Spartacus our new puppy

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Spartacus our new puppy

Post by 612guy »

Just got him last weekend, 38lbs at 3 1/2 months. Had to puppy proof our house during potty training but things are going well. He is growing on Brutus each day.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Spartacus our new puppy

Post by Cindy J »

Oh My Goodness, Spartacus is a DOLL! He is a stout little guy. I love his stance. What do the crew think of him?
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Thanks Cindy, we are enjoying him and all his energy.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

OK, so honestly 612, you need to keep him out of NE. No way I want to show against him. Fantastic looking dog. As long as you get entries, you will have no problems finishing that pup.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Thanks Rory's Dad, such kind words. We are in no hurry to finish him but can hardly wait to start. We are planning to go to a show next month so Brutus can start to earn his GCH title. Spartacus won't be entered because he will be too young but can work on being socialized. Hopefully the weather will be nice.

Spartacus is from the Mi-Pao's Kennel of Canada and are honored they allowed us to have such a wonderful chow boy.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think you will enjoy the GCH competitions. They are fairly stress free. We are finding getting the competition wins and majors a struggle, but since we show against Billy every time, that is expected.

I think Rory has about 20 straight "Select" results. Some with points, some not, but since we are doing the GCH in conjunction with Toby's campaign, we don't care a ton. Billy is going to retire when he reaches Platinum level GCH, and we hope to have Toby with his CH before then. So, I guess the plan then will be to have Rory and Toby competing for the BOB's and GCH points. After Billy, they are the only 2 males showing regularly in our area. Toby took Best of Winners today for a 3 point major, so he is just one major away now.

As an additional thought, I entered Rory in the Owner Handler series today for the 1st time. It's a no additional fee class, and by going select (but BOB in OH) he got 5 pts. I wasn't sure how it worked so we skipped groups (separate from regular classes), but even a group 4 is like 10 more pts. Cathy Clapp leads the Chow OH, but the rankings are Oct - Oct and based on just this 1 show we are in the top 20. Even if you only do the regular breed showing you could climb pretty quick, if you hang out to do the group shows, really quick. It's not offered for every show, but if I can figure out how to get both dogs through with owner handle (I own all my dogs with my wife co-owner on Toby and my daughter on Rory) I would enter both that way next time. Toby is OK with someone else on the other end of the lead once inspection is done, Rory will not work for anyone but me or his old handler.

Hope you don't mind, but I shared the news of your new pup with Tony. Nothing but good things to say about the breeder. Surprised you didn't go for a bitch, but very pleased to see a Mi dog in a show home in the US.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Great news on Toby, but you know me and I already saw he got Best Of Winners for 3 points. I was wondering if the shows might of been cancelled or people didn't show up because of the storm. Glad neither happened and it shouldn't be long now before he's finished. Good luck tomorrow with Toby and the Pats.

As far as OH, it's new to me. Brutus's first time was at our last show and he got a group 3. I had no idea on the points before hand but got 5 points for breed and 15 for the group 3. Cindy and I are ranked tied for 8th right now with some other people. Pretty cool to see my name in rankings for the first time in dog showing.

I didn't mind you sharing with Tony about Spartacus, he's your good friend and I would think it weird if you didn't. It's surprises me that there aren't many Mi dogs in the US showing giving how long they have been around and how much success they have had. But seeing their dogs in person and pictures was what sold me. I'm just really glad I have one.

Brutus
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

There is NOTHING in this world more adorable than a Chow Chow puppy. That includes real live human babies approved for tv commercials. Chow babies got them beat.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

612, we didn't get a ton of snow here. It was mostly south of us. We showed Sat at 8:30am, so we were out of the house at 6am planning on doing some last minute touch ups before ring. But that venue is really tight. Rory looked great out of the groomer, and Toby finally finished blowing his puppy coat, so we never even set up the table. Funny, but Tony actually had problems with his girls. Billy was fine, but he had one bitch that was completely nuts and another that was limping. Surprised (and thankful) that neither got dismissed. Rory was in his zone, and Toby showed pretty nice for a change. He can be a bit odd on 1st day shows, way better 2nd day, but we skipped 2nd day due to Pats playoff game and lack of a Major.

