bite inhibition..

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

peidaan11
Rank 0
Rank 0

bite inhibition..

Post by peidaan11 »

so i have read the articles that say that you should ignore the biting and not play with the chow when he bites you. i'm not exactly sure why but there are times when bruin just wants to bite everything in sight including me. if i ignore him, he simply moves on to somethings else. sometimes, he'll chew on a bone and i'll just sit next to him. he stops chewing the bone and comes toward me and just tries to bite me. sometimes, i'm not facing him and he'll try to bite me in the shoulder or in the calve. i tell him no biting or i pull his leash to let him know that that is unacceptable. any other suggestions?
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: bite inhibition..

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Here's a thread that talks about that: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7447
I also talk about a number of other common issues and how to deal with them in there.

Victory also a bite inhibition thread that's the very first thread in the training section (it's got a sticky on it)

Good luck!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
peidaan11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by peidaan11 »

so i'm guessing that i should keep trying to trade him for whatever he's chewing on...

and there isn't anything to do if he tries to chew on me? i'm just supposed to praise him later on when he's chewing on a toy and being good. i think that's about it then. i think i'm losing my patience with him. the heat is getting to me too. i'm going to take a nap.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

when he's chewing on you, just stop interaction immediately. Just stand up, don't look at him, fold your arms across your chest and don't say one word to him. Wait a few seconds and then you can play with him again. Each time he munches on you, stop the interaction just like that. Good luck!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea