Excessive Barking

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Excessive Barking

Post by aware »

Rocco has always been a true guard dog. He pretty much goes crazy when someone knocks on the door or rings the door-bell (and also at the little annoying dog next door that eggs him on, anther issue for another time). Usually I was able to hold him back and answer the door. Now that we have Jewels its difficult. Since she is a rescue there is a huge worry that she will get out and will never be seen again.

Rocco was our first Chow, other than my husbands childhood experience, so he is not as well trained as we would like him to be (defiantly our fault). We have made our mistakes with him and are trying to work on his behavior now that we know better. He behaves wonderfully most of the time (other than the door issue). He knows sit, high-five, and lay-down and we are working on stay. And like most chows he is slow to trust others.

Recently our friends with a weimaraner have hired a trainer and were given a sign to put on their door that says something like "Pleas be patient, our dog is in training." Which got me thinking about ways to train the chowkids how to behave when I need to answer the door.

With a similar sign on the door, I am thinking that gating them in the hallway while I answer the door may be the best option because Rocco is pretty aggressive and it might also give timid Jewels a sense of security. They would still be able to see the door. Rocco will go nuts though. So I might start with friends.

I have read in the "how to" training section and the some of the posts that say not to yell and to ignore their bad behavior. Does that really work?

Any other suggestions for stopping/correcting his excessive barking? We don't mind a couple of warning barks but I would like to be able get him under control (and I am guessing that ignoring him will not work so well... :) )
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Excessive Barking

Post by Jeff&Peks »

How are you reacting when someone comes to the door Chows will pick up on your reaction, if you get overly excited trying to calm him down becouse he starts barking he see's it as your reacting to the person at the door so will bark even more. If the someone comes to my door Pekoe goes nuts also and starts barking but i calmly just say its OK Peks and walk to the door she backs of and just follows me. If a Chow knows your ok with it they will be ok with it they react you. "it's OK" is the magic word with Pekoe she will quiet down and back off no matter what the situation as long as she knows i'm ok with it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

have you ever watched "it's me or the dog" on tv? There was one episode that perfectly describes your scenario. The woman had 2 dogs (well they were yorkies but other than that, it's similar). And they would FREAK out when someone came to the door.

The trainer was able to completely control them by having people she knew ring the doorbell once and then wait patiently until the door was opened, no additional ringing or knocking. After they barked their warning barks, she made them each sit, and stay and gave them a treat. Then she opened the door and gave them an additional treat. After 3 times in a row, they got the hang of it. The hardest part was the initial stay. She said it was fine to correct them as many times as needed but not to open the door unless they were both sitting quietly. I have no idea what the episode's title was or anything but maybe you could google it, I've never tried. You might have to build up stay before you can do sit quietly and stay to open the door but he should learn it quickly with consistency. Just start out stay for 5 seconds, then once he gets the hang of it, try 10, etc. That's what our trainer had us doing in Mckenzie's training class a few weeks ago. We also use a hand signal for each command because she seems to respond to those better than words. So I do the stop hand signal (like a crossing guard, hold your hand straight up but make sure it looks different from the dog's point of view than down - hand straight but palm down instead of facing out like for stop).

If you could get your hand on that episode, I'm sure it would really help you. I'll see if I can find it in the meantime.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I saw that episode and really want to give it a try. But I can't find anybody to come ring my doorbell. The people who volunteer aren't the one's i need because he doesn't bark at them. But I love her show "it's me or the dog" I think her training is right on the nose!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

I can say "its O.K." but it doesn't help. It can be our best friends coming over for the 100th time and he only calms down when he can approach them and figure out they are ok. The only people "allowed" in our house to his standards are my parents and the couple who have the weimaraner. We have always just said that he is a chow and it takes time to earn his trust.

We just need a way to be able to open the door when anyone comes by, with out him (and the people at the door) freaking out... I am sure it will take a lot of time :)

I try to be calm and composed when the door bell rings or someone knocks but he doesn't seem to pick up on my calmness :?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't know how bad the barking is but trying to get a guard dog to stop barking everytime someone comes to the door especially not to bark when the door bell rings and greet all strangers with a lick is like someone hitting their kid to stop it from crying it doesn't make sense. Chows will always bark at the door you just need to let the know its not a home invasion.

Mother-inlaws and family members knocking at the door I consider a home invasion so I would expect Pekoe to bark, she knows trouble when she see's it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I am teaching Mia and Chutty what Jeff says - to tell them "good" for letting me know that someone is at the door and "Ok - it's OK Mia.
It's acknowledging that they have let you know someone is at the door, and it's ok for them to back off, because you will handle it.

