What about Bama's Place 4 ChowFest??

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

What about Bama's Place 4 ChowFest??

Post by bama »

Ok guys, since I've never been to a ChowFest, I don't know what is needed. I think we could host a ChowFest at our house, but I'm not sure if we have all of what is needed?
I'll do my best here to give you a glimpse at what's available here at my home in B'Ham, Alabama.

This a view out of our living room windows. It's a small river that is really the size of a creek.

Here is a look at part of the field. The grass could be mowed and very "park-like".

Here's a view from a different window.

Maybe, I should just outside and take some photo for the purpose of giving you guys a feel for the place and see if it is suitable for a chowfest.
There are some areas that are actually dangerous and I have concern that a furkid could fall, because a fence can not be built around these boulders.
Give me some feedback, if you think you may be interested in having a chowfest here in B'ham at my place.
If there is enough interest, I'll discuss it with hubby and see what it takes, ok?
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I bet the kids would love it if you did not mow or maybe not. I would say maybe keeping leashes on for a rule if you have one there just to be safe that way no one gets hurt. I have to say you have lovely property. Really very beautiful.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
chris

Post by chris »

Cut it out Bama... you are just trying to make us Jelous... and it's working... :lol:
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'd come just to see your lovely flowers & amazing views! I reckon that we could deal with the safety issues with leashes :?:
Thank you Elodie!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I talked to DH-Mark and he said he was ok with having a day for chowfest.
So, this is looking promising!

Red, I agree we need to have a leash policy,
however I have lots of trees where chowkids can be temporarily attached on lines if need be?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
chris

Post by chris »

bama wrote:I talked to DH-Mark and he said he was ok with having a day for chowfest.
So, this is looking promising!

Red, I agree we need to have a leash policy,
however I have lots of trees where chowkids can be temporarily attached on lines if need be?
Hey bamma... what if you get that temperary fencing... Maybe you don't have it down there.. but we have this orange plastic fencing that you put up to stop drifting snow... and to keep the snowmobielers out of your yard. You could tack it around an area from tree to tree... then they dogs have a place to go without being on lead. :D
chris

Post by chris »

I just thought of something.. We are going to alaBAMA... :lol: "BAM"... lol.. sorry I just can't help myself sometimes.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Chris,
Thanks for coming up with that...that is creative.
We have the same kind of fencing, I think, or something similiar to it around here. What we have is awfully short, and flimsy. Also, one would need pretty level ground otherwise there are valleys underneath.
Does that make sense?
It's used for erosion control. We don't have snowmobilers, cause we don't have snow. Yeah!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Our first Chowfest was held in a park that had the "dog park" area but none of us did the dog park thing. All of our Chows remained on leash. We let our Chowdren explore each other but they weren't off leash. So perhaps it's something you can consider. Chowfun Day was held at Cindy and Kodi's home so we were able to let them off leash because Cindy's place is enclosed. Bama's area is open so you will probably need to keep them leashed or at least tethered. We did tether our Chowdren for the Ladies Day at the Beach event and that worked, too (except for Ms. Shiloh that backed out of her harness).
If you can do a Chowfest at Bama's I'm sure you can work out the logistics...eh oh! go for it!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

BAMA HOW AWSOME!!!!
A 7 hr drive from down here VERY DO-ABLE!!!
Hey I'm game for a group walk, your place is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Willing to help with anything you need........
My husband is a welder what about something you can stake in the ground and attach a long lead instead of a leach, which would give a little more freedom but still be safe???
Easier than fencing.......just a thought???A leach is fine though Kearra doesn't care as long as she GETS TO GO :lol:
Let me know how we can help.......my husband just said, LOOKS LIKE FUN!!! :lol:
LuLu33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Is there a 400 miles rule...LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Post by LuLu33 »

I wanna come!!!! I've been known to drive long and far for the sake of a chow and ALABAMA here we come!!!! I spent two months in Dothan doing an audit in 1990, I loved Alabama!
chris

Post by chris »

Darnit.. you are 11 1/2 hours away from me. :(
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

C'mon Christ you can do it. All night long... Oops got confused started thinking I was in an adam sandler movie.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is there a 400 miles rule...LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Post by bama »

LuLu33 wrote:I wanna come!!!! I've been known to drive long and far for the sake of a chow and ALABAMA here we come!!!! I spent two months in Dothan doing an audit in 1990, I loved Alabama!
Lori,

Did you perhaps get a look at the dog park at Auburn University's School Of Veternary?
I've heard it is fabulous!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I'm curious as to how many of you would seriously come to B'ham for a chowfest?

Also, can someone give me a run down of what a chow fest day might look like? Activities and such?
I have no idea how to prepare at this point, except put out a large trash can! :lol:
I have about 10 plastic lawn chairs! :lol:
I think we'd need a bit more than that! :shock:
Looking for ideas...

