Spartacus our new puppy

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Spartacus our new puppy

Post by 612guy »

Just an update, sorry no pictures. Not much has change except he is 60lbs now at 6 1/2 months old. We did skip the puppy match because we wanted to get home from the Chow Chow Nationals. We would of had to travel to a different town, rent another hotel room and then would of missed Easter at home with the family. So his first show will be at end of May or first part of June.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I can't wait to hear how he does! But, I do understand the need to spend some family time at home. I am trying to convince my husband that romantic weekends can be accomplished around dog shows. He is a skeptic, but is coming along with me to a couple shows this year.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Too funny Cindy. I took that approach a couple years back. Was successful only once...we did a show in Upstate NY and managed to squeeze in a vineyard tour and a wine tasting. Stayed at a lovely boutique hotel that was themed after the "Its a Wonderful Life" movie. Even called the Hotel Clarence. Very nice actually, but it gets tough to find a romantic hotel that allows the dogs. It was easier when we handed off the 1 dog to a PH, but now that we are showing ourselves (with 2 or occasionally all 3 dogs), it's impossible. Now our trips are mostly within driving range, so we don't stay overnight. That's a plus on the expense side, and we do get to avoid Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn. We stayed at Homewood Suites for a while, and got great point rewards, but at $200 plus per night, wasn't always a great choice. We've put over 40K miles on the Yukon XL in just over 2 years, so we are paying in a different way now. Ahhh, the things we do for our Chows...lol.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

We just came home from our cabin and it was Spartacus's first trip up there. He really had a lot of fun.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Very nice, glad to hear he enjoyed the trip. He looks great. How are he and Brutus getting along?
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

They are getting along better and are allowed together when they are supervised. They both know I'm alpha dog and I won't tolerate any rough play. Maybe someday they will be allowed together all the time but if not we are ok with that. Our friend with 2 male chows waited 1 year before they did but we will just have to see. How has it went with your 2 boys?

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep, same here. They are never together unsupervised. They do great together when crated side by side on the way to shows and when on show collars. Rory will complain when Toby eats 1st, but the 'outside' order is OK. They don't really compete for Amber, which is good. Rory tends to want to be nurse-maid to her...she has finally cleared the eye infection, but now has Cherry Eye. Rory thinks if he licks her eye it will get better. Toby would rather wrestle with her. They also do well with each other if I am treat training.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

OMG I'd love to cuddle him! And nice name :)
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Well we finally made it to our first shows last weekend. On Sat. it was 95 degrees so we just brought Spartacus. Because of the heat we took him from the car to the ring and it wasn't pretty. He broke the lead right away so I grabbed him and found a way to use it to continue. At the ramp he didn't want to walk up it so I just lifted him on and he let the judge inspected him.

On Sunday we got there 3 hour early and set up camp. It was only about 82 and breezy so a much better day. Spartacus got to walk around ahead of time and was way better and even went up the ramp. My wife who has never handled before took Brutus in and won over Spartacus and me. Nothing in groups but took a 3rd place in NOHS for Brutus. We had a great time and are looking forward to our next shows

This is a picture from Sat. and he looks good except his front legs are too forward.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

He looks great. Is that a judge inspecting his bite? I thought they were all but done doing it themselves. Yes, his front is a bit forward, but I love that his tail is up and (mostly) drawn left. That is what the judge sees, so that is nice. He really is nice and square. The forward leg throws that off, so a bit of stacking is in order...lol. Try placing him at the forward edge of the ramp and them bump his butt forward so he doesn't have a choice.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Rory's Dad, I will diffidently try that next time. It was nice to have the picture so I could see that. I think a video would be even better for a training tool. I just can't wait for the next shows in a couple weeks. Wish us luck!!!

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You definitely have those wishes of good luck. Toby took his 1st GCH point today. Feedback from the judge, and it came down to Rory's crooked tooth for the Select decision. That has always been is fault, so I respect that as the deciding factor. Since it came down to a face off between my own two dogs I wasn't too concerned.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Congrats on Toby's GCH point. Always good to get feedback from the judges but easier to do when you win. Even easier if you have a win photo taken with the judge.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Feedback is great...most of the time. I only do Judge photos now when its a moment. Rory is only 6 pts shy for his GCH, so I will do one when that moment comes. Need to build 2 majors for him now, which is not easy for the males right now...seems like girls everywhere just no boys. I need 6 entries to get him a major if he finishes Select.

My last post was after Toby took Select, but I didn't get to detail how the day went...I had both dogs in BOB competition and my daughter was working, so I had none of my usual 'help'. I found a friend who owns Shar-Pei's agree to take Toby, but he had never walked with her, so he freaked. I was on Rory and couldn't ask for a handler change. Tony jumped in and asked and got Toby. He was able to settle him down and took him to Select for that 1st GCH point. We were delayed almost 2 hours on our ring time because a storm the night before took down the show tent. They had to drive in replacement poles from Long Island to get it back up.

On Sunday, I switched it up and asked my friend to handle Rory figuring he was easy. After 2 of Tony's Chows slipping the lead just before ring time, and a circus chase through the parking lot, my friend ended up holding one of Tony's dogs. I tried to hand off one my dogs to my wife, and she totally freaked. She has done a hand off for ring circle, but never for inspection. We got that straightened out with my friend back on Rory. The judge was Provisional, and called a time-out to check the standard with Toby on the ramp. She came back to me and told me that there was a problem with Toby and his ear was a DQ. I argued with her with Toby still on the ramp and told her that the fault was a folded ear with a break, and his ear does not touch the head. He has total muscle control over the ear and drops it when he is unsure of himself. She rechecked the ear and let him through, but I knew he wasn't going to get anything after we had that discussion in front of everyone. I was about 1 step short of requesting the AKC Rep, but Toby got applause from everyone as the order was announced.

So, not a bad weekend. Points every day, which is never a bad thing. Looks like we will try to build the majors with Billy, Rory, Toby, and Toby's father and brother. That gives us a pretty impressive line up for the next set of shows.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Rory's Dad ~ Sounds like a hectic event, but you pulled thru! What you described is exactly what I fear with two chows. I will seldom have help and will need to decide from time to time which dog will be shown in the BOB competition if it comes down to Chance and my future puppy in the ring together. We may have enough dogs for a major in Houston in two weeks. BUT...... Chance will have to take breed to get the major.

*side note* I may be getting my female puppy just before the Houston show!
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Rory's Dad, You are very lucky to have a friend like Tony. Sure don't think I would register 2 dogs if I didn't have someone else to show the other one ahead of time. I was glad to hear that Toby got select on Saturday and Rory is almost done with getting his GCH. But outdoor shows seem to always have problems especially with the heat or rain. I couldn't even imagine going to one in the south.

Cindy, it's been a while. Hope you are doing ok. Good luck at the shows in Houston. You two make a great team so I bet it will happen. I saw you and Chance are doing awesome in the NOHS. Hope to hear more news about the puppy after the shows too.

We are entered in shows next weekend in Duluth. Two class dogs and two specials each day, enough for a major for breed and 1 point for winners dog. Spartacus is 21 inches tall and 70lbs at 9 months old but still in his puppy coat. I looking forward to see what the judges think of him. A lot of work for maybe 2 minutes in the ring but call me crazy because I really enjoy it.

Brutus
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

BTW, after the show in Duluth on Saturday there is a wedding in/at the ring. Two show people(professional handlers) that I kind of know and have talk to them many times.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Lol, 612, I agree. I never would have entered them both. I thought I had my daughter to help out, but she got scheduled to work at the last minute. Nothing we could do about it then. I was set to pull one of the dogs, but that would have broken the points for Select. And yes, having Tony around is great. He has enough dogs to help build the points and steps in whenever we need him. I think he still has a genuine affection for Toby. Lots of breeders will try to support their dogs, but he really does go above and beyond.

Good luck in Duluth. I think you will do fine. We just got Toby out of puppy coat. Surprising amount of fur coming off a Smooth Chow. Didn't think it was possible.

Cindy, its something I failed to consider before both dogs got their CH. It wasn't too bad having a BOB and a Class dog, I could get in the ring for both for inspection and then just hand the 2nd off, but now they are both in at the same time. It's tough, and I have to figure out ahead of time which dog I think has a better chance with the judge, and how I would prefer points to go. Both dogs show better with me on the lead, so I pretty much know I am giving it away with the hand off (having Toby with Tony is the exception since he bred him and is a really good handler, but he generally has 4 or so entries, so that can't happen very often). If I can get Rory his GCH in the next 2 shows then that will be way easier, but not as simple as it sounds. To build the major we will have Toby's father and brother in the ring. His father is also going for GCH pts and his brother is stunning. If the brother behaves well in the ring it will be tough for any of us to take breed.

Enjoy the wedding 612...are they putting the dogs in tuxes? We will be off shows until August now. My sons wedding is July 23, so we have other activities between now and then. I think we are looking at a 1 day show in Greenfield, MA on Aug 6th and then Marlborough, MA on 8/19 & 8/20. Probably only going to do them if we can get the Major for males.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

The shows in Duluth were fun even though Spartacus got reserved both days to a very nice 2 year old male chow. It was his first indoor shows with about 1000 dogs and was good for him to be there. Walking him before the shows help him settle down some and I had to capture this picture while on our walk.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

HE REALLY LOOKS GREAT! How was the wedding?
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Thanks Cindy, the wedding was fun. Groom told me that he's never seen one either at a show but decided to ask. He figured the worst they could say is no. He even got the wedding to be in the premium for the shows. No shows for awhile so we're going to try to make it to some classes.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We don't have any shows for a couple months. Too busy to travel and nothing local. (and slight burn-out from hitting it so hard early on this year)
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Spartacus still has all his puppy fur, sure is soft. Ten months old and is very strong but sweet.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

He is a doll! I love his coat... and beautiful face!
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

Spartacus is looking very adorable. I wish I could pat his head and cuddle with it. There is nothing cuter in this world than a chow chow puppy. These puppies are heart of the house. Every one should get a chow chow. But make sure before you buy one that your house should be pet-friendly.
I love Chow Chow :P