Were are still a work in process - but it is working.
Mia
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The problem isn't the marking words you use when you are trying to get good results at the door. It is when you are using the word that will confuse the animal, and in turn it continues doing exactly what you don't want. If you say "it's okay" as they are going ballistic, you are telling them the behavior is okay, not the visitor.

I agree, I love Victoria. She cracks some hard cases, and shows the weekly family how to communicate what they want their pets to do, while explaining how the animal percieves the given situation. It is like watching a training class in the field.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

12 years of its OK I haven't seen any confusion yet and its worked on 4 other Chows. it works in my house but if treat training is what one wants thats fine also, some Chow love treats and vets love you for it. Pekoe doesn't like treats so treats wouldn't get me anywhere. Alot of Chows don't like treats that much but if you kept a bucket of KFC by the front door and threw them a chicken leg every time the door bell tang that would probably work and keep them quiet.

If "Its Ok" is confusing what does "Heal" do to them do they run and get your shoes when you say Heal.

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Auddymay,

I understand what you are saying - I actaully am ok with her barking when someone is close or walking by the house - she feels it's her job and I hate to take that away from her. In the beginning, I would go to her, say good girl for giving me a bark (because I really don't think that I could stop her from barking - it's her way of communicating and I don't want to take that away from her.) After, I tell her good girl, I would say, "Ok, I see it." I guess it worked for us, because that was all she wanted. She wanted to tell me something. Once I acknowledge that I am aware and I will take care of it, her job is done and she's happy. If she ke'eps barking, I reiterate, "It's ok Mia, hush", and she hushes.

So, you are probably right - saying it's "OK" or "Good" and that's it, is just telling them that's ok.

I actually took it a step further so that I could communicate with her. For us, it just reinforces that I appreciate her doing her job and that after she warns me, I will take over from there. That way she feels like she is helping me and then that I will take care of her. Now, I don't have to go to the window to see what she is warning me about, now, I can just say "OK" and she stops, knowing that I have gotten the message.

My smart girl! I think that it's important for Mia to be able to communicate with me and "guarding" is either inborn in her or at least gives her a job that makes her feel important. And, I love that.
Mia
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Sorry, I was so excited about how well Mia and I are doing - I forgot the original part of the post - so I need to ammend.
When someone is actually coming into the house, Mia and Chutters rush for the door barking - that part we don't quite have down. I was thinking just about barking when people go by. Coming into the house - different matter.
We are practicing sitting and getting a treat to stay quiet and wait for people to come in. It's taking some time, but we are doing better and better.

Sorry, I ran off in a different direction with the thread. (Losing it, LOL!)
Mia
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I also use "It's OK" for Holden. Then I always tell him "Good Boy" after he stops barking. It's not 100% with him, though, because he does not like strangers coming into the house at all. He'll bark at them for a minute before he decides they aren't going to rape and kill me and then he goes over to cautiously sniff them out. Then it takes him even longer to allow them to move about freely without him watching their every move. He really doesn't like repair men.
ImageImageImage
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

I have found a few tidbits of the show "Its me or the dog!" and have really liked it other than the title. We have always watched "The Dog Whisperer" and have pulled few good tips from it, we aren't big fans of Caesar. But I really like Victoria (thats her name right?). We will be looking for the show on Animal Planet.

Rocco barks at the slightest noise out side sometimes so I have started using the "it's okay" command whenever he gives a warning bark. Then saying "good boy" when he stops huffing/barking. I am hoping this can be the start of getting his barking under control.

I don't mind that he barks I just want to be able to get him to stop when I am okay with the situation. Warning barks are okay but pushing guests into a corner (because he can smell their fear :D ) is not okay.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

This is a place you can watch VS if you have a good connection. The episode I linked to is one where she actually advises the owners to euth their dog...rare and could cause controversy around here, but I think it was the correct call. If you check the archives at that site, you will find one that deals with the issue of excessive barking.
bellestar3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bellestar3 »

I too am having a hard time with barking. My 10 month old chow/mix has gotten really bad. Whenever he hears the doorbell he runs over to the door and starts barking. I've worked with him on sitting and staying before I open the door, and that only seems to work during the day. If we ever have anything delivered, forget it. He won't come, sit, stay, no matter what kind of treat. The worst is at night when we're trying to sleep. He does these under his breath barks, and then periodically changes to regular barks. There's NOTHING there! No people, sounds, anything. I've tried telling him"good boy:" "it's okay;" "no bark;", but it doesn't help. I've tried even doing treats. But at 2:00 am, and again at 2:15, 2:20am, (you see what I mean), I don't want to get up and give treats. One trainer even suggested spraying him with a spray bottle everytime he barked after being told to stop. My boyfriend gets up at 5:30 in the morning, and spending every night trying to get Quinn to stop barking gets a little tedious. Does anyone have any problems with nighttime barking?