One other thing...B'ham has a huge dog celebration called
Doo Dah Day. Pet's walk in a parade in costumes. If it wasn't held in August, (hot and humid) I think it would be fun to incorporate that event with our chow fest.
Which brings to mind, fall here in B'Ham is pretty warm.
I do have heavy shade under some trees.
Oh yeah, what if it rains? It's just an open field and a nice large stand of shade trees.
What about food and drinks. Does everyone bring a picnic basket of goodies?
What about toilet? The house is too far from the field.
There are a few challenges, hopefully all you brilliant people will figure this out! :lol:

Funny....Colonel is barking right now in his sleep!! :lol:
I've never heard him do that! So cute! :lol:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

My husband Keith, Kearra and I would love to get away and would come. We would also be glad to come ahead and help you and Mark get everything ready. My husband owns his own business so work isn't an issue.
We have alot of lg party's around here due to a lg family and pool so our house is the gathering place for everything.
Do you have a Dog Friendly motel close by????
We have 2 6ft tables that are light and fold up as well as,as many extra chairs you may need.
We have a lg ice chest we can fill with ice and drinks.
What about just a couple trays of sandwiches and everybody chip in, bring some chips and all done?????Make it easy on your self and Mark???Just a thought......
Don't know about the potty thing??? What do people do when campin'???Have a girl urinal for the car and boat, works really good I might add :lol: :lol: Hurricane Season, I'm a nurse what can I say :lol: :lol:You have trees, a nail, a toilet paper roll, Keith and Mark could figure out how to do a privacy tarp, sheet something.....???A five gallon bucket?? Your in business, we do that on the floats for Mardi Gras............ :lol:
Really don't want you and Mark to go to alot of trouble, but this could be GREAT FUN, and besides with all the Chows around maybe I can talk Keith into ANOTHER.......
I wonder why dog people would want to do their celebration in Aug???I know your weather is very close to the same as down here???? I wonder how the Chows would handle the heat????That would be my only concern about Aug???
We could bring a couple of those 2 liter water disp. for the dogs and put alot of ice in it, I do that in the summmer???Make it early morning around 10, before it gets really hot???Rain???? We could bring a couple heavy blue tarps and put them up {JUST IN CASE}????
OK those are my thoughts for the day :lol: :lol:
Just Thoughts?????What do ya think????
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oooooooh sounds so great!! We want to come, we want to come!! Seriously, we'd love to go.

Your place looks so amazing! I like the leash idea because that will give them a chance to get to know each other without worry (I think Lou might have mentioned that already in "how to plan a chowfest" post). I always prefer to have Special meet pups on leash, just because you never know (although nothing bad has ever happened, except when Special was attacked by that little dog, I'm super paranoid when it comes to him! :roll: ).

I would definetly bring treats and human goodies. Keep us posted. Hugs to the Colonel and Princess Buttercup.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I am good with leash anyway because even though Ivana loves all dogs she is leary of new people. It takes her awhile to okay with people she does not meet in her home. We are still resocilzing. If we have Ziyear it would be good because it would run away!! or jump on every dog to play even if they don't want to!! But I am really looking forward to it. Anything I can do to help I would be in. Can I get your Zip code so I can look up hotels?
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bearsmom »

Well I can't come and me no have chow again YET...but I'm so glad to see this happening...I haven't been here that long and was imagining when/if I got one I was looking at, that it would be fun to reunite with the dog that came into the rescue place with him...

...just so all you suthurners know...I've got blowing snow outside AGAIN and more on the way...ugh...I am SO ready for summer...

Bama...that place of yours is really gorgeous. I'm afraid my idea of Alabama is all tons of vines all over the trees and impossible rivers one can't swim in because of the moccasins...your place looks like Vermont!!! Or New Hampshire...

So is this one going to be called "ChowBam"?

By the way Bama...hold it and they will come...it can always be a "potluck" BYO everything...you provide the place...
precious's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by precious's mom »

Cannot believe that I had missed this thread somehow. OF course I would be there with the girls!!! Name the time and we are there!!! Bama, anything that I could do to help you out, please let me know - since I live so close to you. Did we talk about a particular day yet? I'll read back through the thread to be sure I did not miss that somehow.
Missi

created by the AMAZINGLY TALENTED sweetpea
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I'm so glad you guys are willing to pitch in, because honestly I don't always get around that well, so I have to admit that is on my mind.
I think the, "bring your own" idea would take a lot off of me. I just have to figure out what the potty arrangements would be. Yep, we do have lots of woods, and trees and bushes, nails! :lol: :lol: Heck, I'll even buy the organin toilet paper!! :lol: :lol:
There is a gas station 2 minutes away.
There is everything 2 minutes away, including
3 hotels, Wendy's, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Cracker Barrel, and Applebees.
Three minutes away...Wal-mart, Chick Fila', PetsMart, Kohl's, Arbys, and a whole host of "getter done" places.

Pm me, if you would like my zip code for Map Quest or hotels.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Days Inn Birmingham Airport

Days Inn Birmingham Airport
5101 Airport Hwy
Birmingham,
Alabama 35212
205-592-6110
800-DAYS-INN
Map

Dogs of all sizes are allowed. There is a $25 one time per pet fee per visit.

I found this on the internet. It is 20 minutes from Airport to Bama's field.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

So Bama, you need to pick a day???? :lol: :lol: Or at least a month :lol:
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Ohhhh! I just saw this thread. Bama what a great place you have for a Chowfest.

I am a little bit closer than Chris--only 9 1/2 hours in the car :lol: . Sophie is a restless rider so that might be a bit to long. During a 15 minute car ride she changes seats so often it makes me tired.

If this happens, we all will need lots of pictures posted of the festivities.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

vicster605 wrote:So Bama, you need to pick a day???? :lol: :lol: Or at least a month :lol:
Vicster,
If I can figure out toilet details, we may be on.
I need a head count of interested parties so that I have a rough idea.
I'm looking at a Saturday in September or October '07. It's still warm here in September, plus it's our dryest month. I have to check with Mark, but it can not be during an Alabama Home football game! BIG FANS HERE!!! Roll Tide!!
I need to start a thread simply asking who is seriously interested in coming to bama for a chowfest?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.