As for Mi, I got a bit of info from Tony. I don't think the litters are an issue. But as you know, the import rules have really changed the game. Tony said he actually dealt with him for a potential breeding, but his contracts were way off the scale. High fees, no guarantee on pups, future limitations, etc.

So, if you and Cindy are tied for 8th, and I am going to enter the rankings at 20 or so, should be a lock on the top 5 or so for OH. I got to get Toby into OH as well if I can figure it out. Then we can all be listed. Should be a fun year.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Yes, the import rules have changed but it's still possible for the average person to import a puppy after 8 weeks and before 4 months. You just need to get approval from the CDC and get a confinement agreement. We would of gotten him earlier if we knew but he still arrived 3 weeks before the 4 months. It doesn't matter if they are imported by car or plane either. I don't think breeders are allowed to do this, only for people that the dog is going to be a pet.
Our confinement ends this Saturday which is 30 days after his rabies shot. We are extremely happy we got him 3 weeks early so we could bond with him. If you would like to know how we did it and the process just email me.

It would be cool if all of us were ranked in OH, but a you know not every show has them. Some areas in the country there are more and others less. Most shows are one day and some both. It good practice but can a little much on the dog going in the ring three times in a day. Brutus seemed a little tired in groups after just getting out of OH groups. But I'm sure glad we did it.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I was thinking the same thing with Rory going in for OH groups, but we needed to get out of the venue after breed anyway. Toby might be different, but we'll see. Looking for something next month, just don't know what/where yet.

LOL, but no way I am importing a dog right now. We are full up at 3, and trying to arrange some breedings. We have an offer from Russia for Toby and I don't even want to know the detail on how that happens, deferring back to Tony. I think Rory will be more traditional, just trying to find the right match. With Amber out of the equation for any breeding, we want to make sure its a good fit.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Just a thought.... If we all qualify in Owner Handler are we going to finally meet up in Uekanuba? :mrgreen:

Congrats to all in the show ring. We will be hitting limited shows for a while because we are trying to buy a property with a few acres. Living in town with three large dogs gets a bit crowded. (and I still want a female chow to begin showing in the near future) ....... have not convinced my better half quite yet. But, he is coming around.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I don't know if Euk is the place, but we should definitely try to meet up for a show this year.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

I'm out for Euk until I retire since that's our busy season and no vacation can be used. It's nice out these days in Minnesota so we were able to be out last weekend.

Last edited by 612guy on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Wow, is that Spartacus? Of course I know it is. He looks great.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

He is more gorgeous every day!

We are not travelling much for shows this year as we are trying to by a place with more land. Maybe next year?????
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Checking in for updated photos???????? Come on. I need my fix!
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Spartacus is growing fast, 50 pounds and just turned 5 months last weekend.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

He still looks amazing! Are you jumping right in the ring with him?
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Cindy, yes we plan on showing him but slowly. His first show will be on the last day before he will be 6 months old. It will be in a Four-to-Six Month Puppy competition and is less then 3 weeks. After that it will be local shows with Brutus as the only other chow until we think he's ready. Brutus still is the top dog and I don't see that changing for some time because he looks great. It's weird that Spartacus is the size of most full grown chows but just lost his puppy teeth.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

He really does look great. I am looking forward to hearing how he does. 50 lbs? Wow!!! He doesn't look fat, just solid. Do you think he is going to be a big boy? I love his profile shot.

Chance is holding steady at 72lbs.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

His dad is over 80 and mom was big too. The cream brother the breeder kept is also 50lbs now too. He's not over weigh and moves great. Here is a picture of his dad......

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

His dad is impressive! I am not usually into the blacks, but would make an exception for a boy (or girl) like that.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep, I think he is going to be a solid dog. Keep the photos coming 612. I love the black Chows. A friend of mine just had a pup come back to him that is Toby's nephew and I almost took him. I just really don't have the space for 4 dogs. Wish I did.

Still trying to figure OH and how I can do that with both dogs. Toby finished his CH a few weeks back, so now I have both Rory and Toby going for GCH pts against each other. Tough problem to have (LOL) if I can just figure out how to handle them both in ring.
Baloo_Pink
Rank 0
Rank 0

puppy too adult

Post by Baloo_Pink »

Hi I was interested if People have photos of their chows as puppy's and growing up so at 6 months a year etc interested in seeing how different they all grow. Thanks x