Chows with NO leash...Dont try this at Home

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chows with NO leash...Dont try this at Home

Post by kitten1426 »

This video was taken to show how you can train you dogs to have a good recall and be off leash..we did this with them as pups we would use treats they loved stood on either side of the yard and call them to you...once they got better we would do it with distractions..it works with all our 4 dogs..as you can see there are people out they do look but don't leave our property...so good luck maybe you can do this with yours...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXB_gF0LB2o
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chows with NO leash...Dont try this at Home

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I did the same training with my girl Tippsy when she was young but once she got it in her head that she wanted to explore, she was gone and NOT listening to anyone...

My mix boy Jasper can be out without a leash and mind completely. Doesn't matter what's going on. He won't even leave the property boundaries (with or without someone outside with him).

Now, my mix girl Dixie is a 50/50 shot on how she'll do without a leash. She comes when called most of the time, but there have been times I've had to chase her down. I just don't even give her the chance to be loose anymore. Too much of a risk.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Thanks for taking time to shoot the video. I gave this a try earlier today and my 14 week old pup seemed to catch on fairly quickly. I'll add it to his training regimen and introduce distractions gradually. What I remember with my previous Chow was that other dogs or animals tended to offer the biggest distractions. He really didn't care about other people regardless what they were doing. In any case, consistent & reliable recall is probably going to be the toughest training challenge.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our 3 dogs are great with other distractions Our Airedale well he can tend to be a challenge...lol..but he does listen well our chows wont move off our property even if there is another animal around don't get me wrong we are on them if they move tho...but they say practice makes perfect...lol....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

kitten1426 wrote:...our chows wont move off our property even if there is another animal around don't get me wrong we are on them if they move tho...but they say practice makes perfect...lol....
Or as some coaches used to tell me, perfect practice makes perfect. The training techniques do count for something. You & your wife clearly succeeded where many have not, so I'll gladly imitate...and we'll practice! :)
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Thanks....we try..lol...we are thinking of getting another Airedale pup training begins again we will do it the same way we taught our guys now...hopefully we get lucky and he listens too..LOL...Good Luck with your Pup keep us posted....if you have any questions just ask....