Smoothy with No Name

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Smoothy with No Name

Post by DrewBear »

Glue: He's from Rhenegade Chows in TN. It was my first time finding a pup via the internet, so you can imagine all the worse-case-scenarios running through my head. I know how randomly bad things can go even with the best intentions and planning. I feel very fortunate that Thor has been just about everything I could have hoped for.

ika: His face has grown longer and not quite as smooshy, but he's still an adorable fuzzball. Of course he's nearly tripled in weight and sometimes decides to sleep in slightly less cute (though still entertaining) positions.

'Bear' 1996 - 2011
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

19 weeks old today, 33+ lbs. Most of the puppy fuzz on his back has been replaced by coarser, longer fur. He’s enjoying the spring-like weather before more rain arrives tomorrow.

'Bear' 1996 - 2011
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Thor turned 5 months old on March 8th. He weighs over 36 lbs. and, according to an online dog weight calculator, he'll end up weighing ~51 lbs. when mature. Such estimates probably have a large margin of error, but I would be happy if he ended up being on the small side for a Chow. My niece would love it if he could stop growing today. :)

Does anyone know if his muzzle will stay "grey"? His undercoat is dark in some places and white in others.

'Bear' 1996 - 2011
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

23 weeks old, 40 lbs. Now the puppy weight calculator says he'll be 55 lbs. at maturity. I don't think I'll bother checking those sites again. He'll stop growing when it's the proper time.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

The calculator we used was almost dead on with our chow....very close to our Collie too...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

52 lbs. at 7 months. The photo is about a month old; his first trip to the beach.

'Bear' 1996 - 2011
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

He's beautiful! Such a handsome, squishy face! And that shorter coat must be helpful against the sand.

We live on the coast as well (about 20 minutes from the beach), but I don't think we'd dare take Louie. I can't imagine the nightmare experienced trying to clean sand and salt from his fur.

-Glue
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Thanks, Glue. I thought for sure he'd need a bath when we got home. But a walk through damp grass seemed to rinse the salt out and most of the sand dropped out on its own. I brushed him that evening and his fur felt clean, so I just left it alone. Next morning's walk in dewy grass gave him another quick rinse. He's 7.5 months old and he still hasn't needed a bath. I have cousins who are very sensitive to doggy scent and he's passed all their sniff tests so far. Rough coats are gorgeous and impressive, but I really love his smooth coat.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

8 months old today. I've been watching for signs of teen rebellion, but haven't seen any yet. The occasional dog at the park will bark or growl at him and he doesn't take it personally. A little terrier kept trying to hump him today and he just ignored him. A few weeks ago Thor did snarl at Border collie mix who barked and snapped at his face repeatedly. She took the hint and gave him more space. Here's hoping his temperament stays the same as he completes puppyhood.

'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Thor is looking very handsome. Hopefully those teenage years keep going smoothly for you!
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

He'd becoming a handsome, well rounded adult. Love Thor - it's been fun to watch him grow!

-Glue
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Cocoa wrote:Thor is looking very handsome. Hopefully those teenage years keep going smoothly for you!
Thanks, Cocoa. 10 1/2 months now and all is still well! Cross fingers, knock on wood and all that stuff.
gluesticks wrote:He'd becoming a handsome, well rounded adult. Love Thor - it's been fun to watch him grow!
Thanks, Glue. Here's a recent photo of him cooling down in the McCloud river (No. California) after a short hike. It's amazing how much faster the smooth coat dries! On the hike back to camp he picked up tons of dust on his wet fur, yet he dried off fairly clean within a couple of hours in the cool (low 70s) evening temps.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

He's now nearly 15 months old, but this 10 sec. vid was taken somewhere around his 1st birthday. You may need to click on the Youtube link to view the video: http://youtu.be/3lWUDnNWoUs

'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Clin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Smoothy with No Name

Post by Clin »

Try doing the name in lowercase. I cant remember if that has anything to do with it or not...

I always use

spoilernikstlitselpmur/spoiler