we're at work and so far no destruction.

Fast forward to almost 2 weeks ago and I now have an approximately 1.5 year old Chow mix foster. She has been a fairly well behaved girl, however, we did have some potty training issues the first week or so. We tried keeping her confined to one room but she broke through the baby gate. She is now crated during the day (the 2 main reasons are because I wanted to make sure the other 2 got along with her and she is also in heat and bleeding) and we haven't had anymore accidents. Her crate training has worked out really well because we put the crate in the bedroom. When we go to bed, she goes to bed. When she was in the laundry room she barked and cried all night long. When she's in the crate - not a peep is made. I think it's because she wanted to be with us. I think that's probably what's going on with your boy, too.

So, all in all, I do recommend baby gates to keep him out of most rooms during the day until he can be trusted and I do recommend crate training to prevent more destruction to your house. I have found the key to my crate training success to be lots and lots of treats and praise. Hannah (the adopted puppy last year) will walk right into her crate if I tell her "go to your room" and Holly (foster girl) will go into the crate without much fuss now, too. Either one always gets special treats when they go in so they know it's not a punishment.

Good luck!
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

From what I read the only time your having a problem is when you leave so crate training won't help and I wouldn't put him in a cage if your leaving the house. If you do use a crate at night when your home he might settle down if he is in the bedroom with you. It sounds like he gets bored when your gone, try leaving a TV or radio on when you leave, it doesn't have to be loud just some noise to break up the boredom. When I leave the house I always put cartoons on for my Chow she seems to have a liking for sponge Bob plus its a familiar voice. Get him a few toys and have them laying around He knows they are his even if he plays with them or not.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage