Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

ika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Brian's First Snow

Post by ika »

Hello!

We're new to the forums here. Brian is a 14-week old cinnamon pup. He weighs in at about 24lbs and is a very sweet boy O:)

We had a big snow in Colorado recently and Brian went outside to play in the snow (for the first time since we've had him). He loves it!

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Brian's First Snow

Post by Pinoy51 »

Great looking boy. Too bad we don't have snow in the Philippines. Can imagine my guys would have a lot of fun too :lol:
Best regards
Pinoy51
ika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ika »

Thank you!

Actually, we have been thinking, is it possible that he is cream and not cinnamon? According the 'expected' coat color for pups his age, he seems to fit cream more than cinnamon:

http://chowclub.za.org/chow-chow-puppies.htm

"Cream chow chow puppy coats are a light cream colour with biscuit ears. The coat is soft to the touch. Gums will be pink. Tongue will be bluish to blue-black. Lips will be black. Nose will be black with a pinkish hue in some. Eyes will be dark brown. In the dilute cream, the ears will be fawn, the nose will be bluish with a pinkish hue to it. The lips will be dark grey and the eyes a grey-green colour, turning brown between 3-5 months of age."

Brian doesn't have any black or grey hairs. His gums are mainly pink with occasional black spotting. And his nose is very pink around the edges.

Thoughts anyone?
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

What color are his whiskers? If they are white or beige then he is a cream. If they are black then he is a cinnamon. Based on the edges of the nose though he is most likely a cream. The whiskers' color will confirm it. Creams whatever the shade will have light whiskers.
ika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ika »

Thanks Constantina! He does indeed have light colored whiskers (beige colored).

He must be a cream then! It's interesting to me because all the pictures of cream chows I have seen on the internet are much lighter in color.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

It shocked me too when I saw the Chow Chow cream color spectrum. Some looked outright light red to me! I also saw a red that was so light it looked cream. If they have black whiskers and paw pads they are considered red or cinnamon. Turn over Brian's paws. A cream will have pink or beige paws instead of black or even charcoal.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Handsome boy! He looks cinnamon to me, minus the usual black mask. Time will tell, but my avatar and signature photos are my female cream, of which she is on the dark end. I also have a male of the same color. Real variations are due to differences in shaded (lighter breeches and mane) and self (solid) colored animals.
ika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ika »

His paws are still black, however some pink is starting to show near the base of his pads (I suspect from going on walks on pavement and such). Who knows, they might turn completely pink :D

And thank you Auddymay! I'm excited to see what his adult coat will be like.

Here are a couple of pictures after Brian's first bath. He's waiting around in the kitchen while I try to figure out where I put the blowdryer.

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Such a cutie!

I was having a rough day at work yesterday. At breaktime I came to cc.org as I often do. I clicked on this forum to check out the latest pictures. Loved the snow picture of him and then continued thru the post. The “bath” pictures made me laugh. I guess I have a "off-the-wall" sense of funny. Look at that face and the expression. He’d be so embarrassed if he knew his mom posted them for all of us to see. Those 2 pics. stuck in my head and helped bolster the rest of my day. :)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

These photos just put a smile on my face too. And I needed
It!!
What a sweetie , wet, snowed on, or just posing love them!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

These pictures are simply adorable. Such a beautiful pup!
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

:D Almost looks like two different Chows. Love the background fuzziness...did you do that in post processing or in camera?
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
ika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ika »

Reddog, I'm glad that Brian helped bring smiles ^_^! And thank you chowpups and Cindy J.

DrewBear, the fuzzy background is the result of shooting with a shallow depth of field. However I know that you can apply blurs in some photo editing programs like Photoshop!

Here is another cute photo of Brian. He kind of looks like a panda bear eating bamboo though he is actually eating a piece of dried catfish skin :wink:

ika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ika »

And here are two more recent pictures of him playing with a puzzle treat toy!

ika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ika »

Upgrading to the next puzzle difficulty.

DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

ika wrote:DrewBear, the fuzzy background is the result of shooting with a shallow depth of field.
Ahhh...going old school. I doubt my digital camera's lens is fast enough (f 3.5 at ~30mm equivalent) to get similar results, but I'll play around with it and see what I get.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Back to the original question...cinnamon. He is already darker than a cream would be and they don't generally get lighter with age.